Simon, row your boat alone....

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Dickie, if you would let the woman play in a men's game could you then stop a man playing in a women's game( as that would be sexist too)?

I think I'd get back in my car and go to the pub :norc:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I’ve scanned the obvious regulations and can’t actually find anything (RFU) that prohibits mixed sex teams, other than reg 15, but that is specifically up to and including U18, so arguably once beyond that you can (or I can’t find the bit that says you can’t.

Related, in GMS (RFU Game Management System, player registration etc), each Club team has a gender set, so Male, Female, Mixed etc so clearly there is an expectation that a team complies to that - although don’t think it would actually stop you registering. A male player in a female team, and vice versa.

The below article does exist on the world Rugby site, so a clear guidelines, and reasons why, but not a categoric no. Suspect World Rugby guidelines would be enough reason to say no?

http://playerwelfare.worldrugby.org/?documentid=117

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I would be pretty amazed that if a bloke turned up to play in a women's fixture there would not be a universal "NO" from the opposition.

didds

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would be pretty amazed that if a bloke turned up to play in a women's fixture there would not be a universal "NO" from the opposition.

didds

What if that 'man' identified themselves as a woman? Surely the only thing that could happen, is they are allowed to play?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sport is different from social interactions though, doesn't it ? Women sport has specific tests , it's not enough to merely identify.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
What if that 'man' identified themselves as a woman? Surely the only thing that could happen, is they are allowed to play?

Can you stop making up "it's political correctness gone mad" scenarios, please? There are systems available to allow transgender players to play where appropriate. The RFU have a policy, for example, and the site says "The safety and equitable treatment of all taking part are the most important factors that need to be taken into account."

If you're actually interested
http://www.englandrugby.com/about-the-rfu/rfu-inclusion-programmes/gender/

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Unless the regulations specifically allowed women and men to play in the same team (see touch rugby regs for example) There is no way I'm allowing a female to play in a men's game or a man to play in a woman's game. There is a clear development path for the men's game and a clearly separate one for the women's game. It is about Safety NOT the possibility of sexual contact.

So let the parent or player threaten legal action It's simply not happening if I am referee.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I’ve scanned the obvious regulations and can’t actually find anything (RFU) that prohibits mixed sex teams, other than reg 15, but that is specifically up to and including U18, so arguably once beyond that you can (or I can’t find the bit that says you can’t.

Related, in GMS (RFU Game Management System, player registration etc), each Club team has a gender set, so Male, Female, Mixed etc so clearly there is an expectation that a team complies to that - although don’t think it would actually stop you registering. A male player in a female team, and vice versa.

The below article does exist on the world Rugby site, so a clear guidelines, and reasons why, but not a categoric no. Suspect World Rugby guidelines would be enough reason to say no?

http://playerwelfare.worldrugby.org/?documentid=117

This bit is pretty clear:

"A player should not participate in Mixed Gender teams once they have reached the age of 15." for me that is a clear NO from World rugby

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Based solely on ethical considerations you'd have to let her play because to do otherwise is clearly sexist. I wouldn't stop a left handed person from playing, so why would I stop a woman?
Olympic athletics makes it clear that if women competed with men, there would be no women winners. They even have different implements in the throwing events.

As for left hand vs right hand, in the early Olympics they had two-handed throwing events - 3 throws with the right hand and three with the left.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Olympic athletics makes it clear that if women competed with men, there would be no women winners.

Women certainly have an edge in uneven bars and beam. Diving, equestrian, marksmanship, archery, curling, figure skating could also favor women. But those are not real athletic events.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Can you stop making up "it's political correctness gone mad" scenarios, please? There are systems available to allow transgender players to play where appropriate. The RFU have a policy, for example, and the site says "The safety and equitable treatment of all taking part are the most important factors that need to be taken into account."

If you're actually interested
http://www.englandrugby.com/about-the-rfu/rfu-inclusion-programmes/gender/

Just playing devils advocate :)

as it happens you can't choose your gender, that is science, either male or female, choice does not come into it.

You can choose how you dress, what your sexual preference is, but despite the stupid left do gooders, you cannot choose your gender. Unless of course you want to rip up a load of science.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
as it happens you can't choose your gender, that is science, either male or female, choice does not come into it.
I think the challenge is that much of the difference between men and women is not driven by the acknowledged biological differences, but by cultural attitudes. There is certainly some truth in this and it is not exactly easy to tackle the question scientifically/objectively.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think the challenge is that much of the difference between men and women is not driven by the acknowledged biological differences, but by cultural attitudes. There is certainly some truth in this and it is not exactly easy to tackle the question scientifically/objectively.

Sex isn’t defined by anything other than science.

How we treat people what we expect, how we dress etc etc. That is all down to culture. That can be changed and viewed however. It is something I don’t really care about.

Male and female is biology, simples. That cannot be chosen. Nor should we waste public money on changing people’s body because they want to. I won’t go off on my NHS rant being now free at the point of want not need.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
1, It's nothing to do with the Left. There are transgender in all areas of society. - Convenient stereotyping of those you disagree with. A classic example of a weak argument.

2, Thankfully society is a little open minded than some posters on here.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
1, It's nothing to do with the Left. There are transgender in all areas of society. - Convenient stereotyping of those you disagree with. A classic example of a weak argument.

2, Thankfully society is a little open minded than some posters on here.

There is nothing close minded about my posts. Prove my scientific points incorrect if you will?

Its everything to do with the left, I don't suppose most far right folk support transgender anything?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Biology is not constrained by the physical equipment that you are using to define gender. Sexual orientation occurs in the brain and is very much a biological fact that is built in and not selected.