Silly or Flexible Laws That You Bend or Outright Ignore

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
So what are some "silly", "interpretable", or "flexible" laws that you in the past or typically don't exactly enforce or bend? (I assume the answers will be circumstantial.)

I was going to go first, but I realized the law I was flexible on I misinterpreted anyway, and the action occurred in clean context. Essentially, this can be a question I propose: How strictly do you normally watch the time after a player scores a try to ensure no more than 1 minute passes from the moment they intend to attempt to convert the kick (strictly speaking in a non-7s match)?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I will let a player play in leggings unless the opposition complain.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Wrong type of kick or quick tap not leaving hands.

I will generally just tell them to take it again and do it properly, and give the opposition the same one chance.

If I have to tell them again, I suddenly remember that it's a turnover offence and ping it. (Though I get stricter as the league starts).

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
We had an interesting discussion at our society meeting lasy night about one (from memory it is Law 15.7) - no one may prevent a tackled player passing or playing the ball. This is contradictory to a pack of Laws, especially 15.4 (c) and 15.6(b) so is ignored by everyone.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not straight throw, but only if the non-throwing team don't compete.

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
(b) Repeated infringements by the team. When different players of the same team repeatedly commit the same offence, the referee must decide whether or not this amounts to repeated infringement. If it does, the referee gives a general warning to the team and if they then repeat the offence, the referee cautions and temporarily suspends the guilty player(s). If a player of that same team then repeats the offence the referee sends off the guilty player(s).

You almost always see a second yellow - I have never seen repeat team offences escalate to a red, but that is what the good book says.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
We had an interesting discussion at our society meeting lasy night about one (from memory it is Law 15.7) - no one may prevent a tackled player passing or playing the ball. This is contradictory to a pack of Laws, especially 15.4 (c) and 15.6(b) so is ignored by everyone.

I wouldn't ignore it, its a pingable offence and I have seen it used.

Firstly, you can apply it to a player (not the tackler, who would be pinged for not rolling away anyway) who is on the ground. He is not allowed to pin the tackled player's arms to prevent him from exercising his options.

Secondly, even a player on his feet who is, for example, not within reach of the ball, cannot play the tackled player and in so doing prevent that player from exercising this options. He can play the ball, but not the man!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Essentially, this can be a question I propose: How strictly do you normally watch the time after a player scores a try to ensure no more than 1 minute passes from the moment they intend to attempt to convert the kick (strictly speaking in a non-7s match)?

you can relax on this one, as the minute doesn't start until the tee arrives.
(if it takes an inordinate time for the tee to arrive you can stop the watch)

[LAWS]
9.B.1 TAKING A CONVERSION KICK
(a) The kicker must use the ball that was in play unless it is defective.
(b) The kick is taken on a line through the place where the try was scored.
(c) A placer is a team-mate who holds the ball for the kicker to kick.
(d) The kicker may place the ball directly on the ground or on sand, sawdust or a kicking tee approved by the Union.
(e) The kicker must take the kick within one minute from the time the kicker has indicated an intention to kick. The intention to kick is signalled by the arrival of the kicking tee or sand, or the player makes a mark on the ground. The player must complete the kick within the minute even if the ball rolls over and has to be placed again.
Sanction: The kick is disallowed if the kicker does not take the kick within the time allowed.[/LAWS]

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I wouldn't ignore it, its a pingable offence and I have seen it used.

Firstly, you can apply it to a player (not the tackler, who would be pinged for not rolling away anyway) who is on the ground. He is not allowed to pin the tackled player's arms to prevent him from exercising his options.

Secondly, even a player on his feet who is, for example, not within reach of the ball, cannot play the tackled player and in so doing prevent that player from exercising this options. He can play the ball, but not the man!

Agree, but both of these are usually pinged under other laws - principally not rolling away

It is the wording of 15.7 that is stupid, ie "No player may". That isn't right - some players may, and are explicitly given permission under other laws.

If the wording said "No player may prevent ... by holding or blocking the players body or arms" that would be fine

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
(e) The kicker must take the kick within one minute from the time the kicker has indicated an intention to kick. The intention to kick is signalled by the arrival of the kicking tee or sand, or the player makes a mark on the ground. The player must complete the kick within the minute even if the ball rolls over and has to be placed again.
Sanction: The kick is disallowed if the kicker does not take the kick within the time allowed.[/LAWS]

In my opinion the "intention to kick" should start when the kicker or captain says "posts sir" or the equivalent. In the benighted colonies where we are not allowed to stop our watches it is a great waster of time

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Agree, but both of these are usually pinged under other laws - principally not rolling away

It is the wording of 15.7 that is stupid, ie "No player may". That isn't right - some players may, and are explicitly given permission under other laws.

If the wording said "No player may prevent ... by holding or blocking the players body or arms" that would be fine

Yes, I agree. Its a poorly worded Law, (Really? In the iRB Law book?. Never!)

Its also somewhat superfluous, but have a good look through the Law book and you'll see some of the same things repeated in different areas.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In my opinion the "intention to kick" should start when the kicker or captain says "posts sir" or the equivalent. In the benighted colonies where we are not allowed to stop our watches it is a great waster of time

I agree, but there you go.

If the tee is taking an inordinate time, and you are not allowed to stop your watch, what do you?
Conversions
- make them take a DK?
- tell them they are out of time and can't take it
PK
- make them take a DK?
- let them take a different type of kick (eg for touch)
- reverse the PK into a FK for time wasting?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So what are some "silly", "interpretable", or "flexible" laws that you in the past or typically don't exactly enforce or bend? (I assume the answers will be circumstantial)

well, I certainly can't be arsed to make the SH throw the ball in straight :wink:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Throwing the ball forward in order to effect a punt is not sanctioned (unless the player is tackled after he has released the ball but before he can get his foot to it).

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
i have rarely given a FK at a ruck despite the 4 laws requiring me to do so.
i asked a certain elite but not elite appointed at the moment this q. and he said " a lot of law 15 and oh that not straight thingy :):smile: "

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I agree, but there you go.

If the tee is taking an inordinate time.....

....tell them to build a mound. :pepper:

If they can't, or have no idea what you are talking about , show them how. :=

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
If I get an "enthusiastic" fly half offering advice to me on how to referee the ruck and breakdown I might ignore him (at least until the opposition is in a position where a penalty may be kickable).