Lost Voice

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
no support in Law for the unopposed scrum, but not something to get uptight about when you have won so convincingly and got the scrum possession.

move on, this guy is an idiot

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
My flabber is well and truely gasted ,why on earth would he want the game abandoned on 50 mins??? especially when winning?? threatening formal "compliant" about a minor error in law ?/WTF??? I would more einclined to identify him and have "a quiet word" with his line manager about abusing his RFU livery and undermining respect for officials by his post match behaviour...but maybe better let it go there are idiots everywhere..

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Agreed.

if someone like t hat wrote to me as President about one of my refs, I'd give him the polite "thanks. Always great to get feedback on our referees. You obviously take keen interest in refereeing. Could we see you taking up the whistle?" replies.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
no support in Law for the unopposed scrum, but not something to get uptight about when you have won so convincingly and got the scrum possession.

move on, this guy is an idiot

in case of any confusion, I agree 100% with Simon.

didds

Andrew1974

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had a similar situation where I blew up for safety with one team clearly in possiton in a relatively good position.

As we were about to form the scrum, I just mentioned to the captain on the team not in possession that he might like to let them win the scrum, to which he agreed and we had a gentle, but no totally uncotested scrum. Seemed the most equitable soluation to me, so I'm with OP on this one - irrespective of what the laws say!

Andrew

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Let's hunt him down and flog him for making a fellow referee worry.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Leek won a match 84 - 17

Hmnnnnn , a 67 point'er pointer ?

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Leek won a match 84 - 17...
Well Sherlock,
Leek's game was posponed last weekend. Their run-away result was appearantly last October while they were playing at home.

We know, Na Madrai's with North Midlands Society of Rugby Football Referees (NMSRFR)
& refs Level 7 which is "Midlands League 2" :
Sat 22nd Feb, 14:15 Midlands 2 East (South)
Northampton BBOB 5 V 73 Wellingborough
Click for match report - Written by the visiting team, no mention of referee.
The score difference is slightly off, no match report available as yet.

Their opening game of the season was a more balanced affair by all accounts : Sat 21st Sep 2013, 15:00 Midlands 2 East (South). Wellingborough 27 - 15 Northampton BBOB And 'boro were expecting more of the same this time.

Na Madrai I hope it has all been put to bed by now.

Last edited:

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have made the Society secretary aware of the situation but to date, there would appear to have been no further action. Can only wait and see but am absolutely not worried at all.

What I am more worried about is receipt of an e-mail from SS asking for comments about any incidents that occured in a match that took place early in the New Year!!!! I have checked the diary and have nothing noted so presumably there were no incidents, but if not, then why the e-mail?

Will have to go sit in a quiet corner with a glass of Guinness and put the old grey matter to work. I have refereed fifteen matches since so could be hard going......

NM

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
So we were sent a bum steer on the 67 margin, damn that NM chap.

I had a home team accuse opponent of an eye gouge, granted there was a red mark on a home players upper cheek, but I'd not personally seen an offence attempted. Post match I was asked to witness a complaint report, I declined and said I'd note their allegation as a 'footnote' on the red card report that I was completing for their player kicking an opponent in the head.

I've since heard that the allegation has been reported, but I've not been approached to comment by my Society.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
NM - I wouldn't waste your time. If you didn't recall anything post-match back then you aren't going to do it now.

didds

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
No no, the 67 point margin was quite correct! I've inadvertently stumbled upon the match report of the winning team in question as I have them in a match next week.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
So we were sent a bum steer on the 67 margin, damn that NM chap.

I had a home team accuse opponent of an eye gouge, granted there was a red mark on a home players upper cheek, but I'd not personally seen an offence attempted. Post match I was asked to witness a complaint report, I declined and said I'd note their allegation as a 'footnote' on the red card report that I was completing for their player kicking an opponent in the head.

I've since heard that the allegation has been reported, but I've not been approached to comment by my Society.

You can only penalise, sanction and report what you saw. Such requests to our Society are answered simply with "The Referee did not see any of the actions alleged to have taken place"

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Anyone who tells you they are going to formally complain wont.

In this incident I would have gone to uncontested although you still have CBS at uncontested scrums.

The real and correct answer would have been to abandon the game due to referee injury.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Why didn't the RFU man get his kit out of his liveried car boot and offer to step in?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Why didn't the RFU man get his kit out of his liveried car boot and offer to step in?

Probably because he wasn't a referee - who do not get RFU cars ! Those referees I know who are also RFU employees and have Training / RDO / Community jobs that means a RFU car, would have had a quiet discrete word and asked if Na was ok and if he needed any assitance.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

Ha ha ha ha ha ............ unpaid volunteering, he's moved on since then!