[Golden Oldies] Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I wonder if we could manage to get this discussion back on the topic of Nigel Owens and inclusive rugby?
:eek:fftopic: iF is very much not about inclusiveness. What is a boomerang in the context of that launch?

really? I think IF's case is exactly about inclusiveness : it goes right the heart of it. WR want (we all want) rugby to be a sport and an environment where everyone feels comfortable, whether they are gay/straight black/white christian/moslem/atheist etc..

IF was thrown out because ARU contend that his views would make rugby a hostile environment for gays
IF's supporters contend that throwing him out makes rugby a hostile environment for christians

It's all about inclusivenss, and bang on the topic NO was discussing in post #1 (I think)

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Nigel Owens slant on inclusiveness was very different. So yeah, honestly, if Nigel Owens made a passing reference to sad/bad individuals who make homophobic remarks, it was only to say with all the fuss, individuals (like IF ) may feel he has achieved something, (now that he gets his day in court and feels somehow vindicated). So yeah for me 900 posts about IF are way off topic; especially since it is so easy to start a new thread at any time. The thing is we are not speaking out about creating a safe environment in Rugby, we are just giving energy to that sad/bad individual. Far better if Rugby forgot his name, his existence. Nigel Owens also spoke briefly about his own brush with death.

The topic for my money was:

Union Cup
Bingham Cup
Emerald warriors RFC
IGRC

He also spoke of the offside laws in relation to the RWC. Contesting the ball in the air, neck rolls, etc... Players pushing the boundaries and referees reviewing their games to improve on past performance. Players simulating injury, or Captains demanding cards for the opposition. He went on to say he’d be more than happy to sit out the final, if Wales were to lift the Web Ellis trophy. He also said Celts were humble, Warren Gatland might have taken a leaf out of that book.
:wales:

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I saw NO speak not long ago (and met him afterwards "I'm a ref, too"!) he is a good speaker.
He spoke a lot about his struggles, and was very moving. He talked about inclusiveness, and a bit about Israel Folau and the impact he is having.

But whichever way you look at it, this thread should have been closed a while back. So agreed, next time there's more news on IF, Crusaders or other topics relating to inclusiveness in rugby, I'll start new thread.

Last edited:

L'irlandais

Post Likes
I think London Irish might be the next development on the scandal front. A few sponsors unhappy with a certain player’s private life/social media use.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Diageo already bailed, didn't they?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I wonder if we could manage to get this discussion back on the topic of Nigel Owens and inclusive rugby?
:eek:fftopic: iF is very much not about inclusiveness. What is a boomerang in the context of that launch?

So in one breath you want this thread to be exclusively about NO and in the next you're OK to raise London Irish issue? Or is it just IF that you don't want discussed?

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
So in one breath you want this thread to be exclusively about NO and in the next you're OK to raise London Irish issue? Or is it just IF that you don't want discussed?

I believe you've just described a confirmation of confirmation bias

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Diageo already bailed, didn't they?
Yes Guinness are already gone. But they were not the only ones. Cash Converters initially cited values, but later retracted and said they are simply not renewing their sponsorship. Paddy Jackson best not attract any negative publicity for a while, or public pressure may be brought to bear on remaining sponsors. Tough time for the club who have clearly splashed out on recruiting the new squad. And although Diageo didn’t mention Sėan O’ Brien’s recrutement it can’t have escaped their attention either.

Rumour has it Paddy Whiskey may be the next to drop their association with the club. While I cannot find confirmation of that, I can well believe Brexit tensions may pressure them to distance themselves from the player’s reputation. I am surprised London Irish don’t make him close his Twitter account for the duration of his contract.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
[ooops: Wrong forum]

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ian, have you posted this here by mistake?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ian, have you posted this here by mistake?

Yep. Sorry about that

It was supposed to be posted on another (skeptics) forum with near identical software and look, that I had open on another tab.

It was actually a repost from a third forum