So, who thinks they a reffing this weekend?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Jenko - Overton 2 showing as off on web site which means Dave must have heard from them ? have you ? check with Dave perhaps

Ballsie - anything is possible in Leigh Park and perfect place for Bin Liner to hide, no one ever gets found there. :D

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
my Sunday junior game has been changed to a beach rugby game, guess I will wrap up warm ;)

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Stay warm over there you poor sods...we have forecasts of 36 - 40 degrees for next 4 days here in aust (ACT)...minimal sport hear too!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Stay warm over there you poor sods...we have forecasts of 36 - 40 degrees for next 4 days here in aust (ACT)...minimal sport hear too!
Could you lend us a few?

Simonsky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Cut off in the Cotswolds at present-some great sledding and snowfights with all the locals and kids off school/work-great fun-pity to miss another game though, I've had so many game cancelled and not being available all weekends I'm beginning to doubt my 'probationary year' will count as one!

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
About -16C in Glasgow yesterday...freezing! Not much better back in Manchester. :(

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
if they close a factory or similar in UK due to inclement weather, do the troops get paid?

Mid 30s here today - went swimming and got a touch of sunburn. Getting into the 40s tomorrow - very unpleasant

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
if they close a factory or similar in UK due to inclement weather, do the troops get paid?
The bigger question is: now that Labour has bankrupted the country for the second time in my lifetime,
can we afford to HAVE troops?

On a slight tangent, in this unpleasant and over-regulated England in which many of us reside, the failure to ensure a child’s regular attendance at school is a criminal offence which carries a maximum penalty of a fine of £1,000 per parent per child, or in more serious cases a fine of up to £2,500 per parent per child and/or up to 3 months imprisonment. Rational arguments such as: "he'd be far better off educationally exploring Machu Pichu than attending the last week at school, watching Transformers DVDs in physics" do not cut much ice.

When they close a school for an entire week rather than risk teachers having to drive on 2 cm of snow for a few hindred yards until they hit a major road, or worse still having to take public transport, where is the clamour for these people to be prosecuted and transported to Siberia?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Good old Dixie, as reliable as ever.

Slightly to the right of Atilla The Hun! :biggrin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
When they close a school for an entire week rather than risk teachers having to drive on 2 cm of snow for a few hindred yards until they hit a major road, or worse still having to take public transport, where is the clamour for these people to be prosecuted and transported to Siberia?

As the father of one of those teachers, let me tell you her experiences :

A Marine Biology graduate, she teaches Science to GCSE level at a boys comprehensive school in Horsham. She has to live at home with us near Alton, as she was running up debt living in (Hove) Brighton on a teacher's pittance of a salary. Normally this is a one hour commute and she leaves at 06:30 and gets back most days at 7:30 / 8:00 pm after a post school meeting.
She then works at home for an hour or two doing paperwork, marking, prep work most evenings.

First icy Monday before Xmas she hit black ice and mounted a verge, over a hedge, and rolled down a field - car a write-off (doing no more than 30 mph). Three further cars had accidents at this spot, police said no one could do anything about it, council had not gritted. As of yesterday she still has not had the offer of replacment value from the insurance company (which she has to have in writing by post it appears not via fax or email !), and so has had three weeks of hiring a car at £120 pre week. Fourth one just about to start - £480 a month is a figure she cannot afford to sustain.

Last Tuesday she was stranded in Petersfield (all over news with A3 at standstill, etc) mostly caused by idiots unable to drive up slight hills and then blocking the road. She made it home mid-day Wednesday after an overnight at a relative (after a 3 mile walk at 9pm in the dark and snow).

Her school has been closed mainly due to the kids not getting in (school buses stopped running & lack of local gritting in Horsham) and she has spent 3 hours each way getting there to give tuition to those that are in, especially GCSE year, on days it was open.

She (and colleagues too) has also set up online lessons via the school web site for their classes.

We have 18" of snow here (not 2cm) and thick ice as well on our side roads and only A31 is clear.

As for public transport, we explored that option - trains Alton to Aldershot, Aldershot to Guildford, Guildford to Redhill, Redhill to Horsham - 2.5 hours and £ 32 per day. Or train Alton to Waterloo, walk to Blackfriars, Blackfriars to Gatwick and bus - same time and £51 per day.

Teachers (in the state sector) are recommended to NOT live close to their schools or even in the same town (history of attacks, cars damaged / torched, abuse if seen out in town in evening, etc).

