Where the 2018 Law Book is actually different from 2017

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Still waiting. No rush though Jan 1 is a long way off.

Seriously you'd think a basic email saying "here it is but don't worry nothing's changed" message is all in needed. Why do club's get t osee it but not referees?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Seriously you'd think a basic email saying "here it is but don't worry nothing's changed" message is all in needed.

Stop it, just stop it! You are making too much sense!

This is World Rugby we are dealing with here, where the wheels grind exceedingly slowly.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Crossref, really good effort here, thanks. Re the Cavalry Charge - I am one of the few refs (or so I am told) to actually penalise this - in out age grade there is a general prohibition on attacking players being "in motion" to use the grid iron phrase before the tap is taken. I actually wonder if that would not be a good thing for all rugby. In other words, no steaming up at full chat to take the pop pass.

As for the KO into in goal, for me the fundamental bit about getting a 22 DO from played in to IG is that it is legally played, eg carried in or kicked in. I can live with a distinction about the ball getting into the in goal by an infringement. I think the 2018 book is fine if you read the relevant law as legally played in to in goal.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Yes, that tells you where the scrum is, if there is a scrum. If advantage is played and gained we dont have a scrum. So the question is whether you can gain adv by making it dead for a dropout... As per posts above

It cannot.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Out of interest, has anyone received anything from their Society?

I am a society admin, and we have not received anything on this yet. I posted the link to the 2018 Laws on the USA Rugby Referees facebook page. It was removed without explanation.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Stop it, just stop it! You are making too much sense!

This is World Rugby we are dealing with here, where the wheels grind exceedingly slowly.

THe sad thing is my own society secretary promises to reply and does not. Our Law expert does not even reply and our appointment officer also does not reply. Spoke to a ref today who knew nothing about it. It really is shabby all around.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Crossref, really good effort here, thanks. Re the Cavalry Charge - I am one of the few refs (or so I am told) to actually penalise this - in out age grade there is a general prohibition on attacking players being "in motion" to use the grid iron phrase before the tap is taken. I actually wonder if that would not be a good thing for all rugby. In other words, no steaming up at full chat to take the pop pass.

I have no problem at adult level with players in motion receiving a pass from a tap kick, only if there are several players in motion all charging at the same time. The Laws about Cavalry Charges are not about player safety, they are about fairness (in this case, a Cavalry Charge puts the opposition in the position of having to infringe to stop it)

Its the Flying Wedge that puts players in danger.

FWIW, I would also outlaw the practice of team-mates binding onto the ball-carrier before the ball-carrier is tackled in order to "drive" the ball carrier through the tackle. This practice is dangerous and has lead to some bad injuries, both of the ball carrier and any would be tackler.

As for the KO into in goal, for me the fundamental bit about getting a 22 DO from played in to IG is that it is legally played, eg carried in or kicked in. I can live with a distinction about the ball getting into the in goal by an infringement. I think the 2018 book is fine if you read the relevant law as legally played in to in goal.

Agree.

As soon as the ball is played into the in-goal by way of an infringement, or an infringement is committed in the in-goal, the sanction for either being a scrum, then the 22DO is off the menu, and a scrum becomes the only possible outcome unless the ball is played out of in-goal by the defence. Touching the ball down is NOT playing it out of in-goal.

Last edited:

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Taking my first dip into the detail, it's all a bit tedious really if there are no real changes?

Looks to be a reversion from the new amended tackle law trial, back to the tackler being allowed to play the ball from any direction, if he complies with all the other requirements, 14.6? Good decision if it is indeed the case!

Presumably these laws will need to be picked up in SH for the commencement of the season and in NH in July time?

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Looks to be a reversion from the new amended tackle law trial, back to the tackler being allowed to play the ball from any direction, if he complies with all the other requirements, 14.6? Good decision if it is indeed the case!

No, I don't think that is the intent. It appears to me that the recent "amendments" haven't been included yet, maybe because they are still under trial. A simple example: in the 7s variations, the new 2018 book still allows for the Cup game to be 10 minute halves

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Taking my first dip into the detail, it's all a bit tedious really if there are no real changes?

Presumably these laws will need to be picked up in SH for the commencement of the season and in NH in July time?

The current law trials are not included, as they're only trials.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The current law trials are not included, as they're only trials.

They are included in the 2017 Law Book, marked as Trials
It is normal practice for Law Books to include ongoing Trials , and it's certainly a serious deficiency in the 2018 version.

I even wonder if this problem with the Law Book might explain posts 65 and 66 , and lack of distribution from Societies .. is there a move to get that fixed before distributing ? As it stands I think it will cause some confusion when it goes out .

Last edited:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I haven't made up my mind yet whether I prefer all the definitions to be in one spot (2018) or associated with specific laws. As a data base designer in a prior life I can appreciate the elimination of redundancy.

Her are a few where the wording has changed and I question the meaning or purpose:

2017: Dead: The ball is out of play. This happens when the ball has gone outside the playing area and remained there, or when the referee has blown the whistle to indicate a stoppage in play, or when a conversion kick has been taken.

2018: Dead: The ball is dead when the referee blows the whistle to stop play or following an unsuccessful conversion.

2017: Line of touch: Law 19 - Touch and Lineout. An imaginary line at right angles to the touchline at the place where the ball is thrown in from touch.

2018: Mark of touch: An imaginary line in the field of play at right angles to the touchline through the place where the ball is thrown in. The mark of touch cannot be within five metres of a goal line.

Defined in 2017 but not in 2018:

Out of play: This happens when the ball or the ball carrier has gone into touch or touch-in-goal, or touched or crossed the dead ball line.
Oversteps: A player steps across a line with one or both feet; the line may be real (for example, goal-line) or imaginary (for example, offside line).

2017: Possession: This happens when a player is carrying the ball or a team has the ball in its control; for example, the ball in one half of a scrum or ruck is in that team’s possession.

2018: Possession: An individual or team in control of the ball or who are attempting to bring it under control.

2017: Sanction: The punitive action taken by the referee against an infringing player or team.

2018: Sanction: The method by which the game is restarted following an infringement or stoppage.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
They are included in the 2017 Law Book, marked as Trials
It is normal practice for Law Books to include ongoing Trials , and it's certainly a serious deficiency in the 2018 version.

I even wonder if this problem with the Law Book might explain posts 65 and 66 , and lack of distribution from Societies .. is there a move to get that fixed before distributing ? As it stands I think it will cause some confusion when it goes out .

2 days left to do so! Also the online version is up, lack of warts and all!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
what could POSSIBLY go wrong?

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

msf..

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The 2018 Laws are now on world rugby website
(I haven't checked to see if they are the same as the version Phil E posted, I assume so? /

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Overall I like the 2018 Law Book
With one big exception .. it's been published out of date, as it doesn't include the 2017 (ie current) Law Trials . I see that as a serious defect .. some of them have been in operation for a year already (in the southern hemisphere) it's crazy to go from a Law Book that includes them to one that doesn't

I note also the section in the website that covers the Law Trials is referenced to the old Law Book