Springboks v Lions

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I've seen some of the "helpful" decisions from the bunker, last week especially. You have an interesting definition of "well"!

More seriously, the one issue with Aitch in the bunker is that the guy in the middle of the filed is occasionally hung out to dry with comms. A decision is reached, and when the players ask why, our man in the middle is left to say " I don't have the reason, I can just tell you what I have been told"

Players wanting to dispute the team of officials decisions is not a good enough reason to not use a different TMO protocol

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Players wanting to dispute the team of officials decisions is not a good enough reason to not use a different TMO protocol

They weren't disputing but seeking to understand. With the exception of one captain (Hi James Tedesco, who gets a bollocking every game) most of the interactions seem OK.

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The pushback on refereeing decisions has gone thermonuclear on this now.

World cup winning coach has basically dropped a bomb on what was really a shocking display all round, but done it diplomatically so who knows what the repercussions will be.

Strap in
https://youtu.be/epFrwtfXF64

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've neither watched the game nor the video of the coach. However, I'm sure the lions' coaches could produce a similar video of "facts". Indeed every game would produce them. Many of those clips will prove not to be accurate anyway. This coach should recieve censure for this. It goes agains all WR protocols concerning this area of the game.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
The guy on the video seems a bit like the UEFA bloke who went power mad towards the end and started behaving erratically.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes

World cup winning coach has basically dropped a bomb on what was really a shocking display all round, but done it diplomatically so who knows what the repercussions will be.

Strap in

Really shocking display all round? Handled diplomatically? This is sarcasm, right?

The only shocking thing has been Erasmus's rants!

As Mark says, in any game both coaches could produce a similar video of decisions that went against them.

But he goes as far as drawing offside lines in the wrong place to make his point, and ignoring blatant SA foul play even when it's in his clips (like the Mostert Missile attempting a clear out)

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Erasmus, here's how to handle not getting the rub of the green.

Way back in the day England lost in the last minute to France following a quick throw in taken with the wrong ball. The skipper, Bill Beaumont, said, "Ref, wrong ball, is that OK?" The ref said "Yep, I'm giving it" Bill B. went "OK".

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Strap in

The bold bit is just a total joke! There is nothing diplomatic about his actions.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I thought this was interesting:

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/rugby...asumus-comments-surrounding-nic-berry-2021730

Would it be unusual for a referee's home union to weigh in? I kind of thought that once a referee was appointed for an international fixture they fell under WR's umbrella

WR have to take a considered view before reacting. I see no harm in the referee's parent body expressing their views. Clearly Berry himself is best advised to say nothing.

I don't care if Erasmus is right or wrong on specifics - his attack is unacceptable

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
They do and there is nothhing there that really contradicts that. The ARU are standing up for an Aussie Ref faced with a farcial piece of abuse. I see nothing wrong with that.

- - - Updated - - -

WR have to take a considered view before reacting. I see no harm in the referee's parent body expressing their views. Clearly Berry himself is best advised to say nothing.

I don't care if Erasmus is right or wrong on specifics - his attack is unacceptable

Well said and better put than my reply.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Apparently Rassie has told the Boks that if they lose today he's going to make a 2 hour video

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I didn't suggest there was any harm in it. It struck me as unusual & I wonder if it has happened in the past.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
There was an interesting event in the 2nd Test in the 55th minute.

Green scrum which they were clearly winning. Green #9 moves away from the scrum in anticipation that Green #8 would pick & go. Green #8 doesn't do so, so Green #9 returns to base of scrum. Ref awards a FK to Red for this.

Is this a thing?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Green scrum which they were clearly winning. Green #9 moves away from the scrum in anticipation that Green #8 would pick & go. Green #8 doesn't do so, so Green #9 returns to base of scrum. Ref awards a FK to Red for this.

Is this a thing?

i think the ref thought this amounted to a dummy run, making the lions believe the ball had left the scrum

- - - Updated - - -

Is this a thing?

i think the ref considered that this amounted to a dummy run, making the lions believe the ball had left the scrum

pedr

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
The ref called 'use it' as he determined the ball was won and available at the back of a stationary scrum, and might have done so just before or just as the 9 was moving away. Once he'd called it, I think he had to penalise the push, which didn't start until after the call. It was definitely tight - and the call probably happened after the 9 had decided he was going to back away.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
whatever - the coverage clearly had the ref explaining to Faf that he couldnt move away and come back etc etc

Not that a FK is worth anything anyway.