USA Rugby National Development Summit

Dave Sherwin

Referees in the Cayman Islands
Post Likes
Any of our US, Canadian or other NACRA region refs going to be attending this? I'm aiming to make it as the programme looks good. Alain Rolland as final speaker of the day.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Informative website here - well done USA

Plus Kurt Weaver has a thread on USA Rugby Referees on Facebook.

2015 USA National Referees Development Summit.JPG

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
if I was organising I'd look at the 11:30 slot, where both the coaching session and the reffing session is about the breakdown (if I were attending I'd have marked both those sessions!)

Dave Sherwin

Post Likes
The USA Rugby Referees facebook page is good, especially the law exams!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
The Facebook page is full of halfwits who shouldn't be near a whistle or rugby field - recent discussion on tackle/gate/offside lines being prime evidence

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
is that thew ankle tap video simon?
didds

Dave Sherwin

Post Likes
The Facebook page is full of halfwits who shouldn't be near a whistle or rugby field - recent discussion on tackle/gate/offside lines being prime evidence

I don't disagree on some of the queries raised, but I think those that run it make a good effort and some of the links posted are good. Of course, standard nowhere near this!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
is that thew ankle tap video simon?
didds

It is. I despair, I really do.

Dave - that Facebook page is about the only half decent thing that Central Office do for the wider refereeing community. Frankly if they worked for me I'd have fired the lot of them. They have a semi decent Facebook page that is populated by idiots and sycophants. It's badly moderated, and there is no long term thought process for how to use the tool.

I'm trying to manage and grow a small referee society in Virginia. Despite requests to Colorado, would you like to take a guess as to how much help I've gotten from them? Go on, guess. Probably too busy writing the next novel.

Dave Sherwin

Post Likes
Could I be of any assistance? Can probably get to you for a weekend, ref a game and deliver a World Rugby Level 1 or 2 course.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Informative website here - well done USA

Plus Kurt Weaver has a thread on USA Rugby Referees on Facebook.

Ah the young ref that introduced me to rugbyrefs, probably to shut me up (justified).

His is a bit more of a conformist than I, he has to be. He works for USArugby. He had great potential as a Marco Rubio impersonator, but turned to refereeing as his hairline changed and Rubio killed his own chances to win presidency with a simple drink of water.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I really appreciate the offer, thanks.

I have IRB (or World Rugby) Educators. My difficulties are in recruiting/developmental training. Like most of the US I have a widish geo dispersal - 350 miles + at the widest, and about 300 N/S, which makes training sessions difficult to organize.

Here's where I get the head butt. Last year, or 2 years ago, Colorado decided to have monthly LRO calls, to which I was invited. They had the bright idea of "certification" for Ref Socs. One of the subjects they brought up was regular training. I explained that everyone sensible in my Society had a full time job that carried fairly demanding hours. There's no way I can put a training program together. But, I said, I have two Educators, and I train regularly as part of my job. You give us material - the stuff that USA R thinks is important for referees, and we can deliver it. Win/Win, right? We get to deliver training, and USA R get to ensure that every Society and every referee is getting a consistent message rather than the balkanized local variants that currently happens.

Great idea quoth our friendly novel writer. Since then? Crickets. Tumbleweed. A church bell tolls.

You know what? **** em. Great. Leah Berard gets international gigs. We don't have enough referees to cover all our games each weekend. I'm not personally a fan of driving 250 miles one way and then having to do 2 or 3 games in one day and driving home. To quote Mr McClane, I'm getting too old for this shit.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Dave Sherman,

as you'll be attending the summit (I can't unless someone pays my fare) perhaps you can ask if USA Rugby will be implementing the IRB's 'temporary replacement protocol' for players undergoing off pitch concussion assessment.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
usar and it's employees function for nothing but self promotion/job preservation...there is no genuine indication that they are for the good of the sport.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
usar and it's employees function for nothing but self promotion/job preservation...there is no genuine indication that they are for the good of the sport.

i-sense-that-youre-mad-bro-thumb.jpg

mmssff (stutter - sorry)

Dave Sherwin

Post Likes
Dave Sherman,

as you'll be attending the summit (I can't unless someone pays my fare) perhaps you can ask if USA Rugby will be implementing the IRB's 'temporary replacement protocol' for players undergoing off pitch concussion assessment.

which bit in particular?

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I actually got a voicemail from someone in Colorado whom I've never met indicating the summit is happening, and wanted to gauge whether I was interested in attending or some shit like that.

For all of the great things going on at this summit, the approximately one month advance notice seems...haphazard.

I would like to go, but have had the weekend blocked off for months (and my commitment is local). What gets my goat is that little if any material will be made publicly available to the rugby community.

For those going: Fly into O'Hare, and take the Blue Line to Rosemont. You can then walk 2-3 blocks to the hotel.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Dave, the bit that treats leaving the pitch for a concussion assessment same as blood. Temporary replacement for 10 minutes (not enough IMO).

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Dave, the bit that treats leaving the pitch for a concussion assessment same as blood. Temporary replacement for 10 minutes (not enough IMO).

It's the Law 3 "Law Amendment Trial" in the 2015 Lawbook; it starts:

[LAWS]LAW AMENDMENT TRIAL
Temporary replacement - head injury assessment

In all situations, if there are any indications of concussion a player MUST be removed from play. This is known as Recognise and Remove. For tournaments and matches approved by the Union or Rugby body having jurisdiction and with trained healthcare professionals, a temporary replacement may be used for a player who has a head injury where the diagnosis is unclear.

(a) When a player leaves the field to have a head injury assessment that player may be temporarily replaced. If the player who has been temporarily replaced does not return to the field of play within ten minutes (actual time) of leaving the playing area, the replacement becomes permanent and the replaced player must not return to the field of play.

...[/LAWS]

Which I read as saying:

In all games, anyone with indications of concussion leaves the field.

If there are trained healthcare professionals around, and the tournament/match is approved by the national Union (ie it's not eg a friendly match), then the player can come back onto the field if s/he passes a pitchside assement within 10 minutes of going off - and can be temporarily replaced while being assessed.

If there are none, or the game isn't approved by the Union, then he stays off and any sub is permanent.

So for a player with indications of concussion it's either pitchside assessment plus temporary replacement; or "your match is over" and, if available, a permanent replacement; depending on the status of the match.

Which would seem to mean that USA Rugby doesn't get an opt-out of temporary substitution while an assessment takes place; although, in another thread, SimonSmith indicates that they have taken an opt-out.

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
USA have elected to not do this at any level lower than International. Part of their positioning IIRC is that a "trained healthcare person" should be a neurologist or similar, not Jimmy The Trainer