Law 19.5 (b) - Player With Foot In Touch Question

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
do you have to be stationary to take a QTI, or could the player throw it on the move?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
do you have to be stationary to take a QTI, or could the player throw it on the move?
The law is silent, so I see no reason why you should need to be stationary.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The law is silent, so I see no reason why you should need to be stationary.

this scenario, the first time it happens with a lot of distance at stake -- like 60 or 70m, is going to be quite entertaining to watch anyway :) the defenders have a lot of pitch to defend

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
never had to be stationary to take a QT - often done while moving, every time if taken to oneself !

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
never had to be stationary to take a QT - often done while moving, every time if taken to oneself !

that's true. but this ELV raises the spectre of someone taking a QTI while sprinting forwards -- that's new

I wonder if the QTI has to go flat or backward relative to the ground, or realtive to player taking the QTI ? the momentum QTI or the absolute QTI. You laugh, but with the new QTI that's going to be important. (I'd say absolute)

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
that's true. but this ELV raises the spectre of someone taking a QTI while sprinting forwards -- that's new

I wonder if the QTI has to go flat or backward relative to the ground, or realtive to player taking the QTI ? the momentum QTI or the absolute QTI. You laugh, but with the new QTI that's going to be important. (I'd say absolute)

I smell a 50 page momentum argument coming on...

(takes hat and skulks away)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
[LAWS]Law 19.2 (f) At a quick throw-in a player may throw the ball in straight along the line of touch or towards that player’s goal line.[/LAWS]There is also a handy diagram.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... I wonder if the QTI has to go flat or backward relative to the ground, or realtive to player taking the QTI ? the momentum QTI or the absolute QTI. You laugh, but with the new QTI that's going to be important. (I'd say absolute)
My guess is momentum will be ignored, so legally it either goes flat or it goes backwards. Forwards is not an option.

Don't forget if it does go forward, the LO / Scrum option is where the throw in was taken NOT where the original LO would have been. There could be a massive difference between the two, and may well concentrate the mind of the person sprinting down the touchline to take a QTI. TJs/ARs and refs will need to keep an eagle eye out for forward throws. :chin:

Last edited:

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
It may be worth noting that the next batch of ELVs (Experimental Law Variations) to be trialled in Cambridge IIRC will allow a QTI (Quick Throw In) between where the LO would be and the goal line.

Because currently that's what the lawbook says, BUT the lawbook nay be changed if the IRB like the ELV - please refer to the above.

I certainly like the sound of this, when will these laws be trialled and how may I stay updated on stuff like that? :D

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Next season IIRC. There's a thread on it HERE

Stick around mate. I get more updates from here than I get from our monthly meetings. :biggrin:

Apparently, my account does not meet the "sufficient privileges" needed to view that page? :(

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
[LAWS]Law 19.2 (f) At a quick throw-in a player may throw the ball in straight along the line of touch or towards that player’s goal line.[/LAWS]There is also a handy diagram.

But as I recall the description of a forward pass is remarkable similar and we say that the throw backwards is OK even if the ball in flight travels forwards.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Apparently, my account does not meet the "sufficient privileges" needed to view that page? :(
I've had a quick squint at the link, and it is in the "Referees Only" forum, which would explain why you (being a coach) may not be able to open it. If the original poster doesn't mind. perhaps the wording can be copied and pasted here.

Last edited:

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I don't have privileges to see this either. Can a mod let me in please?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I don't have privileges to see this either. Can a mod let me in please?

I have posted the list of ELVs here

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread...w-non-referee-to-see-them&p=202291#post202291

As there is already a thread on this in the Referee only forums, I have made this a closed thread that you should be able to see, but won't be able to post in.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
But as I recall the description of a forward pass is remarkable similar and we say that the throw backwards is OK even if the ball in flight travels forwards.
That doesn't matter. The two are different, and there is no possibility of confusing them. We already know that a throw forward is different from a knock-on.

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I've had a quick squint at the link, and it is in the "Referees Only" forum, which would explain why you (being a coach) may not be able to open it. If the original poster doesn't mind. perhaps the wording can be copied and pasted here.

O that's silly. When I first joined I said I was a player because it said if you have multiple involvements pick your main one, but I just changed it to referee because I am a referee as well; a new one at that but I am certified. :D

Last edited:

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I'm a ref and still cant get in!

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
O that's silly. When I first joined I said I was a player because it said if you have multiple involvements pick your main one, but I just changed it to referee because I am a referee as well; a new one at that but I am certified. :D

Well it can't exactly say if you are a referee pick 'referee' as it will allow you to get into our secret areas of the forum. If you are referee on a referees' forum, then you should probably pick it as that's what you are primarily going to gain from this site.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
The Referees area is for those who have chosen to be a referee as their main involvement in rugby, i.e have joined a society/association and are looking to improve their refereeing. Just being a qualified referee is not enough, though if you are not a society/association ref most of what is posted within it (which is mainly questions and queries about areas of our game that we don't want shared, silly mistakes, bad experiences, etc).

For those that do not referee nearly full time their understanding of law an it's interpretations can be significantly warped and sometimes obtuse, because they are looking at it from the wrong angle. Even didds, our most respected and liked non referee member does not have access.

That is why there is a system in place that tells us when someone has been around for long enough to need 'looking at'. By that point through their postings it will be obvious if they are a referee, or just pretending to be a referee (it happens).