So, who thinks they a reffing this weekend?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
looks just like my road was. i don't see the problem.

whining teachers again.

:) :p :wink:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
She has to live at home with us near Alton, as she was running up debt living in (Hove) Brighton on a teacher's pittance of a salary.

sorry, i need to call shenanigans on this...

i moved out of home when i was 19 (10 years ago). my salary was 12K, so i was taking home about 800/month. out of that, from memory, came...

travel - 200 on train fare, plus about 75 on car parking at the station
rent (room in someone's house, including bills) - 250

add to that the standard suit dry cleaning, car maintenance etc. i reckon i had a maximum of 200/month to actually spend on myself. on things like food - pasta and dolmio mainly. yum yum.

i'm not suggesting for a moment that it was particularly fun living like the above (some might say like a student), but it was what had to be done.

so, i guess my question is whether it's not possible to live there on a teacher's salary, or whether it just doesn't give the lifestyle that they are used to (maybe even feel they are entitled to)?

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
sorry, i need to call shenanigans on this...

i moved out of home when i was 19 (10 years ago). my salary was 12K, so i was taking home about 800/month. out of that, from memory, came...

travel - 200 on train fare, plus about 75 on car parking at the station
rent (including bills) - 250

add to that the standard suit dry cleaning, car maintenance etc. i reckon i had about 200/month to actually spend on myself. like food - pasta and dolmio mainly.

i'm not suggesting for a moment that it was particularly fun living like the above (some might say like a student), but it was what had to be done.

so, i guess my question is whether it's not possible to live there on a teacher's salary, or whether it just doesn't give the lifestyle that they are used to (maybe even feel they are entitled to)?

Add tuition fee loans, maintenance loans, and other normal loans from your stay at university, with it being very hard to secure mortgages at the moment due to recession.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
mortgage isn't essential to live... it's nice to own your own home, but not essential.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Getting back to the subject :biggrin:

Never even had the courtesy of a phone call - either mid-week or this morning to say it was cancelled:mad: - Ladies team of a National League team too!

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
I'm always amazed at how many people can't get to work/kids to school etc, but can drive temselves and their kids to the top of a large hill to go sledging.

But then I also remember the village school where when the storm of 1987 came, some of the kids said they couldn't get to school - the 5min walk was "too dangerous".

jeff

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Beckett50,
send you a txt earlier today to confirm the game was off:) .
The ladies told me they couldnt get hold of you on your number. so left it to me. check your txts lol.

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
Greg - please can you send an email to me with your address and contact number. My daughter would be very pleased if the worst ever came to worst. She is well house-trained.
She teaches at Forest School.

BTW Alton train doesn't stop at Clapham Junction these days !

Done - you've got a pm. (and tell her not to be shy, we don't bite)

Alton CJ, yes I see at peak times they don't. So; Alton - Waterloo, bounce back to Clapham on any one of a gazillion trains from the 'loo to CJ and you're on platform 13 and in the 'sham within the hour (on a Bognor/Portsmouth/Southampton Arun Valley semi fast service)

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
if they close a factory or similar in UK due to inclement weather, do the troops get paid?

Mid 30s here today - went swimming and got a touch of sunburn. Getting into the 40s tomorrow - very unpleasant

Just to make you poor freezing pods over there feel better...here is forecast for 40 today..37 yesterday and my cooling decides to breakd-down. It will be 2 days to get part and fix. kids at home on school hols. Looks like sleepless nights and irritable wife and kids to contend with. Glad to be in the air-conditioned office.

Heat has put a stop to my pre-season fitness campaign. Just have to stand still to sweat like a b@stard!

P.s my wife near 40 and decided to change jobs...decides to go to uni and become teacher. Oz teachers also paid pittance too (and all this after 4 years training!!!). There goes early retirement. At least they don't recommend you don't live near your school...that's a shocker that teacher have to move away to avoid copping retribution from muppet kids.

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
At least they don't recommend you don't live near your school...that's a shocker that teacher have to move away to avoid copping retribution from muppet kids.

and their muppet parents. Yes really.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
*sigh* - If I had come home and told my dad the teacher had given me a clip round the ear, he would have done so as well. These days... */sigh*

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
yep, and i'd suggest that half the time the parents are worse the kids. at least the kids have the advantage of being young and therefore not able to know much better...

Simonsky

Referees in England
Post Likes
phew, talk about thread hijacking!-educational philosophy, over-regulation, teachers salaries. Hopefully the snow will be a bit of a reminder that we live in communities and that helping each other out may be a bit more educational that what the National Curriculum sometimes offers!

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
Simonsky, ain't it amazing what refs talk about then they are able to ref!

GeorgeR

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I've just had my midweek game cancelled for Thursday already...trying desperately to stop piling on the weight and fitting in some exercise - so far had 3 matches binned with little prospect this weekend, though the forecast is for the temperatures to go up to 6 degrees on Friday - so flooding over the weekend will put paid to those!!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
so what happens with all the cancelled games for competitions over there? Are they non-events or seeing how there has been so many weeks/games lost are they re-scheduled and the comps now extended? or those teams just split the points. (Not an issue - just wondering what happens with so much lost rugby?)

sorry - another hijack to do with weather...
Even though us oz refs are not on the field either the heat (near 40degrees) has the blue-suited refs out now.

ie
excess heat = excess alcohol consumption
excess alcohol = excess violent behaviour
excess violence = dometic disputes

case in point. DV near my house last night. baseball bats and the works. 1am. cand these were 16yo kids! cue the cops. (ps still 32 degrees and my cooling on the fritz as per my note above..darn it!!!).. commotion sets off barking dogs till 3am...more angry yelling neighbours with choice advice for those dogs. ahhh summer in Australia!

my prediction came true - household full of irritated/tired family members.

I suspect many of you going spare couped up at home trying to get to ref a game to let off some excess energy.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
First pre-season training last night.

Beach training. Soft sand running etc, 32 degrees at 7.30pm.

Thank goodness I'm a coach not a player - I could choose when to join in (which wasn't often)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
so what happens with all the cancelled games for competitions over there? Are they non-events or seeing how there has been so many weeks/games lost are they re-scheduled and the comps now extended? or those teams just split the points. (Not an issue - just wondering what happens with so much lost rugby?)

The RFU publishes a Structured Season (attached here) which has every levels League & Cup weekends set in advance. The top levels are already looking at mid-week floodlight matches, as they have few free weekends.

For level 5 and below, when we have cancelled matches (for weather - waterlooged, snow & ice, flu pandemic, etc) the clubs know that it must then be played on next available weekend - so for Dec 19th canx it was Jan 2nd (most cancelled again), so now Feb 6th, and for Jan 9th cancellations now re-scheduled for Feb 27th.
If we lose next weekend too then next free weekend is April 3rd !!

The four National Divisional Comps Committees re-set the fixtures which aare sent to Clubs and Societies, published on www.rfu.com fixture lists and on each Comp Committees own web sites.

Another complication is that Feb 6th & 27th are the two England home 6 Nations matches with some players and referees with tickets - so we may struggle to get teams and refs out at the lower levels !

We are getting to the stage where some County Cup Comps may be delayed to late April or even cancelled totally.

There is also a Youth Structured Season which is designed to prevent over-playing of young players and leaves weekends free for the County, Divisional and National representative training/selection/trials events.

Last edited: