Recent content by RussRef

1. R

NZ v Ireland Test 2 - Red card situation with Savea

All: I spent considerable time trying to sort through what happened in the second test, based on my viewing of the match, media reports and my trusty laws book. Here is my (admittedly lengthy) analysis. I'd appreciate any thoughts: First, here is what happened and my humble analysis: Minute...
  2. R

Strange-Looking Offsides in Open Play

How would you call this? Blue 15 kicks ahead, with most of his team ahead of him. Ball's trajectory is low and flat. Red 4, positioned 15 m in front of Blue 15, sticks a hand out and touches the ball without changing its flight much. (I think, "Ball not charged but ball played.") Ball...
  3. R

NZ v. England 2nd Test

Just finished watching the match. Can someone explain to me the very strange exchange between Peyper and Ayoub following the possible try by Mike Brown? First, Peyper asks (I think, but it's not entirely clear), "Any reason why I can't award the try?" Why is that the right question? Either...
  4. R

Offside Following Chargedown

Watched a videotaped match last night and saw a much better ref than I get something wrong, I think. Here's the scenario: 1. Red 10 kicks forward following recycle from ruck. 2. Blue 7 charges kick down. 3. Ball careens back against Red 10's body, then reverses direction back downfield as...
  5. R

In Touch or Not?

I know there are older threads on this, but I'm interested in how you would call this: Blue kicks ahead toward touchline. Ball passes the plane into touch on the full. Before it lands, Red 15 -- standing with both feet in FOP -- leaps toward touchline and, while still airborne, bats ball...
  6. R

Tackle just outside of in-goal

How would you call this: Having broken away, Red 12 is tackled from behind by Blue 7 just outside of Blue's in-goal. Although the tackle definitely occurs in the field of play, both players slide in goal, with Blue 7 winding up underneath Red 12 and preventing Red 12 from grounding the ball...
  7. R

Nagging Question

Red 5 carries the ball into contact, where's he's wrapped up by Blue 3. Blue players, but no Red players, arrive shortly thereafter. Red 5, trying to take the ball to ground, stops supporting his own weight with his feet but does fall to the ground because Blue 3 is holding him (and the ball)...
  8. R

Ruck is Over?

Strange things happen at my matches. Red and Blue player join over ball on the ground. I call ruck. No one joins. Before the ruck moves in either direction, and with the ball lying between them, Red player pushes Blue player away, reaches down and picks up the ball. Penalty or play on?
  9. R

Player Chatter

Fairly sure I handled this more or less correctly, but would appreciate any other pointers you might have. 1. Fairly low-level men's game on Saturday between two teams that are evenly matched. 2. Captain's briefing included, as usual, warning that questioning one-off calls is not productive...
  10. R

Ref # 441

Here's the text: "Blue has the ball and a maul forms. Blue #5, the ball-carrier, goes to ground and makes the ball immediately available. Blue drives forward, but the ball is held up and not playable. What do you do?" The correct answer is: C, Scrum to Blue, citing 17.5 & 16 Definition &...
  11. R

10-Meter Law

Pre-season studying has raised two questions. Appreciate any help. 1. Here's the text of 11.4 (f): The 10-metre Law does not apply when a player kicks the ball, and an opponent charges down the kick, and a team-mate of the kicker who was in front of the imaginary 10-metre line across the...
  12. R

Questionable New Kit for Fall Season

So I arrived home yesterday to find a package bearing my society's new kit for this season. Is it just me, or do I risk becoming a laughingstock if I actually wear this? Have at it, gents.
  13. R

Didn't Richie carry it back?

At the 34th minute of the NZ-AU match, McCaw catches the restart well outside NZ's 22, is wrapped up and driven back and as he's brought to ground he reaches over the 22 line to lay the ball down. I think this captures the situation...
  14. R

Do the Match Commentators Know the Laws??

I have a question for those of you in the major rugby-playing countries: why are the match commentators so ignorant of the laws? To cite a recent example, I was watching the Super 15 Champtionship the other day and was amused to hear the commentary when Joubert went to the TMO for help on...
  15. R

Pre-Match Routine

There are other threads about this, but with a new season coming in the US, the persistent problems of non-standard pitches, and a new engagement sequence, I'd appreciate suggestions on how I plan to handle pre-match discussions with both teams. 1. Inspect the pitch. More times than not...