the Chiefs

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
that may not matter. The woke folk have a propensity for being offended on behalf of others.

What is wrong with being "Alert to injustice in society, especially racism."?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It would have offended me so I too would have objected. If that make you feel good calling me woke: Rock On.

The nonsense comment about craft beer shows how much tosh was in the article.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
As someone who has had to come to terms with this over a lifelong fandom/relationship (I had childhood dreams of portraying a now-banned mascot, and started the process once I moved to Uni), IMO it's best to get it done and over with.

The intentions don't matter, but the impact is real. It is not hard to find a nickname to rally fans around that does not invoke offensive imagery.

The last thing you want to do is be compared to the chuckle****s from the Pekin High School class of 1966, who are still mad over a mascot that got changed 40 years ago.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Free sailors?

Oh geez, after a stop at the urban dictionary, I have come to the realization that I am alone in referring to the British accent as funny talk.

Sailors and pirates do talk funnily, but I have used "funny talker" to describe Brits, Oz, SA, welsh, scots, irish , and kiwi accents on the rugby field solely on the sounds coming out of their mouths.

I thought "funny talker" was a common expression. I owe you an apology for my indiscretion and ignorance.

I'm sorry you talk funny.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Regarding the Irishtimes opinion piece: I am not sure I’d describe Brian Boyd as a journalist, more of a sh#@ slinger really. Anyone who hides the fact he is Irish when abroad on holiday isn’t worth the time of day really. Saying «*I’m Lars from Denmark*» in an Irish accent cannot be all that believable. He goes away thinking his subterfuge worked a treat, the foreigners go away asking themselves, «*Who was that Irish tw@t?*»

Last edited:

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
What is wrong with being "Alert to injustice in society, especially racism."?

Nothing wrong, in fact it is kinda very apparent.

Now where does problem actually lie across the spectrum, is it anecdotal events or all the way to enforced racism by the state.

It is quite a broad topic and hardly fit for blog style discussion and just the statement of racism, or calling someone a racist

the Chiefs, on the other hand, is perfect for the blog argument.

FYI, I think there is an NFL team called the chiefs also, I haven't heard concern about them. I'll goggle

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
If anyone were to have a “normal” accent, when speaking English, surely it would have to be an Englishman. American accents aren’t neutral, just ask. Southerner, or someone from Boston or New York. For us, you guys sound like something out of a Shakespearien play

tru dat, merica have comical speech tendencies and you do not have to travel far to find them. Hence, the humour and intent in my "I'm sorry you talk funny" apology and not "funnily"

Last edited:

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Oh geez, after a stop at the urban dictionary, I have come to the realization that I am alone in referring to the British accent as funny talk.

Sailors and pirates do talk funnily, but I have used "funny talker" to describe Brits, Oz, SA, welsh, scots, irish , and kiwi accents on the rugby field solely on the sounds coming out of their mouths.

I thought "funny talker" was a common expression. I owe you an apology for my indiscretion and ignorance.

I'm sorry you talk funny.

What about a Freeman of Swansea? Were NYFJs formed by a Welshman by any chance?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
that may not matter. The woke folk have a propensity for being offended on behalf of others.

It would have offended me so I too would have objected. If that make you feel good calling me woke: Rock On.

" 'Woke' is a pejorative term used by racists, homophobes and misogynists to describe people who possess a fully functional moral compass.'
-Anonymous

Last edited:

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
" 'Woke' is a pejorative term used by racists, homophobes and misogynists to describe people who possess a fully functional moral compass.'
-Anonymous

Huh, all this time I thought it was past tense of wake.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
“A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.”

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Regarding the Irishtimes opinion piece: I am not sure I’d describe Brian Boyd as a journalist, more of a sh#@ slinger really. Anyone who hides the fact he is Irish when abroad on holiday isn’t worth the time of day really. Saying «*I’m Lars from Denmark*» in an Irish accent cannot be all that believable. He goes away thinking his subterfuge worked a treat, the foreigners go away asking themselves, «*Who was that Irish tw@t?*»

Be that as it may, it is an interesting conundrum where in one corner we have "the local 'first inhabitants' support it, nothing to see here, move along" and in the other "it is our duty to fight for the oppressed and downtrodden, even if they don't want us to fight for them".

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Be that as it may, it is an interesting conundrum where in one corner we have "the local 'first inhabitants' support it, nothing to see here, move along" and in the other "it is our duty to fight for the oppressed and downtrodden, even if they don't want us to fight for them".

Put like that why would anyone not be in the second corner ?