Uncontested scrums and STE on Sevens

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So I was watching a game from last weekends HSBC Series and as a hooker* was YC'ed wondered about that possiblity.

Do the scrum players in Sevens need to be STE? How many FR (or only row) replacements should be? What if a team after two days of playing can't field 3 FRs on a final because of injuries?

*Actually a so-called-hooker who plays inside centre in the XV-a-side game :biggrin:

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Nobody? Ok, I know is a non-standard question, but it popped into my head the other day and really had no clue.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

probably coz no one really cares about 7's scrums... it's not really a scrum...it's just a big cuddle by the larger backs and they don't needs training for that.

when Ive reffed 7's and it was scrum time, ive never worried about it and just consider it a proper 'ruck'...ball in quickly, lots of feet stomping about, ball out and away we go. no point over thinking it IMO.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes you do have to be STE but the amount of T and E that is S for sevens is a lot less than for fifteens

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes you do have to be STE but the amount of T and E that is S for sevens is a lot less than for fifteens
Crossref hits the nail on the head. The body angles remain important to minimise neck injury, particularly in a collapse, but without the forces of five big guys shoving you into the oppo 8, the risks are much diminished. Consequently, the amount of T&E required is also much diminished. And as always, we only get involved when it becomes apparent that the coach has dangerously overestimated the amount of S that his FR displays.