Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
PS Did you get the too big for your pocket YC & RC on your ELRA?

Yes I did, I use them as duvet covers on the kids beds.

I use the Ruccanor wallet as well, its good becasue the wallet is stiff making it easier to write on.

I adapted a score sheet by taking a rugby one and a soccer one and amalgamating them both in Microsoft Excel to include everythig I wanted.

If I can work out how I will attach it fo ranyone interested to download and print off.

Last edited:

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Speaking of the whistles with the English rose on them, I know Chris Picard was looking into getting whistles made up with the USA rugby logo on them, but I think he stopped because of the cost, and also because whistle choice is so particular.

Instead he ordered special coins, with the USA Rugby logo on one side (heads) and the New England Ref Soc logo on the other. These are fabulous looking things, and have been great for gifts on exchange etc. Gotta make sure I hold on to enough for my own use though, I've lost a couple already.

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Had a first this past weekend. Metro NY Division 1, NY-Manhattan RFC vs Union County (N.J.) RFC.

Refereeing in an absolute monsoon, to the point that my ACME Thunderer got waterlogged and the pea stopped working. So I switched to my incredibly obnoxious ACME Tornado for the second half.

It may be popular with the FIFA lads, but I've only used it twice before, both times in tournament settings to avoid clashing with a neighboring pitch. This time mine was the only match going on, and the players commented afterwards that it is certainly much easier to hear than the Thunderer, but that they much prefer the sound of Thunderer.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Looking at the voting for this thread, would the referee who uses a dog whistle please bark to make him/her self known?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
The dog whistle isn't for me, it's for my guide dog.

bcaulfield

Referees in America
Post Likes
As to whistle cleaning, I have heard that when the whistle has been soaked in water, it is possible to use a pair of thin nosed pliers to compress the cork pea for extraction and a good scrub. I mean, the great question has to be did they manufacture the whistle in two halves and wrap the pieces around the pea or did they insert the pea afterwards? If they got it in then it must come out!

Can't speak to the pea insertion issue. I boil my two Thunderers once a month or so and put them into the freezer. Supposedly the freezer part locks the moisture into the pea.

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have just been on the acme website and bought a couple of the 660s and a lanyard.

Used a Fox40 in the past, which was pretty good, but having used the Thunderer on the ELRA last weekend, I prefer the sound of it.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
having used the Thunderer on the ELRA last weekend, I prefer the sound of it.
Accept no substitutes! You can judge the quality of a sports shop by the whistle it stocks. A serious shop caters to serious refs.

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I am keeping my RFU issue Thunderer safely in it's packaging, it may be worth something one day, and I got stung on opening the packaging on my Star Wars toys in the past, I am not making that mistake again.

The ACME website was a bargain- 5 thunderers for £1.32 each.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I got stung on opening the packaging on my Star Wars toys in the past, I am not making that mistake again.
Apply that logic to your breakfast cereal and you'll starve!

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Why not an electronically generated whistle sound?

Should that parrot be watching, you could then ring up another tone instead of banishing it from the park. :clap:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Why not an electronically generated whistle sound?

Should that parrot be watching, you could then ring up another tone instead of banishing it from the park. :clap:

Chopper - which of the 99 available tones should I select ?

Bill Lee

Referees in England
Post Likes
Silly bugger.... chopper15.

The Thunderer every time, and always carry a spare. You only need to be flattened in the mud once...its not easy trying to get a noise of any sort out of a whistle full of mud & trying to stop play before it gets too far away from you.......It only happens once.

Apparently 93.33% of the poll go for the Thunderer.

PS clean with wife's tooth brush. it may not be just mud.

nealed

Referees in England
Post Likes
had op on mouth, with hole in roof of mouth now!! ouch
is there a whistle out there that requires very little blowing?
cant ref for a few weeks but when i do, the easier life is on the blowing the better.
have thunder x2, but does require quite a blow

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
had op on mouth, with hole in roof of mouth now!! ouch
is there a whistle out there that requires very little blowing?
cant ref for a few weeks but when i do, the easier life is on the blowing the better.
have thunder x2, but does require quite a blow

Acme website gives blow rates, from easiest effort to most effort. See below:

Blow Me!

nealed

Referees in England
Post Likes
Acme website gives blow rates, from easiest effort to most effort. See below:

Blow Me!

thanks thats helpful as it puts the thunderer 58 and 58.5 which i have as quite difficult to blow
right need to get easy blow even if sound not quite right
site really good as gives sound too

nealed

Referees in England
Post Likes
looks like thunderer 60.5 or 660
both quite high pitched, but to be honest ease of blow is the most important thing for me at the moment
anyone used either?

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Nealed - If you PM me with an address, I can willingly send you a new 60.5 courtesy of the Hampshire Society; we have been trying to get rid of two of these for years. Mind you, you and the players will tire very quickly of its very high pitched and annoying squeak which is not unlike a dog whistle.

nealed

Referees in England
Post Likes
Nealed - If you PM me with an address, I can willingly send you a new 60.5 courtesy of the Hampshire Society; we have been trying to get rid of two of these for years. Mind you, you and the players will tire very quickly of its very high pitched and annoying squeak which is not unlike a dog whistle.

thanks deeps
despite the annoying squeek i think the ease of blow is most important

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Just wondered what your choice of whistle ..... Oh, and do you take two with you onto the pitch?
In the last 2 months, I've seen 2 refs suffer duff whistles. One was in an Ospreys game on TV and the other was in my boys District game. In both cases, the refs just reached into their pocket and pulled out a spare.

We had a young ref over here from Sydney, Churchie, and he told me that all new referees in Australia had to learn how to play tunes on the whistle, as it were. .... I suspect he may have been having me on.
I'm not sure if he was winding you up Mr Whittaker. When I did my WRU Level 1 course, the ref in charge told us that good refs were expected to be able to play a tune on their whistle, to adjust the tone during the game. Sadly, he didn't tell us how to adjust the tone.

In fact all my whistle blowing sounds monotonous (only the volume changes) and I was thinking of starting a thread on how to get it right. The only reason I haven't, was because it may appear such a stupid question - and I've already exceeded my quota of stupid questions for this month. :eek:

Last edited: