Level 1 Yoyo endurance verses the Beep test !

rugbyslave

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I have a question on the yoyo endurance and the beep test,they are both used at our referees society.
The beep test is run on the athletic track and the yoyo isrun on the grass.
The elite referees have to run a level 13 beep test or a level 18 yoyo.
The beginners need to run a level 8 beep or a level 16 yoyo, which to me doesnot make any sense.
The yoyo being run on grass will be a lot harder to achieve.
Does anybody have any idea what the equivalent levels are betweenthe beep and the yoyo, run on the same surface.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Those YoYo levels sound very high.

Our Level 5 refs only have to get a YoYo of 16?

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Our (with my HP refs hat on) requirements for the YoYo is 18-19 as acceptable, with the equivalent for the beep being 12.6-13.5. The optimal is > 19, or > 13.6 for the beep.

I do the yoyo, simply b/c one wrong turn at the higher levels on the beep make it impossible to catch up, whereas the 10s break on the yoyo helps loads.

rugbyslave

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I have now used a formula to convert the YoYo test to the equivelant of the beep test, I used the formula match VO2 max levels of the beep and the YoYo. It is very odd as you only need to run level 14 on the YoYo to get to level 8 on the beep. The problem for the elite referees is they need to run a level 13 beep which now with the equation means that they will have to run a level 20 rep 4 on the yoyo. This is massive.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I think you're trying to compare apples & pears and it doesn't work.

Remember the beep is non stop, the yoyo isn't.
There are comparative levels that have been worked out, Bryan gave you them for elite refs, which makes me wonder why your refs are trying to get as high as your games won't be as demanding as theirs.

Each to their own I suppose.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think you're trying to compare apples & pears and it doesn't work.

Remember the beep is non stop, the yoyo isn't.
There are comparative levels that have been worked out, Bryan gave you them for elite refs, which makes me wonder why your refs are trying to get as high as your games won't be as demanding as theirs.

Each to their own I suppose.

What's wrong with being fitter than you level of game needs?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
What's wrong with being fitter than you level of game needs?

Nothing at all, and for all aspiring development referees it is a must. As is speed over 15-20 metres - once paced ponies will never get beyond L8 usually.

When I watch a L6 referee to make a recommendation if they have 'potential' for Group (and by definition National Panel too) I need to see National Panel level of fitness and short distance speed to make the recommendation.

rugbyslave

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
The problem I have is that the point of a beep and a YoYois to check fitness via VO2 max, nothing else can be taken out of those two tests. The referee with the Level 19 YoYo might be fit but have bad running lines and is therefore always behind the game. We had the fitness test a few days back and almost all the referees made level 18 to level 20 on the yoyo.
I Pointed this out to the few who train with me and the difference will be onfield coaching, we will have to have two coaches on each side of the field and help them to become better referees( using radio comms) , not to influence the game but to help them with positioning and lines. They must know their laws backwards and they must be confident when enforcing the law.
We will go through the drills and scenarios and try to help them with their game in practice.
The one problem we always have is that the more junior a referee you are , the more likely to be given U13 or lower and these games need to be managed and the laws have to be given with a shout at the player or having to actually pull the player on- side, at all cost do not enforce the laws without managment.
We hope to succeed and help to produce great referees.

Last edited:

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
the difference will be onfield coaching, we will have to have two coaches on each side of the field and help them to become better referees( using radio comms) , not to influence the game but to help them with positioning and lines.
The one problem we always have is that the more junior a referee you are , the more likely to be given U13 or lower and these games need to be managed and the laws have to be given with a shout at the player or having to actually pull the player on- side, at all cost do not enforce the laws without managment.

Ok from my point of view never ever ever use comms to talk to a referee unless a match offical, AR, no4, TMO. Never as a coach. In RFU land if a player has to be sent off, people get into a whole world of problems as the coach told the ref to send him off. Its happened in our area before.
All levels should be about management not just U13 ;)

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Now we must make a difference.

A Referee at Elite Levels needs 4 things to succeed:

1, Fitness
2, Law Knowledge
3, Management
4, Movement (Good Positioning)

Take away any of those and you are not an elite referee. Fitness alone is never enough.

I have no problem with referees being very fit, by why have a requirement to be fitter than the game you are refereeing? The minimum should be 'As fit as'.

It seems rugbyslave's post that he is in a place where they are already looking at their top refs, so the only promotoion would be to an international panel of some sorts (FIRA/IRB, etc...).

The coaching should never include onfield coaching, it removes the referees focus from the game and takes away the respect that players will show him, it will probably also inject confusion as they award a penalty for one thing but your comms is telling them another. And if you have one on both sides you may be talking over each other.

Better system would be to video the referee and review the tape with them, understand where their strengths and weaknesses are and ask them to focus on no more than three of them at each game after. Personal mentor is always good too.

rugbyslave

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Hi Robert, you give good reasons to stay away from the onfield coaching, this was never done before and perhaps I was naive in thinkingwe could get away with this. I have seen a software program called"Fairplay" which uses video and the commands a ref makes anddocuments them together, and so we could keep a documented video of eachreferee and follow their progress.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You do know there are two different Yo Yo tests?

If I remember from my CD they are the Level 1 and level 2 Yo Yo's.

They start in different places and the increments are not the same.

We use the Level 1.

rugbyslave

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Hi Phil, I did see the YoYo level 2 which starts very high and increments dramatically; I suppose they use that for professional runners.
Now that we are in Holiday season, I hope the referees just keep core and fitness stable, lots of swimming and beach training.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Now that we are in Holiday season, I hope the referees just keep core and fitness stable, lots of swimming and beach training.

I find 3 or 4 games a week keeps me fit throughout the season.

NB: I am as far from the sea as it is possible to get in England :frown:

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Royal Navy were always water shy.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Hmmm got my Yo Yo test on the 5th June.
Have to reach level 20 (15km/h). Now the problem is. I've only just been cleared for light exercise after my DVT. Any idea how to whip my body into shape in 2 weeks?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Have to reach level 20 (15km/h). Now the problem is. I've only just been cleared for light exercise after my DVT. Any idea how to whip my body into shape in 2 weeks?

Level 20?

The levels we were required to do were around 14/15/16 depending on grading.

Are we comparing apples with oranges?

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes

Level 20?! Sounds rather drastic for L10.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes

Which test is that?

The RFU Panel guys need to hit Level 16.2
I think IRB is 'only' 19

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
It's level 20 40 meter shuttle. 20 out 20 back 10sec recovery. Lvl 1 yo yo.
Ive not changed my lvl sorry. I'm doing it to get onto Federation. Group need to get lvl 30.

Here is the tintermyther

Gents
For those of you that either need to complete the above test for your RFU/EC Grading or also for those within S&NE who would like to complete the test it will be held at BSE RFU on their AWP at 7pm on Thursday 5th June, bring your trainers.

The test is the Yo Yo IRTL Level one and can be seen on you tube, it is a series of 40m sprints (20m out + 20m back) with a 10 second recovery period after each return leg and the required level to achieve for EC level 8,7 & 6 refs is as follows:

Level 20 with a final running speed of 15 KPH,
L6 progressive / RFU refs the required level is 30 with a final running speed of 16.3KPH