• Dog whistle!!!

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Why not an electronically generated whistle sound?

I think there's merit in this idea. Wouldn't even need to be a whistle sound. Maybe we could carry one of these ...

Last edited:

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
In the last 2 months, I've seen 2 refs suffer duff whistles. One was in an Ospreys game on TV and the other was in my boys District game. In both cases, the refs just reached into their pocket and pulled out a spare.

I'm not sure if he was winding you up Mr Whittaker. When I did my WRU Level 1 course, the ref in charge told us that good refs were expected to be able to play a tune on their whistle, to adjust the tone during the game. Sadly, he didn't tell us how to adjust the tone.

In fact all my whistle blowing sounds monotonous (only the volume changes) and I was thinking of starting a thread on how to get it right. The only reason I haven't, was because it may appear such a stupid question - and I've already exceeded my quota of stupid questions for this month. :eek:

For me, whistle tone wasn't an issue. It came naturally, even though I'd never properly been to rugby matches before I started refereeing (Wendyball family and all that). Just get out there for a few matches, ignore the TV referees' whistle tones and remember, power is generated by air pressure through the whistle, so don't puff out cheeks!

From what I remember, we did a thread on Whistle Tone a while ago.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... It came naturally ..... From what I remember, we did a thread on Whistle Tone a while ago.
Thanks Mr Carter, Somehow I'd missed that thread. :eek:

I only joined at the tail end of Aug and I think I was still finding my way around.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have an Thunderer as it was what was recommended by the ref coach who was running my foundation course. I have 2 now after reffing a grand final last year but I won't use that one. Interesting to see people take 2 whistles on the pitch with them, it makes sense but the thought had never crossed my mind to be honest.
I only have 1 watch but it has several countdown timers and stopwatchs so I only need the 1. I have been looking for a whistle loop as at the moment I am just using a thin lanyard which I can wrap around my wrist, and I have been trying to find a whistle loop which has a sweatband on it as I do tend to work up quite a big sweat whilst running around.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I only have 1 watch but it has several countdown timers and stopwatchs so I only need the 1.

So what are you going to do when it stops mid match, or you get to the ground and find the battery has run out, or (as has happened to me) the strap breaks in the middle of a play? :nono:

Take two watches into the shower.....er match. Yes please. :biggrin:

Whistle straps.

Try the one made for the whistle.

Acme whistle lanyards 99p

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have an Thunderer as it was what was recommended by the ref coach who was running my foundation course. I have 2 now after reffing a grand final last year but I won't use that one. Interesting to see people take 2 whistles on the pitch with them, it makes sense but the thought had never crossed my mind to be honest.
I only have 1 watch but it has several countdown timers and stopwatchs so I only need the 1. I have been looking for a whistle loop as at the moment I am just using a thin lanyard which I can wrap around my wrist, and I have been trying to find a whistle loop which has a sweatband on it as I do tend to work up quite a big sweat whilst running around.

The Thunderer is best choice for pitch and frequency of sound (whistle of choice for British Railway guards for decades too).

I always have two whistles with me - in the past I have had a stuck pee (after whistle soaked in rain) and also have had a whistle clogged up with mud.

I always have two watches as well - one on each wrist. I have had a strap break (due to age and cold so went brittle), had a watch just stop and also arrived at a match to find battery has gone dead.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Interesting to see people take 2 whistles on the pitch with them, it makes sense but the thought had never crossed my mind to be honest.
In 33 years of playing and watching rugby, I don't remember seeing one fail - then this season I saw 2 fail in 2 weeks. :wow: The first was live on telly and the second was a local U15 game. In both cases, the ref just gave it another blow, looked at it daft before calmly reaching into their pocket for a reserve. :clap:

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
"Whistle Failure"- once is enough for anyone. They talk about the 'Long Walk' in cricket, it's an equally long walk to the changing room to get your spare whistle :eek: . After that I always carried a spare whistle (a smaller one, that was easier to carry in my pocket):eek: and always a second watch because too many buttons was always confusing in the heat of the moment:confused:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So what are you going to do when it stops mid match, or you get to the ground and find the battery has run out, or (as has happened to me) the strap breaks in the middle of a play? :nono:

Take two watches into the shower.....er match. Yes please. :biggrin:

Whistle straps.

Try the one made for the whistle.

Acme whistle lanyards 99p

Well for my normal watch I have just put in new batteries but for the Garmin watch I am getting you download the data to the computer via usb but that also charges the watch as it has a liquid ION battery (if memory serves me correctly) so I don't anticipate watch battery life to be a problem.
The 2 whistles is a good one and I will go out and get a new whistle tomorrow morning before a 7's tournament I am reffing.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
In 33 years of playing and watching rugby, I don't remember seeing one fail

happened to Wayne Barnes in a televised match a couple of seasons ago. he stopped the game by shouting "WHISTLE, WHISTLE, WHISTLE" at them until they complied. his TJ had the spare, and had to run it over.

regarding watches and pencils, i never used to carry more than one until my first society appointment. that was the first time than i needed both. since then, i've had a spare of each on me whenever reffing and a third of each in my society coat on the touchline. i've also carried spares when watching any of my club ELRA refs, in case their stuff breaks.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
I used to keep a spare whistle on the same lanyard as my normal whistle (I saw one of the football refs do this and thought it was a good idea).

But it was getting in the way a bit.

I tried keeping my spare in my pocket but was worried it'd fall out and I'd lose it.

And then one of our refs had his car keys stolen - taken, we think, from the changing rooms at my club!

So now I take my car keys onto the pitch with me. I've found that if I loop the lanyard of my spare whistle through them it forms the sort of tangle that it hard to get out of my shorts pocket and so isn't likely to fall out when running around.

Bit of a 'killing both birds with one stone' effect - I can keep valuables in the car and keep the car keys safe and I have a spare whistle!

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
do people not put all valuables in a sock and leave behind the bar any more? that's what i've done at both of the club's i've reffed at, and nobody thought it odd...

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
do people not put all valuables in a sock and leave behind the bar any more? that's what i've done at both of the club's i've reffed at, and nobody thought it odd...

I leave everything like my phone, wallet etc in the car. Single car key in my pocket. Our shorts have really deep pockets.

I did hear a story about a player who joned a club. Played for a couple of weeks. Then he came off injured next match. Showered, asked for the valuable bag................then legged it with the whole teams valuables.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes

Many clubs' bars are not manned during the whole match and so that may not be at all safe.

Also you're open to the "the ref/away side captain sent me to get his stuff" attack. (Well known by all the tea leaves around Northampton)

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I leave everything like my phone, wallet etc in the car. Single car key in my pocket. Our shorts have really deep pockets.
Leaving all valuables (wallet, mobile etc) in the boot of the car is probably the best idea if you think about it logically. Eg my car has a better alarm system than my house, and if the alarm goes off I can see the car from the pitch and get to it in 20 seconds flat. :wink:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
just this season I have had
- watch failure (battery) :-( I had to borrow one from a coach. Luckily it was at half time so no timekeeping issue just embarrassment
- boot failure (!) the sole split completely on my boot. I had to stop the game and change my shoes (luckily my trainers were pitch side)

most extraordinary hilarity from spectators, players and coaches.

Lenin1924

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Just ordered my Acme Thunderer - cant wait for the new season !