the Chiefs

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I reckon every single team with a dodgy name is feeling the pressure by now ....

A sad and disturbing fact in the totally ****ed-up world we live in now!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I reckon every single team with a dodgy name is feeling the pressure by now ....

WASPS - what were they thinking? Canceled
Saracens - seriously? Canceled
Leicester Tigers - cultural appropriation of fauna from an oppressed country. Canceled
Northampton Saints - Latter-Day aka Mormons. Like one wife wasn't enough. Canceled
Sale Sharks - murderers of the sea. Canceled

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I thought this was good
EefZSEUXkAEOC-I

note it's from 2002 ! So anticipates the Offical Chief's feckless statement last week, by almost twenty years.

via chiefs for change -
https://twitter.com/ExChiefs4Change/status/1290238724656123905

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

"Indigenous Alice Springs town councillor Jacinta Price described the call to rename Smarter White milk as 'utter nonsense'.
'I don't know a single Indigenous Australian who is offended at all by milk being called 'Smarter White',' she told Daily Mail Australia.

'Indigenous Australian have far greater issues to be concerned with than the name of a brand of cheese named after its founder or what's written on a carton of milk.'

Ms Price, who ran as a Country Liberal Party candidate at last year's federal election, said affluent activists 'whose lives are easy' were inventing issues to feel like victims instead of addressing family violence and sexual abuse in Aboriginal communities.

'I'd advise anyone who chooses to be offended by such a ridiculous proposition to assess their priorities,' she said.

'The victim mentality is unhealthy and completely unhelpful in attempting to address the real issues.'

If I lived in Alice, I'd be voting for her.

I'd apply the same sentiment to calls for change to names of sports teams (with the possible exception of the "Redskins" where it is a real racist insult). Its nothing more than a bunch of professional offence-taking virtue signalers displaying poutrage about stuff that isn't any of their business.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Perhaps Warburton's should examine branding that infers white people are better and stronger than black people...

Mighty-White-01-750x750.jpg

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd apply the same sentiment to calls for change to names of sports teams (with the possible exception of the "Redskins" where it is a real racist insult)..

possible exception?
when it is a "real racist insult"?

So you are able to scan through various names and personalky determine which ones are "real" racist insults , and which ones are imagined
But even when you determine it really is racist, it's only a "possible" exception. .. it might actually be ok to have a *real racist insult" as a team name ?

I see.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So you are able to scan through various names and personalky determine which ones are "real" racist insults , and which ones are imagined

Here, let me baby-walk you through it since you seem to find the concept of racism so difficult to grasp (which in itself is surprising from someone seems to take so much pride in being a warrior for social justice.)

"Redskins" for a team name is a direct, racist insult to ALL Native Americans. "Redskin" is to a Native American what "Nigger" is to a black man, and "Darkie" is to anyone of colour. They are not just dog-whistles for racism, they are a direct, pejorative reference to the victim's skin colour. There are no other possible innocent or alternative meanings for any of these words, or at least, there are none that have not been contrived to justify their use.

"Chief" is NOT a racist word. Calling someone a "chief" does not insult their race or ethnicity; rather, calling them "chief" could, depending on the circumstances, actually be a term of esteem or regard. Chief also can mean "main" or "primary". It is also used as a rank - Chief Clerk, Fire Chief, Chief of Police, Crew Chief, COB (Chief of the Boat on a submarine).

"Crusader" is NOT a racist word. Calling someone a "Crusader" does not insult their race or ethnicity; rather, calling them a "crusader" is actually a term of respect in modern language. A crusader is someone who fights for a cause such as rights, justice or freedom.

The sad thing about this is that these things need to be explained to you, an adult, who ought to know this already.

possible exception?
when it is a "real racist insult"?

But even when you determine it really is racist, it's only a "possible" exception. .. it might actually be ok to have a *real racist insult" as a team name ?

Its a "possible exception" to me because I am not a Native American, therefore, it is not in my purview to speak on their behalf. The terms "Nigger" and "Darkie" are definite exceptions, because, not only do I personally know people of black and dark skin colours who are deeply offended by their use, it is very well and widely understood that this so.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
so your understandng of the word is ..

"Redskins" for a team name is a direct, racist insult to ALL Native Americans. "Redskin" is to a Native American what "Nigger" is to a black man, and "Darkie" is to anyone of colour. They are not just dog-whistles for racism, they are a direct, pejorative reference to the victim's skin colour. There are no other possible innocent or alternative meanings for any of these words, or at least, there are none that have not been contrived to justify their use.

but, still, you are unable to wholly commit to it being unacceptable as a team name

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Oh, and while I'm at it, "cultural appropriation" is sheer bunkum - a term made up by social justice warriors and other virtue signallers to give themselves yet another flimsy excuse to be offended and poutraged over nothing.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
so your understandng of the word is ..

but, still, you are unable to say it's unacceptable as a team name

I directly answered this question. Did you bother to read my ****ing post or are you just feigning ignorance?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I directly answered this question. Did you bother to read my ****ing post or are you just feigning ignorance?

I read you
I'd apply the same sentiment to calls for change to names of sports teams (with the possible exception of the "Redskins" where it is a real racist insult)..

Its a "possible exception" to me because I am not a Native American, therefore, it is not in my purview to speak on their behalf. .

even though it's a real racist insult, you can't quite bring yourself to condemn it as a team name, without reservation.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I read you

even though it's a real racist insult, you can't quite bring yourself to condemn it as a team name, without reservation.

If it were up to me, I would absolutely condemn the use of "Redskins" as a team name.