Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
So what do we make of this?

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
My question is what its the proper restart? Penalty for the high tackle? Penalty for the retaliatory punch?

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
He asks the TMO and uses the Wayne Barnes logic - high tackle worse than the retaliation - go with that.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
With sensible use of his TMO I think he got it right.

Banahan's tackle was not deliberate, and was at speed, but still a RC offence; Deacon was just a numpty and deserved his RC.

Totally agree with the first offence decision, not the retaliation offence, on this occasion, against the usual prototcols.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Go with ST

Straight RC for both

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
really? red cards for both, given what else goes on at that level?

for me, bananaman was reckless and deserved a yellow. deacon was daft, and also deserved yellow (given it was immediate rather than coming in from a distance). neither was worthy of a red, subject to my above caveat.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
You see, it's not just the All Blacks that refs hate.

Everyone wants to punish the most excellent sides.

:pepper:

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I still can't understand how he restarted the game. What happened to:
"Due to the tackle we were going to restart with a penalty to green. However, 6 green then took the law into his own hands and for that the penalty is being reversed. At no point do you take the law into your own hands."

Swiss Ref

Post Likes
Wished I had a TMO!

The guy here was spot on, right decisions handled well.

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I still can't understand how he restarted the game. What happened to:
"Due to the tackle we were going to restart with a penalty to green. However, 6 green then took the law into his own hands and for that the penalty is being reversed. At no point do you take the law into your own hands."

I agree. But in this situation so close to the Leicester line, reversing the penalty would give Bath the opportunity to score from a PK and benefit from a dangerous high tackle.

Get a red card, and score 3 points doesn't seem right.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I agree. But in this situation so close to the Leicester line, reversing the penalty would give Bath the opportunity to score from a PK and benefit from a dangerous high tackle.

Get a red card, and score 3 points doesn't seem right.

But that's the punishment for Leicester starting a brawl. The area of the pitch is unfortunate but it follows one of the most basic principles of discipline in rugby.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Fantastic refereeing and TMO'ing.

Brilliantly handled by Tim Wigglesworth, taking his time, asking the right questions.

Also, compliments must also go to the commentators, thought about their opinions, and what had happened, and knew that it should be (and ultimately was) two red cards.

Proof that education of the TV guys is progressing!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I was pleased to see that the referee did NOT automatically reverse the penalty, but stuck with the more serious offence.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I was pleased to see that the referee did NOT automatically reverse the penalty, but stuck with the more serious offence.

How did you come to that conclusion? (the more serious offence)

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
The one that had the potential to be more serious.

Had the puncher ran in and king hit white 12, it would probably have been a different outcome.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Agree this is what I meant by the Wayne Barnes route.

In a Leicester v ?Quins game Leicester Prop head butted oppo - opposite number punches him twice.

'We are sticking with the PK for the headbutt as that is the more serious offence'.

I think that the ESPN commentors show the way to SKY. Ben Kay I find actually very considered - his descriptions of what's happening in the tight are excellent.

I also think he called the original offence correctly i.e. really bad but unintetional - then goes on to explain 'but he has a duty of care to the guy he's tackling' :smile:

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Now we're looking at degrees of punch / high tackle.
Ask this. Which is worse, a high tackle or a punch to the head?

Agree with Toby. Ben Kay is the best in the NH. Keeps a lid on Healey too. (Well as much as is possible)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I was impressed with the use of the phrase "duty of care" - it shows that Kay understands the framework that the law is trying to establish, as opposed to the literal wording of the law alone.

You could almost hear Healey's brain trying to process the "where the hell do I go now? He just made an unarguable point".