'Walk Ten' option.

IF the 10m advancement could be changed, would you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
I found the Law 21.7 reference totally convincing as it fits in precisely with what every referee does. "10 metres in front of the mark" is not measured sideways or diagonally.

But whether or not one likes your idea (I am not convinced) it is going nowhere.

10.4(n) . . . and advances the mark for the penalty kick 10 metres.

You obviously don't give much, if any, credence to my belief that 'advances' can be interpreted as pacing ten in any direction along a plane but back . . . and that 'in front of' is not necessarily restricted to immediately ahead?

As I pointed out earlier, OB, a player can be offside should he be 'in front of' the ball-carrier on the other side of the FoP.

Perhaps, however, you would do me a favour and arrange a poll to find out which walk members favour . . . .'Ten ahead' or Ten to the posts' ?

And what has 'go foward' got to do with the wording of the 10m walk laws, didds?

Last edited:

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
'this', in your words, "I can advance it, but it wont be the full 10m as I can only go as far as the 5m line".

. . . . and the question, Meaning no disrespect, Bryan, but is it customary for refs to ask this particularly at elite levels?

What the heck are these elite refs asking?

Paint me a picture here, Picasso, and I'll do my best.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
this is a Forum for serious dicsussion about Rugby Refereeing topics - this is total poppycock and a complete waste of time.

Pacing any direction for an extra 10m in anything but parallel to touch is not going to happen at any level of rugby - forget it.

As they say on Dragon's Den "I am out"

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
What the heck are these elite refs asking?

Paint me a picture here, Picasso, and I'll do my best.

:hap: You stated: "I can advance it, but it wont be the full 10m as I can only go as far as the 5m line".

I asked: " Is it customary for refs to ask this, particularly at elite levels?

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
this is a Forum for serious dicsussion about Rugby Refereeing topics - this is total poppycock and a complete waste of time.

Pacing any direction for an extra 10m in anything but parallel to touch is not going to happen at any level of rugby - forget it.

How serious do you want to get, Simon? What's your answer to post #45, please? Do you agree with Bryan?

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
:hap: You stated: "I can advance it, but it wont be the full 10m as I can only go as far as the 5m line".

I asked: " Is it customary for refs to ask this, particularly at elite levels?

OOH, I know, let's role play!

You be the elite ref. Ask the question you're asking me if elite refs ask. Write a sentence, and stick a question mark at the end of it. Put it in quotation marks. Here, I'll start:

Eddie, the Elite Ref Asks: ______________________________________?

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Having read this thread, the bottom of my sherry bottle is looking very tempting...

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
How serious do you want to get, Simon? What's your answer to post #45, please? Do you agree with Bryan?

The only "asks" an Elite Ref would perhaps make are when a scrum option is available (kick off not 10m, not st8 at line out, differential penalty, etc).

The referee manages the match and communicates with the skippers/players - it isn't a debating society or asking for approval of decisions.

In a practical situation of being within 10m of goal line, we are going to see 3 points effort, scrum option or kick to corner if wide out.

In real matches things just don't tend to happen as in your obscure hypothetical scenarios.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
OOH, I know, let's role play!

You be the elite ref. Ask the question you're asking me if elite refs ask. Write a sentence, and stick a question mark at the end of it. Put it in quotation marks. Here, I'll start:

Eddie, the Elite Ref Asks: ______________________________________?

How's about. If the 5m line is a shade short of 10 paces does the ref take shorter steps?

. . . . and who's Eddie?

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
How's about. If the 5m line is a shade short of 10 paces does the ref take shorter steps?

. . . . and who's Eddie?

I take twelve steps for 10 metres. I can't believe you're asking this question.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes

. . . . and who's Eddie?

It's not about steps, it's about distance. It's 10m, or up to the offending team's 5m line. In a straight line. Unlike your arguments, which go around in circles.

Eddie's a guy I bought a dime bag off of last week. I was hoping for speedballs but it looks like you got them first.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Chopper,

Your interpretation of advancing the penalty 10m in another direction but forwards is not how we referee it.

However, I, and I believe some other referees here, do actually like the idea (surprisingly one of your better ones) of being able to march a penalty further towards the middle of the posts than forward towards the goal line. I actually think giving the non offending side the choice would be fair too, "Would you like 10m forward or 10m inwards?" Perhaps only an option if the original penalty is within the opposing 22m.

I like the idea, too.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
:holysheep:
It's not about steps, it's about distance. It's 10m, or up to the offending team's 5m line. In a straight line. Unlike your arguments, which go around in circles.

Eddie's a guy I bought a dime bag off of last week. I was hoping for speedballs but it looks like you got them first.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
:biggrin:

:biggrin:Eddie's a guy I bought a dime bag off of last week. I was hoping for speedballs but it looks like you got them first.

. . you really don't get it do you, Bryan?:biggrin:

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Totally lost in translation. Maybe you need to write it in the ref rote so I understand?

That makes two of us Bryan. A cultural thing I suspect . . . or age difference, my children are probably older than you.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

Me too.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Rob, if possible can you provide us with a "car wreck" emoticon. Would be very useful for this thread!