Referee in a niqab?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
As the French debate whether or not to ban the Burqa, I thought it might be instructive (or do I mean incendiary?) to discuss on here whether we'd be concerned if an Islamic referee (female) turned up to referee a match with an Arabic face covering.

Some definitions:
Jilbab = the floor-length loose body covering worn by many Islamic women in public
Hijab = the head scarf worn by a great many Islamic women in public
Niqab = the face veil, attaching to the side of the head scarf, of dark material obscuring the entire face except the eyes. It is not the same as a purdah, which is a less robust face veil of translucent material.
Burqa/Burkha = the combination of at least the jilbab and hijab, but sometimes used to denote the addition of a niqab. For the purposes of this discussion, let's work to a defeinition whereby a burqa does not include the niqab.

So our hypothetica referee, for religious, security or other reasons wears a niqab attached (for practical reasons) to some form of head covering, and referees the match in that manner. After the game, she appears in the social area of the club wearing a burqa and niqab.

The matter is discusssed in Committee after a complaint from the club. What should the Committee decide?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
ignoring the fact that it's hugely unlikely to happen, what would the complaint be? as long as the whistle can be heard, verbal instructions are clear, and the item doesn't cause any danger to the players, i'm not sure if there would be grounds for complaint.

in the clubhouse after the game i'm sure there would be some who would be concerned about what she was concealing underneath the covering. personally, although i'd think it a little odd that someone with such strong beliefs would openly walk into an environment that serves alcohol, the chances of my rugby club being subject to jihad are so small that it wouldn't be worth considering.

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
For practical purposes, she would be unable to get around the pitch. That being said, participation in a Rugby match as a player, referee, fan, coach, etc is a privelege. To gain that privelege you must follow the expectations. In this case, you dress like a referee. If you are getting on an airplane, you submit to certain inspections of your baggage and person. Very simple to me.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Assuming this is a community level game, with an amateur referee then we don't get involved in Employment law.

Rugby Union is promoted as a team sport, and one which is inclusive.

The Laws of the game regulate clothing worn by the Players.

Assumption 1 - The referee is not a Player, therefore Law 4 won't apply.

Whilst many feel that referees should maintain decent standards of dress this can also be seen as a cultural construct, and demanding that members of one culture conform to the demands of another, and especially a numerically domininant, culture is not a trait encouraging "inclusivity".

Carry on.

And having a precedent like this surely means that others can do the same, so if its cold and wet the ref can wear a burkha made of warm waterproof material.

But, NOT, clearly, neoprene under shorts.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
You have got to be kidding me? Someone complained? In an era where we struggle to get enough referees, and certainly enough female referees?

If the complaint was about the ability to get about the park, then I can see validity to that issue.
However, if it was about the use of the niqag itself, then I just don't see it.

"To gain that privelege you must follow the expectations. In this case, you dress like a referee." - she was, as I understand the description, wearing a face veil. How is that NOT dressing like a referee? I've seen B panel referees in woolly hats and hats because it's cold. If no-one complains about that, then complaining about a niqab and a burqa after the game smacks very much of only one thing.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Are cross-dressers allowed to referee? They're allowed to go thro' airports in their jillybabs! :sad: . . . until they introduce those XRay scanners.

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes

"To gain that privelege you must follow the expectations. In this case, you dress like a referee." - she was, as I understand the description, wearing a face veil. How is that NOT dressing like a referee? I've seen B panel referees in woolly hats and hats because it's cold. If no-one complains about that, then complaining about a niqab and a burqa after the game smacks very much of only one thing.

I took it to mean she had the whole Burka on as well.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Are cross-dressers allowed to referee? They're allowed to go thro' airports in their jillybabs! :sad: . . . until they introduce those XRay scanners.

Thank your Rontgens that they're not Xray scanners!

They should be using the terahertz range for airport beasts:Zip:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

there is no difference in the (visible) kit male and female referees wear, so I see no issue

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
This is typical, all discussing it, and not including someone who wears it in the discussion, therefore we are guessing.

Its simples to me, this is the uniform we wear, you wanna play, you wear our uniform.

Headdress for cultural reasons, no problems, different uniform, major problem in my view ;)

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
there is no difference in the (visible) kit male and female referees wear, so I see no issue

I've always thought that female refs should wear skirts.:love:

PS I suppose Celtic refs would then spoil it by wearing kilts?

Bronze Whaler

Referees in England
Post Likes
It seems good enough for your avatar, Chopper. But then Kernow is Celtic isn't it? I don't ref in a kilt, I have SOME consideration for players on the ground.:eek:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
http://m.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28106900

"The Strasbourg judges' decision is final - there is no appeal against it.

A court statement said the ruling also "took into account the state's submission that the face played a significant role in social interaction"

My bold.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Browner;277156 [B said:
the face played a significant role in social interaction"

No more masquerade balls or mardi gras. So sad.

French-Masquerade-Mask-French-Masquerade-Shawl-Collection-Kashmir-Company-1024x640.jpg