Laws/Rules

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have never, since I've been refereeing decent grade rugby, pulled anyone up on saying rules instead of laws, I agree with you that it just makes the person asking the question think "What an arse!".

Are you listening, Phil?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Mornington Crescent! :clap:

Applying the current Olympics Rules Variations, and putting you in Nidd (look it up LLP !), I call Finchley Central (emulating Willie Rushton's 1969 superb call)

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Applying the current Olympics Rules Variations, and putting you in Nidd (look it up LLP !), I call Finchley Central (emulating Willie Rushton's 1969 superb call)

You can't - Willie's call was fine in 1969, and allowed under the Olympic variations brought in the previous year, but these were amended in 2000 as part of the End of the Millennium spring clean.

Do keep up, Simon.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
You can't - Willie's call was fine in 1969, and allowed under the Olympic variations brought in the previous year, but these were amended in 2000 as part of the End of the Millennium spring clean.

Do keep up, Simon.

Damn - I wasn't on the MC Update email list in 2000, so missed that. Thanks DaveT.

But some of the End of the Millennium spring clean changes in 2000 were removed after the Kilburn Amendment Trials in 2005, and only finally adopted under the DLR extension rule changes of 2010 ?

In which case I now call Canada Water (which gives me a Jubilee option too).

Davet

Post Likes
Damn - I wasn't on the MC Update email list in 2000,

Probably a secret email.

I bet Crossref didn't get it either.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
aside - does Mornington Crescent have Laws, or Rules?

perhaps it has stipulations.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
and putting you in Nidd (look it up LLP !),

The river in Knaresborough!

Rises near Whernside and flows through Pateley Bridge (and Knaresborough) and Cattal before joining the Ouse at Nun Monkton.

Cockfosters!

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
aside - does Mornington Crescent have Laws, or Rules?

perhaps it has stipulations.
Bearing in mind that the game centres around London's underground stations, surely it has Byelaws (note spelling, in accordance with the usage of TFL and the Greater London Authority Act of 1999).

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Bearing in mind that the game centres around London's underground stations, surely it has Byelaws (note spelling, in accordance with the usage of TFL and the Greater London Authority Act of 1999).

Dixie - only place suitable for you is Aldwych, under the October 1994 rule variant.

Davet

Post Likes
Crossref - that is old usage, but probably still understood by players. Much like laws and rules in rugby, the difference is immaterial but merely indicates the level and currency of your knowledge.

In the same way that the man who says "different from" looks with contempt on the bounder who says "different to"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Crossref - that is old usage, but probably still understood by players. Much like laws and rules in rugby, the difference is immaterial but merely indicates the level and currency of your knowledge.

In the same way that the man who says "different from" looks with contempt on the bounder who says "different to"

you are perceptive, Davet it is indeed quite a while since I reffed a game of Mornington (I've been in Nip for a few years)

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Way I look at it is that the sport has laws, whilst the competition has rules. Thus offside is a law, whilst the need to provide ID cards at a game is a rule,

Davet

Post Likes
Nah - its a competition regulation :horse::biggrin:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Bull & Bush (are stations that were made but never opened allowed?) 2012 RugbyRefs.com variation. :)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No, but I am thinking Dickie is an Arse!

you know those times when you come up with a witty and sparkling repartee days later? Phil, this ain't one of 'em.