[Law] Red card or not

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
The thing is. . the last few years WR have moved consistently away from common sense and instead into prescriptive , flow chart style decision making . In the interests of consistency.
I don't think refs are rewarded for ignoring protocol in the interest of common sense

My chats with several of our professional refs would suggest that there is much substance in what you say.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Stepping back from the specifics of this incident .. and looking more generally .. I think that WR are paying attention to the asymetrry we have in the Laws between ball carrier and tackler.
We have a lot of laws prohibiting actions of the tackler (can't be high, late, early , straight arm, swinging arm, can't tip) but much less attention on what the ball carrier can do.
Pinky has it in #51 above

Why do we allow a ball carrier to deliberately make contact with a tacklers head ? When it is prohibited the other way round

I suspect WR are pondering this, and have concerns

I suspect some of that may have leaked out into guidance to refs , to pay attention to safety of the tackler (after all it's tacklers who get concussed, isn't it )

Part of this concern has leaked into the new Law Book with its curious new act of foul play, the hand off with excessive force.

This isn't just a one off poor decision, it's indicative of a change starting to happen

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1

Had the catcher , ran at the would be tackler & fended off with his elbow .

On those terms only i agree with cross above statement .

But that wasnt the case here .
The ref didnt sanction correctly by the letter of the law .
He & his team made an absolute joke of a decision . .

Im sure the ref is the most gutted by his own stupidity & his team . For not having the will to put him right .
As im sure it will cost him a fixture​

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
"No tolerance" policies as applied here and in the US judicial system exclude common sense.

Excvept the common sense that says that breaking the law is a daft idea?

;-)

didds

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

But that wasnt the case here .
The ref didnt sanction correctly by the letter of the law .
He & his team made an absolute joke of a decision . .

Im sure the ref is the most gutted by his own stupidity & his team . For not having the will to put him right .
As im sure it will cost him a fixture​

This is harsh, unfair and if you are a referee you should know better. Whilst it may in hindsight be a mistake (and I am not stating it is) there is no way you should be calling the referee stupid or lacking will. It is not a joke of a decision, it is one that is open to differing opinions and interpretations, as we have seen on this thread. Even if everyone agreed it is wrong it is completely inappropriate to call a below referee stupid and lacking will. You are worse than dissenting players for doing this and would expect a referee to know better.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Excvept the common sense that says that breaking the law is a daft idea?

;-)

didds

My point was not that breaking the law be tolerated but mandated sanctions (and prison terms) are too inflexible to accommodate the variability in the nature of the offence.