Women or Ladies

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Moved these posts to a new thread to stop the original thread going off topic.

Last edited:

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I have my first double weekend.
Have a Counties 4 match on Saturday and then a low level ladies game on Sunday. Have only watched a ladies game so will be interesting to try to referee it. Really looking forward to it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have my first double weekend.
Have a Counties 4 match on Saturday and then a low level ladies game on Sunday. Have only watched a ladies game so will be interesting to try to referee it. Really looking forward to it.
good luck ! but one thing: it's women's game.

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
But both sides have ladies after their club side. It all gets too confusing too quickly

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It all gets too confusing too quickly
always happy to assist :)

the game is now referred to as women's rugby or indeed just 'rugby'
some teams are indeed named 'Ladies' and this is no big deal - but does tend to reflect the time they started - and there is a trend to rename.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It might be called Womens' rugby, but you can't continue to call the players Women, it just doesn't work.

Are we ready to kick off ladies? v Are we ready to kick off women?

Basically the RFU have stated that not all women are ladies :oops:

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Last edited:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
3 way vets tournament Friday night, and Horden Vs Medicals on Saturday which is my first L7 league game - assuming an advisor to boot

Assume my U16s or Colts on Sunday to kill me off 🤦‍♂️

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
3 way vets tournament Friday night, and Horden Vs Medicals on Saturday which is my first L7 league game - assuming an advisor to boot

Assume my U16s or Colts on Sunday to kill me off 🤦‍♂️
Busy weekend! GLHF

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
good luck ! but one thing: it's women's game.
sometimes when I read your posts I don't know if you're the Chief of Fun Police, the Minister of Political Correctness, RFU Director of Rugby's Moral Compass or just taking the p!ss? what hat are you wearing this time? :unsure:😁

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am large, I contain multitudes :)

That one just grates on me .. in sport I can think of only Wimbledon tennis and grassroots rugby that still habitually use the "ladies" tag. .. the world has moved on

(Eg I am right now listening to an item on the Today programme about "women's football")

Doc said it was his first ever women's game, so what better time to cast the L word out of his mind :)

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Without exception all of the female players I speak to couldn't care less.
It only seems to be men that get their knickers in a twist over this.

Isn't there a phrase for someone who get indignant on someone else's behalf?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Without exception all of the female players I speak to couldn't care less.
It only seems to be men that get their knickers in a twist over this.

Isn't there a phrase for someone who get indignant on someone else's behalf?
Phil I know you have thought about this, and using the word 'Ladies' is deliberate for you, and is part of the image you want to convey when you turn up to referee. So go for it. It's hardly the end of the world.

Hopefully when other people pause think about it they'll refer to women's rugby, as the RFU do.

Aside: I am pleased you referred in your post to 'female players' rather than 'ladies' so perhaps your usage is coming up to date?
(Or perhaps, in that post, you wanted to indicate your respect for their opinon, and naturally chose 'female players' without thinking as it's a more respectful usage in that sentence than 'ladies' would have been?)

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
(Or perhaps, in that post, you wanted to indicate your respect for their opinon, and naturally chose 'female players' without thinking as it's a more respectful usage in that sentence than 'ladies' would have been?)

Educate me, "who's" opinion, why is it the right one, and indeed why is "women" more respectful than "ladies" - we have (currently) a Premiership, Social adults, U18, U16, and u14 squads at our club that are regularly referred to (by their own section heads and committee representatives) as "ladies", "women' and "girls" interchangeably with no negative reaction and there has never been a conversation about changing usage, terminology or anything similar - they have been asked if they have a preference?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just done a quick poll of the "Womens" championship.

14 teams use the term Women.
40 teams use the term Ladies.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Educate me, "who's" opinion, why is it the right one, and indeed why is "women" more respectful than "ladies" - we have (currently) a Premiership, Social adults, U18, U16, and u14 squads at our club that are regularly referred to (by their own section heads and committee representatives) as "ladies", "women' and "girls" interchangeably with no negative reaction and there has never been a conversation about changing usage, terminology or anything similar - they have been asked if they have a preference?
honeslty flish - you could do your own research ! Google is your friend,

But here's some links

Just for fun - asked ChatGPT (the AI engine in the news) about it

which is better in sport : women or ladies

Neither "women" nor "ladies" is inherently better in sports. Both terms can be used to refer to female athletes, and what's most important is their skill, talent, and dedication to their sport, not the specific term used to describe them.

It's worth noting, however, that the terms "women" and "ladies" can have slightly different connotations depending on the context and cultural norms. "Women" is a more general term that is commonly used to refer to adult female athletes, while "ladies" can sometimes be associated with more traditional or conservative values. Ultimately, though, the most important thing is to use whichever term the athlete prefers and feels comfortable with.

Last edited:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
honeslty flish - you could do your own research ! Google is your friend,

But here's some links

Just for fun - asked ChatGPT (the AI engine in the news) about it

Ok, so it's a case of " .... the most important thing is to use whichever term the athlete prefers and feels comfortable with" not a case of right or wrong, just being respectful to individuals, and other people (as appears to the norm) getting offended on behalf of others (who in my anecdotal case are not offended)?

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Or… we could just ask at the PMB “What’s your preference for collective noun - guys, girls, ladies, women, players…?”

You‘ll sometimes get a pause/double-take while they process, then they let you know. “Women” and “Players“ seem to be pretty popular round here.

Maybe anyone reffing women/ladies this weekend could ask and let us all know on Monday what was the most popular term?