[Law] Marler grope

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
How would you know the player was gay?

Well, we have at least one tea that is branded as "gay" in our area.
A little like Kings Cross Steelers.

My point is that touching like that fails the 'bantz' test immediately. Shall we wait to see how Wee Eck's trial plays out to see where the line lies on touching without consent?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
This isn't a trial , it's a disciplinary, there is no jury

I was referring to the jury-judge-executioner role of the referee, rather than the panel. FTR.

HTH!

didds

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Well, we have at least one tea that is branded as "gay" in our area.
A little like Kings Cross Steelers.

My point is that touching like that fails the 'bantz' test immediately. Shall we wait to see how Wee Eck's trial plays out to see where the line lies on touching without consent?

WE also have several. However in most cases you would be having to guess surely.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
should the defendant's previous be considered/known by the jury?

didds

That would come in under "Previous record" surely. The panel consider it after guilt is established when setting the tarrif.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
That would come in under "Previous record" surely. The panel consider it after guilt is established when setting the tarrif.

again (as above) Im referring to a ref as

1 - jury (is the player guilty of anything)
2 - judge (what is the penalty)
3 - executioner (issuing oif any panlty/card etc)

should "previous" be taken into consideration for step 1 ?

(merely a moot point etc... )

- - - Updated - - -

WE also have several. However in most cases you would be having to guess surely.

Indeed and agreed. And of course - maybe not every single player on a "gay team" may be gay?

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
again (as above) Im referring to a ref as

1 - jury (is the player guilty of anything)
2 - judge (what is the penalty)
3 - executioner (issuing oif any panlty/card etc)

should "previous" be taken into consideration for step 1 ?

(merely a moot point etc... )

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed and agreed. And of course - maybe not every single player on a "gay team" may be gay?

didds

On the pitch every player starts with a clean sheet
By the second half many of them have some previous

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
On the pitch every player starts with a clean sheet

back in my playing days I had a team mate who was notorious for stamping on opponents in rucks.

I was running touch one game when he came on as a replacement. At next ruck there was a loud yell from a player who had been stomped. I knew who had done it but hadn't seen it in the mass of bodies. Whatchagonnado?

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
As an TJ - nothing
As a AR - make sure I spot the next one
As a club - make sure he knows that it is unacceptable, and if needed discipline him.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
As an TJ - nothing
As a club - make sure he knows that it is unacceptable, and if needed discipline him.

So how you going to ensure no2? It seems like saying you're definitely going to spot the next shooting star! Or you are definitely going to win the lottery.

If all you do is watch the man with the history, because you want to catch him what else do you miss?

Can you discipline a club member in that manner, on suspicion? I suppose you could decide not to select hm as he is a liability but is that the same?

I've seen it where the "nutter" has gone to another club and when he comes back to play against you it is not pretty for anyone.

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
So how you going to ensure no2? It seems like saying you're definitely going to spot the next shooting star! Or you are definitely going to win the lottery. If all you do is watch the man with the history, because you want to catch him what else do you miss?

Fair enough - although as a ref (I don't AR much) we look where we think offences will probably occur (e.g. I rarely watch the fall-back during a maul - I'm looking for offside, swimmers and collapsers). Knowing this player is notorious, and believing he has already offended within seconds of coming on... I am going to watch him a little closer than I might otherwise have done, not to the exclusion of everything else; but hopefully enough to catch/prevent another offence.

Can you discipline a club member in that manner, on suspicion?

No I wouldn't penalise based on suspicion - but Dickie said "[he] had a team mate who was notorious for stamping on opponents in rucks". As a club exec I wouldn't want that behaviour for the club, or the resulting impact on reputation. The player's notoriety is presumably based on previous incidents which were witnessed rather than then a groundswell of suspicion.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
back in my playing days I had a team mate who was notorious for stamping on opponents in rucks.

I was running touch one game when he came on as a replacement. At next ruck there was a loud yell from a player who had been stomped. I knew who had done it but hadn't seen it in the mass of bodies. Whatchagonnado?

THese days I'd hope he was told to mend his ways or leave.

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As an TJ - nothing

Good post. BUT "2" is impossible to do. Take exta care perhaps.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
A very confusing message:

BBC
The shortest ban under World Rugby rules for "grabbing, twisting or squeezing the genitals" is 12 weeks, though the commission reduced that by three weeks to take account of mitigating factors, including good character and remorse.

However, they also increased the ban by one week after taking into account Marler's recent disciplinary record.

Good character and remorse! Yet the recent disciplinary record may lead one to think otherwise!

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Don't even need a new thread here. Too many camera angles for this sort of thing these days, but officially he gets away with this one.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Someone will be along to defend him due to "personal issues". He needs to be sorted out officially before someone "sorts him out".