Leggings

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I assume my colleague Mr Thomas will be of the opinion that "cold" is in the region of minus 40.

Which would neatly solve the problem.

The matter of the Touchline announcement and R G-J's closed distribution RFU email and 'leggings' were discussed for a nano-second at HRURS Committee last night.

Decision was to get our referees to manage the wearing of them and make their own judgement as to 'cold'; however with the removal of CRBs and already experienced guerilla tactics of the nose-out-of-joint PC brigade, we will urge on the side of caution and allowance when there is any doubt.

In answer to two of our members who have requested if they could wear them, I have asked for their names from Mr Secretary and will organise an appropriate 'man-up' session, probably involving wheelie bins & iced water.

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
S-T -can we send our pussycat BCM down for that sesh.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Does BCM fit into a wheelie-bin still, after all that NZ hospitality ?

Sorry Brian, couldn't resist it.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
HELP-guessing RG-J's email by saying the dispensation doesn't extend to U18's in adult games means it doesn't extend to lady students playing U19 scrum variation only ??/ somewhere in this thread (back in the mists of time) we covered this but i have ladies tomorrow and my brain is already scrambled by a 6 week injury layoff compounded by 2 in the caribbean sun!! Think i will go with the "its strictly contra reg. so don't be surprised if next weeks ref says "get em off" but if both skips are o.k. with it today so am i."

The only reason they have done this I reckon is to avoid libel from any Child Protection agencies.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
lee - either Dave got lucky or yes, by saying "minus 40" there can be no confusion :)

didds

No luck involved; when referring to minus 40 then C or F is irrelevant.

Equally cold, and never seen in UK.
So neither would leggings be.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Level 11 friendly yesterday. After half time a sub came on wearing leggings. The referee asked him to take them off, and he did. :clap::clap::clap:

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
Colts' league match this afternoon, after checking studs, home team went into dressing room and two players emerged having changed into leggings. On my pointing out that they were not allowed, home coach insisted that they were and his team were not going to change. On my informing him that if they were wearing them on the pitch as I blew the whistle to start the match, I would immediately stop the match and RC both of them, he agreed to change but would lodge a formal complaint 'first thing in the morning'. Should be interesting.

NM

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Colts' league match this afternoon, after checking studs, home team went into dressing room and two players emerged having changed into leggings. On my pointing out that they were not allowed, home coach insisted that they were and his team were not going to change. On my informing him that if they were wearing them on the pitch as I blew the whistle to start the match, I would immediately stop the match and RC both of them, he agreed to change but would lodge a formal complaint 'first thing in the morning'. Should be interesting.

NM
Colts U19?
Then yes you were right, unless it was U18 and cold

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
Definitely U19 - though in the bar afterwards I found out that one of the props celebrates his 17th birthday next week - this despite my clearly asking coaches before the match if all their players were of the correct age!!! Incidently, he was as big as an other prop out there and probably the best!

What more can we do?

NM

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Definitely U19 - though in the bar afterwards I found out that one of the props celebrates his 17th birthday next week - this despite my clearly asking coaches before the match if all their players were of the correct age!!! Incidently, he was as big as an other prop out there and probably the best!

What more can we do?

NM

nothing wrong with that - U19 games can have players from any one of three age groups (starting at U17).

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
Oh good - I thought that that colts were 18 and 19 year olds. Could you not have posted a little earlier, you would have saved me what is now an embarrassing e-mail to my Society sec. asking him to warn other referees!!!!!!!!!!!!?(Insert little red faced smiley thingy)

NM

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes

What more can we do?

NM

No problems but its the individual that has to be 18 and below.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

NM

I am curious -- did the coach cite the recent piece in RFU Touchline in an attempt to justify his stance? IE was he aware of the change (but confused as to the age groups that it applies to) or was this just 'they have been wearing them for years and no one else complained'

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
His team having been heavily beaten - no doubt to lack of leggings!!!! - the coach made no attempt to speak to me in the clubhouse afterwards so I really have no idea of the grounds on which he based his comments. Will wait, but not holding my breath, for his formal complaint.

Incidentally, Hon Sec confirmed that it was permissable for U17 to play colt's rugby, even in the front row, so all right there.

Many thanks.

NM

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
st.andrews day game- balmy autumnal evening at richmond - BOTH LSRFUF AR's in trackie bottoms and they were on the telly too!!! words will be had.

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thought I had my first case of adult leggings this afternoon. He was wearing long-ish undershorts and had turned up his socks so they met in the middle and then taped round the joint!