NO on forward pasess

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The scenario is
Player (-10) + throw (+ 4) = ball (-6)

This breaks OB rule in #9 (because it +4 ) but it's not a forward pass .. because the result is still negative (-6)

Does that make sense

so the ball is thrown in the direction of the oppo DBL?

Cos if so then the initial speed of the ball is -10, and the post throw (5mph towards the oppo DBL) is thus -5mph... whiuch is an increase in speed

ie -5 is larger than -10.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Exactly , but the ball is still travelling toward own DBL

The scenario is
Red kick long over the heads of blue
Blue 11 running back looking over his shoulder catches the ball on the run .. and passes flattish to Blue 15 who is running up to attack

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Exactly , but the ball is still travelling toward own DBL

The scenario is
Red kick long over the heads of blue
Blue 11 running back looking over his shoulder catches the ball on the run .. and passes flattish to Blue 15 who is running up to attack

well - exceot it isn;t, relative to the passer. Its mobing towards the opppo DBL from the passer. its the reverse scenario we see in normal play whereby a bacjkwards pass continues to move relative to the ground towards the oppo DBL. But that ins;t a forward pass.

So this is the revese - its relative to the ground moving towards jis opwn DBL - but its a forwqard pass from his hands/body.

simples etc.

its in effect exactly point I make about that pass over his head scenrio. do it in reverse and you get a forward pass even though the overall vector is negative.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Exactly so
Per OB logic that is a forward pass
Even though the ball is travelling towards the passers own. DBL

Well I reject that, legalistic, view.
That's not a forward pass

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I refuse to take part in this silly argument.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This simple formula should make it easier to understand.

complex-math-formulas-on-whiteboard-mathematics-and-science-with-economics-concept-real-equation.jpg

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You forgot to carry the 2 :chin:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The takeaway is
The forward pass Law is - genuinely - complicated

All attempts to state it simply in one or two sentences, fail to cover every scenario. (including both NO's attempt, and OB's attempt )

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The takeaway is

You making it complicated doesn't mean it is.

If it goes forward, it is.
If it doesn't, its backwards.
The referees decision on this is final.

END

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Reluctantly I feel the need for one more go at this.
I'm still not seeing it?

run towards own DBL at 10 mph
pass towards own DBL at 5mph
ball is moving at -10-5=-15 mph

Thus ball moving towards own DBL.

??
Correct.

The scenario is
Player (-10) + throw (+ 4) = ball (-6)

This breaks OB rule in #9 (because it +4 ) but it's not a forward pass .. because the result is still negative (-6)

Does that make sense
No. If he passes to a player who is between him and his own DBL, then the backward speed is increased. It is therefore not a forward pass.

If he throws the ball over his shoulder (is that what your +4 implies?) he will decrease the backward speed which equates to an increase in forward speed.

Mathematically -6 is greater than -10. We are judging the pass relative to the passer, not in terms of absolute speed over the ground.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Exactly so
Per OB logic that is a forward pass
Even though the ball is travelling towards the passers own. DBL

Well I reject that, legalistic, view.
That's not a forward pass

The direction the ball travels is not relevant to the thrown forward law. As per the definitions in the LotG, the direction the arms move is the determining factor.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
The takeaway is

All attempts to state it simply in one or two sentences, fail to cover every scenario. (including both NO's attempt, and OB's attempt )

It is a forward pass if: the arms of the player passing the ball move forward.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The basic idea is very simple: the ball initially has the same forward speed as the ball carrier. In passing it he must not increase the forward speed of the ball.

true enough. The tricky bit is for the ref to be able to determine that with accuracy.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Which of course is completely different from the one sentence definitions offered by NO, OB and PE . Just going to show how difficult it is to sum up this Law in one or two sentences.

I think that any pass that travels backward over the ground .. ie toward the throwers own DBL cannot be a forward pass, irrespective of the direction the arms move , and irrespective of whether the thrower added or subtracted to the forward velocity of the ball.

Last edited:

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

It is a forward pass if: the arms of the player passing the ball move towards the opposition's dead-ball line.

Except: in a strong adverse wind, when the ball is blown backwards after leaving the hands?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Which of course is completely different from the one sentence definitions offered by NO, OB and PE . Just going to show how difficult it is to sum up this Law in one or two sentences.
I maintain that my definition is equivalent. The physics of the test is clear, which does not mean it is easy to judge. As the 1948 RFU decision said, that must be left to the referee.

I think that any pass that travels backward over the ground .. ie toward the throwers own DBL cannot be a forward pass, irrespective of the direction the arms move , and irrespective of whether the thrower added or subtracted to the forward velocity of the ball.
But that is insufficient. As the well-known Australian/WR video demonstrates, the ball can travel forward over the ground and not be a throw forward.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
It is a forward pass if: the arms of the player passing the ball move towards the opposition's dead-ball line.

Except: in a strong adverse wind, when the ball is blown backwards after leaving the hands?

The effect of the wind after the ball leaves the hands cannot determine if a pass was forward or not.
It can be difficult to judge, but that does not alter the physics.