One thing I do agree with you Dixie is the bigger question : now that Labour has bankrupted the country for the second time in my lifetime, can we afford to HAVE troops ? Another one is "unpleasant and over-regulated England in which many of us reside" but I would regulate even more and apply much greater punative action - especially for t*sers in BMWs and Audis who can't drive in the snow & ice, local and national governments that don't deliver on paid-for services, people who can't be bothered, etc !

Whether right or left wing - a benevolent dictatorship sure keeps things running !

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
a benevolent dictatorship sure keeps things running

Ah - now that may present a difficulty.

18th Century exoecience in Europe reveals that enlightened behaviour by an absolute despot is fine for a while, but then, slowly, the old adage about power and corruption becomes evident...

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
ST - thanks for that. Saved me venting my spleen on the subject. The lovely Helen is a teacher in Crawley and we live in Horsham. She's also governor of a school in Crawley and one of their staff totalled their car and put themselves in hospital, at no little cost to the public purse, trying to get to work. If the old bill in Sussex go on the radio and say only travel by car if your work is absolutely essential then you are well advised to listen ime.

btw #1, if daughter ever gets caught out by weather here and needs a bed in the 'Sham, we have two spare rooms in easy walking distance of her school... Heck we might even take a lodger!

btw #2 ignore national rail journey planner's bollix. Alton - Clapham Junction then Clapham Junction - Horsham is the way to do it BUT I used trains to work instead of car last week Horsham - Three Bridges Three Bridges - Haywards Heath and the 50 minute door-to-door journey was taking in excess of two hours. We were closing the office at 16:00 to get people of the premises and well on their way home in daylight.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Simon - by the way, interested to hear your daughter is a marine biologist - mine is currently in her first year at Southampton Uni, NOC doing Marine Biology degree - exams this months, house covered in charts identifying aspects of various invertebrates...

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
We live south of the South Downs and half a mile from the warming effects of the sea yet unusually this year have encountered 6" of snow, now turning to ice with a further light dusting of snow over the top. We are used to snow and the cold having enjoyed three years working in Canada where of course the authorities are well funded for snow clearance.

Here of course the main roads have been gritted and Mrs Deeps can walk to the excellent local junior school where she is School Librarian, one of two Year 6 Teaching Assistants and general factotum. She did a head count yesterday working out who may or may not be able to get in to school tomorrow when hopefully it will reopen. Most of the teachers and teaching assistants live well outside the school's catchment area and in her estimation over half will have difficulty getting in over non gritted secondary roads including the Head and the Deputy. Miss Deeps is beginning to fret as she starts her A2 (A Level) exams this Thursday. Next doors daughter in law teaching at a well known school in Petersfield left school last Tuesday at 1600 to arrive home in Cosham at 03 dubs the following morning following three snow plough gritters that did a sterling job apparently fighting their way in stits and farts down the A3.

If anything the secondary road conditions hereabouts remain in a worse condition than hitherto as the top surface melts during the day and then freezes again at night. If, as I suspect, everyone will attempt to return to a degree of normality tomorrow morning, we shall hear undoubtedly hear of a number of injuries that will further tax the system.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Simon - by the way, interested to hear your daughter is a marine biologist - mine is currently in her first year at Southampton Uni, NOC doing Marine Biology degree - exams this months, house covered in charts identifying aspects of various invertebrates...

Dave - good luck to her, mine had a great time at Swansea, then did PGCE at Southampton. When she graduated in 2003, no jobs for Marine Biologists unfortunately in Uk or anywhere in Europe.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
btw #1, if daughter ever gets caught out by weather here and needs a bed in the 'Sham, we have two spare rooms in easy walking distance of her school... Heck we might even take a lodger!

Greg - please can you send an email to me with your address and contact number. My daughter would be very pleased if the worst ever came to worst. She is well house-trained.
She teaches at Forest School.

BTW Alton train doesn't stop at Clapham Junction these days !

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Good old Dixie, as reliable as ever.

Slightly to the right of Atilla The Hun! :biggrin:
I have revelled in that tag line since 1988, when I returned from working in Quebec and did a short stint in the civil service until I could find a proper job. The difference in political philosophy between my erstwhile colleagues and me in Thatcherite Britain was .... almost interstellar in terms of distance. It's just as well we were only expected to cram about 1.5 hours work into the day - the rest of the time was spent in the tea room, arguing about whether Britain would fall apart quicker if we outsourced all manufacturing to China, or continued to have it done with gross inefficiency locally. Happy days....

Scarlet Al

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Might aswell add something to this thread...

This is why this school in Swansea closed at 10:30AM Tuesday, Closed Weds, open for 6th form only on Thurs. and Fri...

Just take a look at the photos... (3rd article down)...

http://www.bryntawe.swansea.sch.uk/news.php