Leggings

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
My lad reffed a Yr8 school game on Saturday. Two lads wearing leggings. He let it go. It was only 12 a side!

I will await RGJ's e-mail via the usual conduit!!!! :wow:

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
My lad reffed a Yr8 school game on Saturday. Two lads wearing leggings. He let it go. It was only 12 a side!

I will await RGJ's e-mail via the usual conduit!!!! :wow:

We have got it now though the society.

But no mention of what is classed as cold and no mention of the 2006 ruling.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
HOT OFF THE PRESS :wtf: :mad:

Email sent on behalf of Richard Glynne-Jones to all Referee Society Secretaries
Ladies and Gentlemen
Base Layer Stockings/Tights
You may have seen the following information in the October edition of ‘Touchline’:

“Following enquiries from coaches and parents, the RFU can confirm that it is permissible under RFU Regulations for young players, up to Under 18s, to wear base layer stockings or tights in cold weather, in accordance with IRB Regulation 12. This regulation states particular thickness. However, parents can assume that most common brands will comply, although players are permitted to wear them subject to the assessment of the match referee that the items are safe and pose no risk of injury to the wearer or other participants”

I’d like to apologise that you did not first see this information from this office; however this change is now applicable.

Please note that U18 year olds playing in the adult game may not wear base layer stockings/tights.

Regards

Richard

no mention of them actually putting this in the regulations then :sad:

leaving us in the position that
-- the IRB Laws and RFU Regulations say you can't wear leggings
-- but there is an announcement on touchline, backed up by a private email to refs, that declares that the regulations say that you can.

It seems to me that there are two different factions in the RFU, with different opinions. Surely the faction that actually write the regulations must win in the end. Meantime, howver, obviosuly leggings can be worn

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
hey - -can someone out there forward the email to me -- I'll stick it up here on the wiki page of important Law communications not on any website.

crossreffing@gmail.com

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
We have got it now though the society.

But no mention of what is classed as cold and no mention of the 2006 ruling.

Got it last night via Hon Sec so my bit of RFU land works ok!!!!!!! :wow::biggrin:

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
“Following enquiries from coaches and parents, the RFU can confirm that it is permissible under RFU Regulations for young players, up to Under 18s, to wear base layer stockings or tights in cold weather, in accordance with IRB Regulation 12. This regulation states particular thickness. However, parents can assume that most common brands will comply, although players are permitted to wear them subject to the assessment of the match referee that the items are safe and pose no risk of injury to the wearer or other participants”

er... The words "stockings, tights, base layer, leggings" do not appear anywhere in Regulation 12. Thickness is mentioned iro shin guards, shoulder pads, head gear, and chest pads which should not be thicker than 0.5cm when compressed

Law 4 lays down what may be worn. Regulation 12 gives safety parameters. No mention of leggings in either.

So I understand these 2 items to mean that leggings CANNOT BE WORN FFS!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:
http://www.irblaws.com/EN/laws/2/4/before-the-match/players-clothing/

http://www.irb.com/mm/document/lawsregs/0/060924gfirbregulation12_879.pdf

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
er... The words "stockings, tights, base layer, leggings" do not appear anywhere in Regulation 12. Thickness is mentioned iro shin guards, shoulder pads, head gear, and chest pads which should not be thicker than 0.5cm when compressed

Law 4 lays down what may be worn. Regulation 12 gives safety parameters. No mention of leggings in either.

So I understand these 2 items to mean that leggings CANNOT BE WORN FFS!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

http://www.irb.com/mm/document/lawsregs/0/060924gfirbregulation12_879.pdfhttp://www.irblaws.com/EN/laws/2/4/before-the-match/players-clothing/

yes, you are right.
- the IRB regualtion outlaw leggings
- there are no RFU regualtions that would vary that in England
- but there is a piece in touchline and now a secret email claiming that the regualtions allow leggings.

what a mess

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
may I direct readers to post #1 - please read on from that juncture :)

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
may I direct readers to post #1 - please read on from that juncture :)

didds

It's amusing to the recall that the very post referred to a secret email from the IRB and the RFU -- that turned out didn't exist.

OFFICIAL NOTICE TO ALL PLAYERS
The use of leggings/tights/skins has been outlawed by the IRB as from 1st March 2010 and ratified by the R.F.U.
Therefore the use of the above is NOT allowed at the National Sevens.
This applies equally to the BOYS and GIRLS tournaments

there was, of course no change in the Laws or Regualtions in 1 March 2010. The Law on leggings was established in 2006 (by defining underwear in a way that excludes leggings) and hasn't changed since.

It's a great example of how Laws-by-secret-email causes problem. Everyone thinks they have seen an email somewhere, if only they could lay their hands on it.

In two years time people will be searching for old Touchlines....

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
actually it's very Orwellian that the first change on leggings for five years claims that there has been no change...

... U18s may wear leggings when it's cold, therefore U18s have always been able to wear leggings when it's cold
... I love Rob Andrew.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
hey, thanks for the people who sent me the email... I have it now

and guess what? I also received it from the RFU just this morning also -- email sent to CRefCs :)

my first ever secret email. I am made up :pepper:

I have decided I won't forward the mail to my club-refs, rather I will simply hint of its existence :)

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I assume my colleague Mr Thomas will be of the opinion that "cold" is in the region of minus 40.

Which would neatly solve the problem.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
mrs crossref defines 'cold' as anything below about 20... then the heating comes on.

(I should buy her some leggings...)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I assume my colleague Mr Thomas will be of the opinion that "cold" is in the region of minus 40.

Which would neatly solve the problem.

Why?

All I can think of is -40deg C = -40 deg F

Or is that it?:confused:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
lee - either Dave got lucky or yes, by saying "minus 40" there can be no confusion :)

didds

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
HELP-guessing RG-J's email by saying the dispensation doesn't extend to U18's in adult games means it doesn't extend to lady students playing U19 scrum variation only ??/ somewhere in this thread (back in the mists of time) we covered this but i have ladies tomorrow and my brain is already scrambled by a 6 week injury layoff compounded by 2 in the caribbean sun!! Think i will go with the "its strictly contra reg. so don't be surprised if next weeks ref says "get em off" but if both skips are o.k. with it today so am i."