Wales v France SF

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I'm afraid we don't make the laws. We just interpret them and apply them.

But they are applied so loosely and to wherever it suits the ref.

Never ever have we seen a red card given for a spear tackle at a RWC. Never ever.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Admittedly, it didn't look as bad the first time at full speed. On replay though, it was a clear RC.

I'll add that the Australian commentators were of the opinion that it would probably be a RC. So not all the commentators are ignorant.

that just means they reckon aus has a better chance of beating france than wales in the final!

didds

dgilks

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
that just means they reckon aus has a better chance of beating france than wales in the final!

didds

Nah. They've been pretty pro-Wales throughout the game.

bignij

Referees in England
Post Likes

Never ever have we seen a red card given for a spear tackle at a RWC. Never ever.
There was a directive to clamp down on dangerous play, and certain other offences, at the start of last season and reinforced this season.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm sure I'm in the minority and will get lambasted by you all - but admittedly my first reaction without replays or slo-mo was YC. The mitigating factor for mine was he dropped him not twisted or drove him and I though more flat back landing than shoulders or neck. Perhaps I'll reread the directives!! But seeing these events helps me find where the line is drawn on Yc to Rc.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm sorry but this highlights a fundamental problem with the Red Card system. There is no doubt that is a dangerous tackle, and should be suspended. But it doesn't warrant a bloke spending the rest of the game off. It's killed the game.

I think most of you guys need to spend a bit of time playing our great game. The game is not about the ref. I repeat. Not about the ref!

Spear tackles in this tournament have not been red carded ever in this tournament or in previous ones. A precedent shouldn't be set this late in the tournament.

No it's not about the referee. What you're saying is that you don't want the referee to make the correct (and big) decisions at all.

The iRB tells referees our tolerance, we just apply them. If you don't agree with it there are the relevant channels to complain via your union.

With your comment about a dangerous tackle not warranting a man being sent from the playing area then that's just silly. What if he makes a second such tackle? The lawyers would have a field day as the second would be an avoidable injury.

If you take a man off his feet and take him beyond the horizontal then you cannot blame the referee if he takes the view of a RC.

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes

That's the worst tackle I've seen in this WC by quite some distance. Dropped down onto head and neck from almost vertical position. Really no option. Good to see general consensus on here (inc. from our welsh contributors). You need an ultimate sanction, the RC is that.

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
There was a directive to clamp down on dangerous play, and certain other offences, at the start of last season and reinforced this season.
Really?

I saw one red card for Spear Tackles in the S15 this year, the rest were yellow cards.

This is a cop out. I pity the Welsh captain.

Why isn't Barnes refereeing this game? I just can't get over this.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The game is not about the ref. I repeat. Not about the ref!

Absolutely! Its a players game!

These are professional players. they earn more cash that I - and possibly you - could possibly dream of . they have HOURS every week to ensure they are right on top of their game.

If they don't understand what their responsibilities are when they step onto a pitch then you have to seriously question WTF they are doing and how they are tempering their play to fit.

I don't doubt that warburton's tackle was "accidental" ie not designed to be malicious. But the IRB memo is very clear.

Meanwhile... refs don't write the lawbook and the interpretational memos. The IRB does.

Oh - and I'm not a ref. I'm coach. An that was as clear a red card as I have ever seen.

And i it helps... I want Wales to win.

didds

bignij

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think most of you guys need to spend a bit of time playing our great game. The game is not about the ref. I repeat. Not about the ref!
I forgot about this bit. I have no official figures but I think most of us are ex or current players.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
RC , with no mitigation to go down to YC.

Correct decision, totally in line with IRB Guidelines.

Real shame as it wasn't deliberate, and now Wales have a mountain to climb.

pedr

Getting to know the game
Post Likes

That may be true, but there have been two incidents which didn't receive red cards ending with the disciplinary panels ruling they should have been red.

I think that - even putting aside a theoretical discussion of whether that should be a red card - the message sent by the disciplinary panel made it very likely that any ref would send off for that.

ITV half-time discussion utterly scathing of the decision, unsurprisingly.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
ITV half-time discussion utterly scathing of the decision, unsurprisingly.

i emailed ITV.

I suspect it will get read on Monday morning.

didds

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
Please refer to Adam's statement at the start of this thread - decision was perfectly in line with IRB's instructions of this year and hence inapplicable to previous WCs!

Forest22

Referees in England
Post Likes
I thought the rc was justified. Clueless comentators apu you cannot lift a players legs past the horizontal and then drop him very dangerous! Grow up lawrence

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I forgot about this bit. I have no official figures but I think most of us are ex or current players.

Clearly not spending enough time playing it.

This wouldn't even be a dispute had there been a degree of consistency by referees over the years. I wouldn't be disputing it, nobody would.

All we as spectators want is consistency and really you can't blame people out in the rugby public who just think these referees aren't up to it.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
you guys do a GREAT job of educating me... as soon as I saw it I thought "Red Card".
Coukld somebody email the law to ITV marked FAO: Nigel Owen, who is of the opinion it was a PK AT MOST!

The pro commentator has a job to whip up controversey so _might_ be excused (or at least understood but Owen is obviously speaking from the heart-it is what he truly "understands".

didds

How do you know what Nigel Owen thinks?

pedr

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Clearly not spending enough time playing it.

This wouldn't even be a dispute had there been a degree of consistency by referees over the years. I wouldn't be disputing it, nobody would.

All we as spectators want is consistency and really you can't blame people out in the rugby public who just think these referees aren't up to it.
Then it may be better to criticise previous refs, even in this WC, who haven't sent off for dangerous tip tackles - though the players should have paid attention to the end results of those incidents and the bans imposed.

And I'm Welsh and utterly deflated given the way Wales were playing in first 19 minutes.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes

Put the blame for "spoiling the game" where it belongs: Sam Warburton!

Refs don't infringe: Players do!

Deeko

Post Likes
I thought the rc was justified. Clueless comentators apu you cannot lift a players legs past the horizontal and then drop him very dangerous! Grow up lawrence

They tried to justify it by saying he released him after he realised Clerc's legs were past horizontal....err, that'll be a card then starting at red.

Wales are doing well with 14......hope they can pull this off. It'll be interesting to see if the IRB bow to the media and let Warburton play in the final as it would completely undermine Rolland.