Your decision ?

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Watch this play from today's game. What do you give ?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
It happens a bit fast, but it looks like Blue slapped the ball off the field.

If that's correct, then at least a PK to Reds 5m out and in line with where the offender was standing. If he happened to be near the touch line, then at least 15m in.

Given that Red would probably have scored, I'd say a Penalty Try as well.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Looking at the match reports Reds did not score, so I guess the ref saw nothing wrong and gave the drop out.

I was going clear penalty and a probable score - PT and thinking about a card.

Camquin

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
PK 5m and YC for the very guilty looking blue player who knocked the ball dead.

Maybe PT but red had a second blue player on his shoulder.

SL - has the snow gone in Guernsey now ?

Andrew1974

Referees in England
Post Likes
Whilst I definately would not complain if a PT was given, I think I would have given the same as the ref.

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
PT for mine - what was the call?

Ref saw nothing and as it was half time blew for the half. Couldn't believe it when I saw it and had to review it again to see if I'd seen it wrong. What I don't really understand is not that the ref missed it, but that the player did it. Surely they know the rules well enough ?

Guernsey getting back to normal, although Guernsey vs Jersey 2nd's called off today due to back log in flights and lack of training.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
5m PK, & YC

Not 'probable enough' in my mind for a PT, but then I have watched it thrice !

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
Stupid to throw the ball out but Blue could have easily caught it and ran it out or grounded it. No need for a PT and I'd be doubtful for a YC (don't know temperament of the game).

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Without reading the other comments so I can give my own opinion.

Penalty Try, no doubt at all. He has deliberately knocked the ball dead in goal and there was a Reds player right there who would probably have scored. Outrageous that the TMO wasn't used.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I only saw the highlights of the match but when I saw that this is how the first half ended, I thought "WTF? Where's the PK & YC? and why didn't the ref stop to firstly consult with AR (what was he looking at by the way?) and then the TMO?"
Bet Ewen McKenzie mentions this howler somewhere this week. Was Angus Gardiner the ref and who was the AR on the near side?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
PK & YC. Having studied the slomo, my only reservation about a PT would be that the ball might have gone dead before it could be grounded, but at full speed I thought PT.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Knocking the ball dead in goal is foul play?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Knocking the ball dead in goal is foul play?
[LAWS]Law 10.2 (c) Throwing into touch. A player must not intentionally knock, place, push or throw the ball with his arm or hand into touch, touch-in-goal, or over the dead ball line.
Sanction: Penalty kick on the 15-metre line if the offence is between the 15-metre line and the touchline, or, at the place of infringement if the offence occured elsewhere in the field of play, or, 5 metres from the goal line and at least 15 metres from the touchline if the infringement occured in in-goal.
A penalty try must be awarded if the offence prevents a try that would probably otherwise have been scored.

[/LAWS]

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
No need for a PT
Presumably you didn't think Red 12, being a metre from the ball, could have scored if Blue player had not been there?

and I'd be doubtful for a YC (don't know temperament of the game).
What has temperament got to do with it? You'd be hard pressed to find a redder bit of the red zone, and the Blue player committed a cynical and deliberate offence to snuff out a promising attack in that zone. Nailed on certain YC, even if the PT was give (which I think it should have been).

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
Presumably you didn't think Red 12, being a metre from the ball, could have scored if Blue player had not been there?

What has temperament got to do with it? You'd be hard pressed to find a redder bit of the red zone, and the Blue player committed a cynical and deliberate offence to snuff out a promising attack in that zone. Nailed on certain YC, even if the PT was give (which I think it should have been).

Unlike a high tackle, the Blue player was not affecting the Red player. Blue had options to make the ball dead and picked a poor one. If you want to say it wasn't probable for Blue to catch the ball and ground it, how can you say it would have been probable for Red to do it?