that haka again..

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
FWIW in 1992 in taranaki (and one game in 1993!) we never had a haka pre game, form either side, including predominantly maori clubs.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sometimes we have a PI tournament and the various ethic groups do their war dance thing. Toxic masculinity

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just reply with "Oggy Oggy Oggy"
and then be accused of being disrespectful.

This is probably the nub of the problem that I have with the haka ... the requirement for everyone else to respect it. In this case for two minutes

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
and then be accused of being disrespectful.

This is probably the nub of the problem that I have with the haka ... the requirement for everyone else to respect it. In this case for two minutes

Where does it state you have to respect it?
You only have to look at other teams responses to see that isn't so.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I
Where does it state you have to respect it?
You only have to look at other teams responses to see that isn't so.
It's generally expected, isn't it?
It's been a long time since Campezi

since then I have yet to see a team not take it seriously

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I

It's generally expected, isn't it?
It's been a long time since Campezi

since then I have yet to see a team not take it seriously

I'm sure last World Cup I remember there were a few teams that either ignored them or turned their backs?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm sure last World Cup I remember there were a few teams that either ignored them or turned their backs?
It would be good to hear about that if so, but my memory is everyone dutifully watching them, or organising some sort of response

Harry

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
I was thinking of after the Haka not during. Down here in the pasty loving South West the crowd will reply with "Oi Oi Oi".

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was thinking of after the Haka not during. Down here in the pasty loving South West the crowd will reply with "Oi Oi Oi".
Yes I think that crowds have generally become less respectful... while the teams still dutifully standing in front of the haka, paying attention

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yes I think that crowds have generally become less respectful... while the teams still dutifully standing in front of the haka, paying attention
I guess the novelty has worn off

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Thats it in a nutshell Dickie I reckon.
back in the day where eg UK fans only saw the ABs about every 4 years, and TC cop0vereage was a treat rather than the norm for overseas games, it was a spectacle. Now when the ABs can be seen a gazillion tinmes a year both live in the UK, and on TCV every other week etc its just another thing - like the awful anthems sung by invited "stars"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I guess the novelty has worn off
I think so (or hope so) .. but clearly not for World Rugby ! See tweet in post #1

I wonder if the haka performing countries are thinking about this. I think they would be best advised to keep them short and sweet

Harry

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
I respect the Haka, just as I respect the anthems (in fact at international matches I usually sing both if I know them)
I just think we should have a right of reply.
Maybe a compromise would be to have the Haka instead of an anthem.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I respect the Haka, just as I respect the anthems (in fact at international matches I usually sing both if I know them)
I just think we should have a right of reply.
Maybe a compromise would be to have the Haka instead of an anthem.
We do have right of reply , they are "cultural challenges" no doubt anyone can have one

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Although calling it a "cultural challenge" kind of sums up the problem. A war dance is only a "challenge" if there is someone there to be challenged.

If no one pays any attention then its just a dance

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
We do have right of reply , they are "cultural challenges" no doubt anyone can have one
Maybe the Welsh could bring out a suitably gruff Druid from the Eisteddfod to make the ABs cool their jets for a couple of minutes.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Maybe the Welsh could bring out a suitably gruff Druid from the Eisteddfod to make the ABs cool their jets for a couple of minutes.
Worth a smile but not realistic
What else could be done to signify bored of the haka ?