Quick Throws and Sin Bin Returns

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Funnily enough I had the opportunity to pose this question to Wayne Barnes last week.

just as Bryan did here, I asked him the simple scenario without revealing the relevance of the Skinner incident

first he said, well he wouldn't have to make the decision as
- he doesn't have to time the YC so wouldn't know he was due to return anyway
- at his level the fourth (fifth?? I can't recall) match official will decide who comes on the pitch

I said - OK fair enough but let's say you are reffing at my level and you're on your own.

- Barnesy said is the YC player there on the sideline ready to come on?
- I said yes
- he said 'I'd try and allow the QT and at the same time give the player the nod to come on'

I couldn't resist a little whoop of delight :)

I asked, but wouldn't you want to talk to the YC player?
He said, yes I may well, but that can wait.

:) crossref would need a heart of stone not to feel vindicated :)

but actually my impression is that MOST refs by far give the answer : stop the QT to allow the player on.

And what's really interesting is that three RWC refs have no been asked the same question and all three answers given. So it just goes to show what a good question it is.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You really are starting to sound like our member from the SW :wink:

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Well, this made it all the way to the designated Members via the folks at the RFU that raised the question.

Ruling 2 of 2012.

In short: The referee is entitled to allow the quick-throw. The sinbinned/subbed player returns at the next stoppage as decided by the referee.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
and so we have it - the system works ! Well it did until DB was made redundant by RFU :mad:

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The referee in such circumstances is entitled to allow a team to take a quick throw-in.
If the referee allows a quick throw-in, the player who has been temporarily suspended or replaced will be permitted to rejoin the match at the next stoppage in play as decided by the referee

it's not really much of an answer is it?
- the referee is entitled to allow
- If the referee allows

so the referee could allow the QT, or he might instead stop for the replacement.
why don't they tell us what he should, normally, do - what's best practice? allow the QT, or allow the player back?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
crossref - happy days, you use your judgement and you are always right.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
You're the ref - you decide - given the circumstances on the day.

they can't think for you, you gotta decide...

apologies to Bob.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
and so we have it - the system works ! Well it did until DB was made redundant by RFU :mad:

Didn't know about that, what a shame as he was a great worker for the RFU.

Regarding the law clarification though, doesn't the question refer to a Quick line out, which is very different to a quick throw in.

A quick line out being where the line has formed and has been taken quickly (and also means offside players need to get onside, quick!).

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Didn't know about that, what a shame as he was a great worker for the RFU.

Regarding the law clarification though, doesn't the question refer to a Quick line out, which is very different to a quick throw in.

A quick line out being where the line has formed and has been taken quickly (and also means offside players need to get onside, quick!).

whatever the question was, or was meant to be, the answer dealt with a "quick throw"

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Possibly because in Law there is no concept of a Quick Line-out.

A lineout is a structured and managed phase, like a scrum.

The RFU need a kick up the bum for using language outside the Laws.