shot clock this weeekend

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I am working Saturday at Tigers v Northampton, so will be interesting to see if it's used and how. I know the timekeepers there (they are in the adjoining room to where I sit) so will have a chat pre-match.
keep us posted Phil ... tx

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
... so why doesnt the time keeper already run a stopwatch on kicks as they are and just advise the ref via comms "30 seocxnds to go... 15 seconds to go... 5.... TIME OUT"
they want to avoid the ref suddenly peeping half a second before the player kicks it - which would be a bit rubbish (as indeed we have seen !)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
they want to avoid the ref suddenly peeping half a second before the player kicks it - which would be a bit rubbish (as indeed we have seen !)
so how will the stop clock make any difference?

clock goes beep, half a second later boot hits ball.

Now do we get 5 minutes of TMO reviewing the clock reaching zero and whether ball has fractionally moved?

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Now do we get 5 minutes of TMO reviewing the clock reaching zero and whether ball has fractionally moved?
Will probably be enforced as strictly as feet outside the playing area for lineout throws or putting the ball into the scrum straight with a "Meh, close enough..."

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Because the kicker can see the clock, he will always kick in time

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Because the kicker can see the clock, he will always kick in time
what if they are kicking from the stand side and the clock is on the stand behind them?
The kicker is concentrating ion the kick. Not on some clock which may be out of even peripheral vision.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
what if they are kicking from the stand side and the clock is on the stand behind them?
The kicker is concentrating ion the kick. Not on some clock which may be out of even peripheral vision.
i just don't think any kicker will miss a stadium clock

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
They use this in the Top 14 don't they? What has been their experience with it?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I imagine some stadiums like to run ads or promos during downtime. I wonder if the shot clock will always be visible in such cases.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I imagine some stadiums like to run ads or promos during downtime. I wonder if the shot clock will always be visible in such cases.
“Fans in the ground will be able to see the shot clock operating at the end of the electronic advertising hoardings, with some grounds also featuring it on their big screens as well".

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The shot clock is to be managed by the timekeeper, so does he start it automatically when the try is signalled by the ref? Or does the ref tell him when to start it? What's the exact moment to start it when kicking a PK for goal, is it when the ref signals towards the posts?

I am working Saturday at Tigers v Northampton, so will be interesting to see if it's used and how. I know the timekeepers there (they are in the adjoining room to where I sit) so will have a chat pre-match.

At the Tigers game the shot clock was visible at each end of the pitch side advertising boards and also in the top corner of the two big screens. It was only visible when started by the timekeeper.

In that game the timekeeper started the shot clock when the referee whistled to indicate a try, or when he pointed to the posts and said shot called. Lowest time I saw was around 15 seconds, so never really close to running out, although I did overhear players on the referees mic telling their kicker to get a move on and reminding him the clock had started. The referee also pointed out the clock to the kickers.

Anecdotally I heard that in the Sale v Bath game it was decided (not sure by whom) that the referee would call to the timekeeper to start the shot clock (like he calls time on/off). However the referee in that instance refused to do so (I'm told). Not sure how true that is, but the story came from the PRL people so may be true. The way it was handled at the Tigers game seems infinitely better, so maybe they changed the way it worked from Friday to Saturday?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I heard that in the Sale v Bath game it was decided (not sure by whom) that the referee would call to the timekeeper to start the shot clock (like he calls time on/off). However the referee in that instance refused to do so (I'm told).
The people have spoken.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
@Phil E did they ever pause the shot clock (eg for TMO review) and if they did pause it, do they continue where they were, or reset back to 60? Or something else

Continuing seems sensible, but would be a bit rough if (say) clock was paused just as kicker started run up with 3s to go

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
@Phil E did they ever pause the shot clock (eg for TMO review) and if they did pause it, do they continue where they were, or reset back to 60? Or something else

Continuing seems sensible, but would be a bit rough if (say) clock was paused just as kicker started run up with 3s to go

The situation never occurred, but it is possible to pause it.
I suspect a TMO review would reset the clock, but will see when it happens.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Danny Care reporting that at LI they got a full screenful of shot clock and therefore no replays of the tries

Well, I'd rather see the replay !

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Danny Care reporting that at LI they got a full screenful of shot clock and therefore no replays of the tries

Well, I'd rather see the replay !

At Tigers it's just in the top left corner, so doesn't interrupt the replays.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
When do you start the shot clock when the ball squirts out after a try, rolls down a banking and someone has to get it in community game?
I know the answer, manage it.
It would be interesting to see what happens at top level if try scoring team throw ball up or kick it into crowd as has been done over the years or conversely the defending team hide/kick the ball away.