[Law] Penalise teams late onto the field

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
what is ‘appropriately treated’? I turn up, someone might show me where the changing room is, but usually I find it myself. I get changed and go get warmed up. I can’t say I’m inappropriately treated as there is pretty much no interaction.
It varies widely here. Higher level teams tend to have a person whose job it is to look after the referee. One club I go to announces the name(s) of the official(s) over the tannoy and that even includes the assessor!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
To those that have given a penalty, under what law? (I’d consider a penalty but now don’t know whether I technically can).

9.7(d) [LAWS]Waste time. Sanction: Free-kick[/LAWS].

Escalate to PK if egregious.

Last edited:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
You could also use
9.27 [LAWS]A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship.[/LAWS]
or
9.28[LAWS]Respect the referee’s authority.[/LAWS]
I have definitely seen coaches/captains keep their team in the dressing rooms to let the opposition stand in poor weather conditions. (Cold/wet) This is done to gain an unfair advantage, and I don’t think you should wait 5 whole minutes to put a stop to their little game.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
9.7(d) [LAWS]Waste time. Sanction: Free-kick[/LAWS].

Escalate to PK if egregious.

In the Australian system time is being wasted , so might be a good shout. In England thee is still going to be 80:mins to play

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Can you use any of these laws before the game has started?

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
You are right in saying it’s not covered by the laws of the game. If it’s an RFU adult match, then why not?
Regulation 13.6.4 (d)
[LAWS]Any delay from the specified or agreed kick-off time may be reported by the non-offending Club or the Referee to the Committee of the Competition concerned and may lead to sanctions being imposed.[/LAWS]
So while they might avoid a penalty, they could subsequently be sanctioned for such gamesmanship. Not sure for Scotland, but they must have similar rules.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It is not wating playing time as the clock has not started.

"playing" time is not part of the law. There are only 2 words so quite easy : Waste. Time.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
All of our clubs are required to have a Referee Liaison Officer. In prctice many don't. A Parking spot should be provided. Why do clubs think it a good idea to put the ref's back up?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
"playing" time is not part of the law. There are only 2 words so quite easy : Waste. Time.

THe only time that can be wasted is playing time. If the game has not started neither has the clock! I accept in Oz when you are restricted for avaiable time for the game to be played, you have different concerns to most of us.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
THe only time that can be wasted is playing time. If the game has not started neither has the clock! I accept in Oz when you are restricted for avaiable time for the game to be played, you have different concerns to most of us.

If, during a game, you stop your watch because a player is wasting time and he still wastes time, he is subject to sanction.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
All of our clubs are required to have a Referee Liaison Officer. In prctice many don't. A Parking spot should be provided. Why do clubs think it a good idea to put the ref's back up?

Yup. If I'm not refereeing and helping the team I coach, I do the whole charm offensive with the referee, home or away. "Great to see you, looking forward to it. Anything we can do to help you?" and if I'm not there, I designate a charmer. It may not help in the grand scheme of things, but it costs nothing and you never know, that 50/50 call may just go your way.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yup. If I'm not refereeing and helping the team I coach, I do the whole charm offensive with the referee, home or away. "Great to see you, looking forward to it. Anything we can do to help you?" and if I'm not there, I designate a charmer. It may not help in the grand scheme of things, but it costs nothing and you never know, that 50/50 call may just go your way.

Indeed. And on that cold, wet Saturday when ref resources are short, maybe its your club that the refs are happy to make an effort to support.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

Yep, its only happened once to me - I walked to the centre (which I normally never do until both teams are out - in this case only Team A was) blew my whistle and made it clear that I was starting my watch. Team B trundled out, and both teams only got a 30 min first half (scheduled 35 min) and it went in my report. No idea of the outcome.

I saw a video of a lower level Aussie Rules game once where 1 team was on the field, so the umpire blew his whistle, bounced the ball and the team on the park proceeded to score a goal, and get the ball back to the centre in time for a second bounce and goal before the second team got out there

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

I saw a video of a lower level Aussie Rules game once where 1 team was on the field, so the umpire blew his whistle, bounced the ball and the team on the park proceeded to score a goal, and get the ball back to the centre in time for a second bounce and goal before the second team got out there

I fear this idea - while attractive - would also backfire on the ref

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If, during a game, you stop your watch because a player is wasting time and he still wastes time, he is subject to sanction.

Different context. The game is in play. You have dealt with the the offence and the player is now ignoring you authority during the game. Deal with the first issue , the one you stopped the watch for, Player does not respond so escalate.

Related example. Players fighting ("low leval" handbags) Blow the whistle. Players keep fighting. Escalate to a card.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Different context. The game is in play. You have dealt with the the offence and the player is now ignoring you authority during the game. Deal with the first issue , the one you stopped the watch for, Player does not respond so escalate.

Related example. Players fighting ("low leval" handbags) Blow the whistle. Players keep fighting. Escalate to a card.

Well, I'm hearing of lot of what you can't do and why you can't do it. Why don't you tell the OP (and the rest of us) what YOU would do?

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've penalised a team for being late on the field. At the PMB I told the captains that KO was 1430, they would get a 10, 5 and 2 minute warning. Black went into the sheds at around 5 minutes, then got a two minute warning, when I called the coach (who was in the sub area) who sent some one over and it still took around 5 minutes for them to come out, all while Red and I were waiting. Time on, PK Red for Poor Sportsmanship and time wasting. No issues from either coach nor my assessors and I'll do it again in the future if I need.

Respect is important in the game and if you turn up late you are disrespecting the other team.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

to some extent though, here in the UK in the middle of winter, its getting dark coming the end of the match. Due to injuries etc I've been in games that by the time fiull time has come around, the cars on the road adjacent have all been on full beam and the street lights fully on. A team taking twenty minutes to start the game is serriously jepardising the ability to complete a game in such scenarios.

didds

Last edited: