Line-out, yes or no?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I'm not a fan of tailoring laws because a jurisdiction can't/won't resource ARs or TJs. If it makes sense to have ARs/TJs then sort that out
i dont diagree - but the reality here in England at least from decades of expereince, is that Ars are only appointed above about L4 (or so?) - the rest is TJs which may well be somebody off a sub's bench who has never read the alws let alone know this year's law changes.

So in effect you are still left witha ref making that call form 40m away 50 degrees to the ball's flight

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
It was the other way round really, the old laws that we had for decades were written so that they worked for everyone, whether you had ARs or not. The newer laws were written with pro rugby in mind
This.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm not a fan of tailoring laws because a jurisdiction can't/won't resource ARs or TJs. If it makes sense to have ARs/TJs then sort that out
Getting ARS = Easier said than done. We struggle for referees let alone ARs.
TJs? No problem getting them but they rarely know any law and they are one from each team so unreliable at best.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
TJs? No problem gettingthem but they rarely know any law and they are one fro meach team so unreliable at best.
Yes, and when they are doing their best
Ask them if a players foot was out or in, you will get a sensible answer
Ask them about whether ball or player had passed the plane of touch ... blank stare

Nilo

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The other thing I would change is to not allow a player standing outside the playing area to jump into the playing area catching the ball if it has gone beyond the plane. If you want to jump and play the ball you should have to start that from on the pitch and if you catch the ball finish on the pitch too!
I'd sooner say let this always be play on. I find it's better to have a flowing and non-disrupted game. If it goes out, now we have another (potentially slow) lineout to manage!

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Getting ARS = Easier said than done. We struggle for referees let alone ARs.
TJs? No problem getting them but they rarely know any law and they are one from each team so unreliable at best.
oh and next time mate don't say the ball went out exactly on the 22 or the half way line! :ROFLMAO:

Pinky2

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Key decision is the same whatever they say! Out on the 22 means inside! Easier to get lineout straight if there is a line there!

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Key decision is the same whatever they say! Out on the 22 means inside! Easier to get lineout straight if there is a line there!
The 22 is quite easy. As you say if the line is up the middle then it is in, but the half way line is a problem. Which half is it in?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The 22 is quite easy. As you say if the line is up the middle then it is in, but the half way line is a problem. Which half is it in?
I suppose same issue as scrum on halfway

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Yes, and when they are doing their best
Ask them if a players foot was out or in, you will get a sensible answer
Ask them about whether ball or player had passed the plane of touch ... blank stare
Fra better to ask them to show you where the player's foot was (or where the ball landed) - then you can make your own decision against the same set of consistent variables. Saves them making a law decision.

Likewise - where did the ball reach?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think you are saying the same thing as me: don't expect them to be able to help with plane of touch decisions

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I suppose same issue as scrum on halfway

Weeeeeel...if the mark is on the halfway, and the SH is allowed to have his left shoulder in line with the mark, then the ball is always in his half isn't it?

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Touch
  1. The ball is in touch or touch-in-goal when the ball or ball-carrier touches the touchline, touch-in-goal line or anything beyond.
  2. The ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal if:
    1. A player jumps, from within or outside the playing area, and catches the ball, and then lands in the playing area
    2. A player jumps from the playing area and knocks (or catches and releases) the ball back into the playing area, before landing in touch or touch-in-goal
who put the ball in touch: the last player to play it when it was not in touch.
if a player in touch catches or picks up a moving ball, he has not put it into touch. If he picks up a stationary ball he has put it into touch.

No need to judge the plane

The information in bold is incorrect. It used to be correct, but this was changed a few years ago because it was considered negative play... if a player in touch catches or picks up the ball, that player has chosen to take the ball into touch and will not be rewarded with possession.

Law 18.1.II
The ball is in touch or touch-in-goal when:
If the ball has not reached the plane of touch when it is caught or picked up, the catcher is deemed to have taken the ball into touch, regardless of whether the ball was in motion or stationary.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The information in bold is incorrect. It used to be correct, but this was changed a few years ago because it was considered negative play... if a player in touch catches or picks up the ball, that player has chosen to take the ball into touch and will not be rewarded with possession.

Law 18.1.II
The ball is in touch or touch-in-goal when:
If the ball has not reached the plane of touch when it is caught or picked up, the catcher is deemed to have taken the ball into touch, regardless of whether the ball was in motion or stationary.
Stu you need to re read my post, dickie asked me what law changes I would like to make, and that was my answer