Leicester v Bath

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Fantastic refereeing and TMO'ing.

Also, compliments must also go to the commentators, thought about their opinions, and what had happened, and knew that it should be (and ultimately was) two red cards.

Proof that education of the TV guys is progressing!

You could almost hear Healey's brain trying to process the "where the hell do I go now? He just made an unarguable point".

Is this the same austin healy that played for leicester ??:smile:

Did he get a brain inserted at the same time as his hair??:shrug:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Ask this. Which is worse, a high tackle or a punch to the head?
Wrong question.
Which is worse: THIS high tackle, or THIS punch to the head?

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I can't accept that. [LAWS]10.4.l Retaliation. A player must not retaliate. Even if an opponent is infringing the Laws, a player must not do anything that is dangerous to the opponent. Sanction: Penalty kick [/LAWS] It is clearly covered above.
Deacon took the law into his own hands through serious foul play. He didn't wait for TW's decision. For me that is always a reversal of the penalty when the retaliation is clear and obvious.
Exception: In the circumstance where two players are punching each other and it could be argued that the player who initially received the first punch was defending themselves. e.g. Cudmore v O'Connell, Marler v Ayerza

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I can't accept that. [LAWS]10.4.l Retaliation. A player must not retaliate. Even if an opponent is infringing the Laws, a player must not do anything that is dangerous to the opponent. Sanction: Penalty kick [/LAWS] It is clearly covered above.
Deacon took the law into his own hands through serious foul play. He didn't wait for TW's decision. For me that is always a reversal of the penalty when the retaliation is clear and obvious.
Exception: In the circumstance where two players are punching each other and it could be argued that the player who initially received the first punch was defending themselves. e.g. Cudmore v O'Connell, Marler v Ayerza
The law says nothing about reversal.

Scenario: Player A kicks an opponent in the head. Player B runs up and punches Player A on the back of his head. If you would automatically reverse the penalty, I would be astonished.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Do you do this with any retaliation?

One player high tackles as above, and a second the pushes him to the ground, it's stillretaliation but are you still going to reverse? Reversal should not be automatic.

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
I'm impressed with the calm and method this has been dealt with, very nice piece of refereeing indeed...

On the reversal, I agree with Robbie and others, it can't be automatic, it would be too unfair. Now would have I reverted it in that particular case, I honestly don't know...

Lastly, I still have a question on protocol: why didn't the ref have a word with his AR who's flag was up?
(it might be a dull question as I'm not aware of the actual propotocol involving TMO for foul play).

Cheers,
Pierre.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm impressed with the calm and method this has been dealt with, very nice piece of refereeing indeed...

On the reversal, I agree with Robbie and others, it can't be automatic, it would be too unfair. Now would have I reverted it in that particular case, I honestly don't know...

Lastly, I still have a question on protocol: why didn't the ref have a word with his AR who's flag was up?
(it might be a dull question as I'm not aware of the actual propotocol involving TMO for foul play).

Cheers,
Pierre.

I thought he did - something like 'I want to look at the whole thing upstairs' AR says 'agreed'

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
I thought he did - something like 'I want to look at the whole thing upstairs' AR says 'agreed'

He did... My bad... The video takes a new sense with proper headphones and louder volume ;)

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Do you do this with any retaliation?

One player high tackles as above, and a second the pushes him to the ground, it's stillretaliation but are you still going to reverse? Reversal should not be automatic.

Ok my comment was too strong and poorly thought out. There are many cases that you don't reverse the penalty. For Rob's example I wouldn't reverse because one is a RC an the other is a "be careful, there's no need for that."
My issue with Deacon's punch is that both offenses deserve as high a sanction as one could give and secondly Deacon wasn't high tackled, he acted out of his own free will.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Deacon 1 week
Bananaman 3 weeks
Mears also banned (2 weeks I think - for 2 sneaky punches)
Also anyone know what Lowe (sp?) got he got the first red card

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
According to the Beeb, case dismissed

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Am I the only one who sees the cause of this whole incident?

2:48 in the video, #6 Leicester sheilding with his hip and attempt with left foot.

The only reason he punched 12 was to cover up his own f-up. The real cause of the whole of his teammates injury.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
3:04 + is a better look, tsk tsk. The same tactic landed a welsh player a bash in the head vs. NZ

Perhaps the ref should have awarded the first pk to white for obstruction, the second tweet to green for high tackle, and a third tweet back to white for the punch. justification 2 out of 3 wins

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Not surprised about Lowe, didn't see any footage of "the elbow"

Didn't see the Mears incident

Banahan, i think the "outcome" made it wose than it was, yes 6 got in his way, but that's part of the modern game :shrug: that said, it's Banahan's responsibility to make a safe "hit". Having looked at it a few times i just wonder if the KO was due to the green player landing on Banahans foot :chin: as the contact seems to be across the shoulder and not the head/jaw? just thought i'd throw that one in there.

Deacon 1 week, for a girly punch, more i think trying to make a point of not getting invloved!

The YC for Donold was a joke, but i think by then the TO3 had decided to take a very firm hand and were not going to stand for anything :knuppel2:

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Just cos there's no footage of something isn't enough to dismiss the case. The ARs view of things would be taken as that of an impartial witness. There must be footage proving that he made an error.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
you're right, should have put the same as the Mears, "didn't see it" and there appears to be no footage for "joe public" so can't comment

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
There was footage of Mears - he had two swings at a player on the ground as he went to ground with him. Austin Healey mentioned it, and they replayed it on a couple of occasions

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
There was footage of Mears - he had two swings at a player on the ground as he went to ground with him. Austin Healey mentioned it, and they replayed it on a couple of occasions

any idea on a time on that one? Not that it matters, he's got 2 weeks, just interested?

Seems strange in that game that there is a scuffle that Donold gets binned, Mears takes 2 swings and gets 2 weeks, Deacon throws a "punch" and gets a RC and another week, bit of a mess really?

john

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
The YC for Donold was a joke, but i think by then the TO3 had decided to take a very firm hand and were not going to stand for anything :knuppel2:

To be fair to the TO3, the TMO called it in himself, looked at the footage and then gave the decision. From what I saw on TV, the AR on that side saw it and thought nothing of it, which was the right decision IMO.