white boots attention

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
So I have some lovely white boots, bought for me from someone who means an awful lot.

Wore them at a society training day, lots of tongue in cheek tuts and smiles, so I asked an assessor what he thought?
He said well you don't want to bring attention on yourself, so my reply?
Well why do I get a bright orange or pink shirt? The loudest whistle known to man and when I do my signals you want everyone in the ground to see them.
Oh fair point ;-)

Discuss......

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Bit like keeping the score really:pepper::pepper:will be frowned upon by anyone over 40 years of age (insert names here :smile: ) but if they make you go faster than black ones go for it

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If you think you need to draw attention to yourself, then perform accordingly and fly up to Group and Panel :biggrin:

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
The future is White:pepper:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
So I have some lovely white boots, bought for me from someone who means an awful lot.

Wore them at a society training day, lots of tongue in cheek tuts and smiles, so I asked an assessor what he thought?
Well why do I get a bright orange or pink shirt? The loudest whistle known to man and when I do my signals you want everyone in the ground to see them.
Oh fair point ;-)

Discuss......
I can't imagine that I would ever bother to comment, but it is true that all local referees wear the bright distinctive shirts, blow a loud whistle, and make dramatic signals. Since they don't all wear white boots, you are being different. Does it matter? You decide.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I've done allright being different !

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
I wear funny colored tennis shoes, bright blue and the other pair is florescent yellow, they help me go fast.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
After reffing up at Wharfedale in the yorkshire trophy (or whatever it's called) the only assessment I got back from two well known level 2 refs was lose the white boots! Lo and behold the next season I was on the development squad with blacks boots; so imagine what you could do with black boots!

Plus, we all know the only reason you're doing so well at the moment is because I left and they had to fill the void:holysheep:

Oh fair point ;-)

Discuss......

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I'm a black boot fan, but to be honest i've been looking for weeks now for some replacements for my Asics Leathal, whci aren't going to make it to the end of this season, but with no luck! :chin:

Good black boots are going to be a thing of the past very soon!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I wear funny colored tennis shoes, bright blue and the other pair is florescent yellow, they help me go fast.

Cody

I hope you get one of the Hampshire Exchange slots on 24th November - level 8 is at Winchester v London Exiles. I cannot wait to see our Assessor's report about your "coloured tennis shoes".

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't think coloured boots would really make you stand out in the average rugby game nowadays. Everyone's wearing them.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm a black boot fan, but to be honest i've been looking for weeks now for some replacements for my Asics Leathal, whci aren't going to make it to the end of this season, but with no luck! :chin:

Good black boots are going to be a thing of the past very soon!

Memo sent to appointed Assassin (oooops Assessor) to pay attention to referees footwear at Portsmouth on 29th September :biggrin:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Memo sent to appointed Assassin (oooops Assessor) to pay attention to referees footwear at Portsmouth on 29th September :biggrin:

Oh don't worry, the current ones will last that long :wink:

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
Cody

I hope you get one of the Hampshire Exchange slots on 24th November - level 8 is at Winchester v London Exiles. I cannot wait to see our Assessor's report about your "coloured tennis shoes".

They're only for running, I'd never wear them to a game, to a tourney I wear them throughout the day, but not to games, I have proper dress shoes for that.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I've done allright being different !

Always an exception that proves the rule, and your "individualistic" traits are well known, even to those of us who have never met you !

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Always an exception that proves the rule, and your "individualistic" traits are well known, even to those of us who have never met you !

Isn't perception interesting! This will be my 41st season in the game and the 18th as a referee, I was very lucky that as a player I played every position (not lock or 8) for the first team at lvl 7, Been at the same club all that time and get great great pleasure from this great game of ours... "individualistic" well maybe but it has worked for me! Don't try to be something you ain't as one top class ref said to me many years ago, anyway back to the subject, With all the very good referee's we have in the country you have to have a "quirk" that helps players remember you ( hopefully a good one) I used to be known as "Mr Advantage" at lvl 5 and 6 (wow 14/15 years ago) Players knew that when I was on the park that they didn't stop untill they heard the whistle! If white boots works for you then go for it but be aware it could be your downfall as well!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

BTW - it was meant as a compliment and a call for rising referees to stand out both in performance as well as appearance. I am seeing more young referees coming through Feds to Group with their own style and approach (Mr White's influence I suspect).

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
BTW - it was meant as a compliment and a call for rising referees to stand out both in performance as well as appearance. I am seeing more young referees coming through Feds to Group with their own style and approach (Mr White's influence I suspect).

I didn't take it any other way kind sir:smile:

Last edited:

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
If you think you need to draw attention to yourself, then perform accordingly and fly up to Group and Panel :biggrin:

I know a premiership ref, who at lower levels used to dish out red cards, so he was watched more often ;)