the Chiefs

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Some 30 years ago when we were living in the USA, John and Bernice invited us round for a barbecue. I don't really like hot weather, so after sitting in the shade for the main course I retired indoors to the air conditioning. After a bit Bernice came in to sort out some dessert and asked what we were planning for a holiday this year. I started going over various ideas we had and she suddenly said "I couldn't go there". I was puzzled, so asked why not. "Because I'm black."

I was set back on my heels. All I could think to say was "I'm sorry, I had forgotten that", but it really brought hone to me the pervasive nature of racism. I could easily mingle in places like Washington or suburban Maryland, and not care about being white. However she had no choice but to be wary in case her skin colour suddenly became significant. As an individual I can do nothing to change that.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Back to the Chiefs anyone seen any details about the claim that the name was in use in the 1900s ?

It's not a new claim, a quick google finds articles from as early as 2010, and Wikipedia links to a transcript from about the same time - basis being that in Devon it was traditional for their 1st teams to be called 'The Chiefs'

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's not a new claim, a quick google finds articles from as early as 2010, and Wikipedia links to a transcript from about the same time - basis being that in Devon it was traditional for their 1st teams to be called 'The Chiefs'

that's what I was interested in -- what was the origin ? It seemed unlikely to me that it referred to native americans (Exeter being in Devon and whatnot) .

It's easier for clubs to hang on to an unfortunate name, if they are returning to its original meaning, .... rather than being haunted by it's original meaning.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Then you are blind.

I guess then thw question is how similar do we think these two imageries are ?

1 - Crusaders (before)

ap_19093064777085_wide-2313d791410012cf6a545bc6dbd59fedc48ec6fb-s1600-c85.jpg

2 - Crusaders (after)

1561104575870.jpg

remind you of anything?

completely different? or rather similar ? :)

let's face it - they do NOT look like crusaders for women's right, or world peace, or against global warming.
But they do look quite like those religious zealots who set out to conquer the holy land :)

I think it's wrong. That's not based on what proportion of muslims profess to be offended, it's becasue I think religious wars are wrong, and shouldn't be glorified.

Last edited:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Eastern Polynesian settled in New Zealand starting in around 1280, successive waves in 1320 and 1350
European settlers started meddling in Maori affairs in 1820- 1872.

Fast forward to 1996, quite what the Canterbury connection is to the Crusaders of the Holy Land I cannot see. (1095 - 1272) Finished even before the Polynesian people discovered Aotearoa.

:sarc:But then picking names with no regional connection seems to be a thing in Rugby franchises.
[LAWS]An old Chinese proverb says that "The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names."[/LAWS]

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I guess then thw question is how similar do we think these two imageries are ?

1 - Crusaders (before)

View attachment 4036

2 - Crusaders (after)

1561104575870.jpg

remind you of anything?

Similarities

a. There are horses
b. There are people riding them
c. They're in the same rugby stadium

AND THAT IS ALL! Furthermore, they were supposed to look the similar; not the same, but similar. That was the whole idea; to give the crowd similar looking pre-match entertainment without the offensive imagery. I think that were quite clever, and highly appropriate.

Now, how about this imagery?

3. Pony Club Parades

Crusaders1.jpg

Crusaders2.JPG

remind you of anything?

NOTE: How vile of those children, riding around like religious warriors from ~800 years ago. And that second photo - well words fail me - they are carrying a cross; one that is very similar to the Templar Cross made famous by the.... wait for it..... Crusades

NOTE2: The word "crusade" is derived from the Old French "croisade" which literally means "take the cross" or "carry the cross" which itself derived from the earlier "croisée", "the state of being marked with the cross"
Oh dear me :pepper:

Last edited:

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes

This picture is not true as per club statement.

The one aspect which the board felt could be regarded as disrespectful was the club’s mascot ‘Big Chief’ and as a mark of respect have decided to retire him.

He is retired, no need to work, he is now a burden on the taxpayers. Also, he potentially can get called back, since he wasn't axed.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
and so they do :pepper:

.... just like the Templar Cross and the Cross of St George..... similar, but not the same and not identical :horse:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
An email sent to the Chicago Tribune:-
DearMr. Page: I agree with our Native American population. I am highly jilted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them a sfine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.
Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.
The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives. I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children.The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children. The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children. The Milwaukee Brewers.Well that goes without saying. Wrong message to our children.

So,there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the do-nothing Congress loves.

As a die-hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers (especially when they play Southern California. Do we really want the Trojans sticking it to the Beavers???

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. As for the Redskins name I would suggest they change the name to the "Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the dick heads in Washington DC.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't really get it, it's like "if we change this offensive name, then we'll have to change all the other offensive names" (well, yes) "and then we'll have to change all the inoffensive names" (well, no)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I don't really get it, it's like "if we change this offensive name, then we'll have to change all the other offensive names" (well, yes) "and then we'll have to change all the inoffensive names" (well, no)

that's the problem with 'offence'. It is such a nebulus concept. Who is offended, how many people are offended, etc. In today's world, it all revolves around corporations applying pressure to ensure max profits.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
No mate. Racism is racism! End of. The only good racist (black or white) is a dead racist.
Watch how many racists take offense in the proposition of curtailing their stay on this mortal coil.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
No mate. Racism is racism! End of. The only good racist (black or white) is a dead racist.
Watch how many racists take offense in the proposition of curtailing their stay on this mortal coil.
(There must be a Tongue in cheek icon missing...)

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Its very simple... its called human nature. When people feel singled out for something they do or say, they tend to feel aggrieved when they see others who do or say the same thing, but they are not singled out. As a referee you should understand this, you are likely to encounter this every weekend.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I reckon every single team with a dodgy name is feeling the pressure by now ....