Search results

1. I

Ball Carrier Releasing Ball

Simple tackle in broken play where the ball carrier is brought down to a knee by the tackler. The tackler releases correctly, no problems thus far. The ball carrier is a big second rower who goes to his knee with the ball palmed in one hand, pressing the ball to the ground and effectively...
  2. I

TMO Decision: Chiefs vs Crusaders

Watching the game between the Crusaders and Chiefs and the commendators have spent a lot of time talking about a decision by Steve Walsh (ref) and Bryce Lawrence (TMO) Situation as follows: Red player dives for the line and is stopped short and held by a black player. 1st arriving player is a...
  3. I

International Defence Rugby Competition 2011

Hi All, We've finished all the pool games and seen some fantastic rugby. Highlights are found at www.youtube.com/user/IDRC2011. The Quarter Finals will be on Thursday at TG Millner Field, Eastwood and will feature the following games. British Army vs ACT Barbarians Royal Navy vs Samoa Police...
  4. I

Article: International Defence Rugby Challenge 2011

You can view the page at http://www.rugbyrefs.com/content.php?206-International-Defence-Rugby-Challenge-2011
  5. I

International Defence Rugby Challenge 2011

Ladies and Gentlemen, The IDRC 2011 organisers have asked me to spread the word regarding the tournament via social media, so I was hoping you could help me spread the word. I was also hoping Robbie would forgive me for advertising??? Website - http://www.idrc2011.com Twitter -...
  6. I

Referee Rating by Iron_Lung - Angus Gardner - Australian Barbarians v Canada

Referee RatingWhich Referee are you rating? Angus Gardner What game were they refereeing? Australian Barbarians v Canada (Friendly) Did you support one of the teams playing? Yes Rate the referees OFFSIDE management 6 Rate the referees ADVANTAGE application. 4 Rate the referees management...
  7. I

Lawyers

It makes you wonder when a bottom feeding ambulance chaser can start talking along these lines! What's next? Suing a player for knocking on...
  8. I

Throw in taken incorrectly

To begin this thread let us open our hymnals to Law 19.7 - Incorrect Throw In, and address clause (b): (b) The throw-in at the lineout must be taken without delay and without pretending to throw. The question then becomes what defines "pretending to throw". I had a situation last game where...
  9. I

GAGR Breakdown Analysis - NZ vs Aus

So I guess I must be missing something here. The world seems to be calling for change again... http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/video-part-2-tri-nations-breakdowns/ Analysis by Green and Gold Rugby showing the issues at the breakdown caused by both the Wallabies and the All Blacks. To be...
  10. I

Balls of Steel

For those of you that haven't seen this it's worth a look. Comedy gold from a couple of blokes who've got big brass ones! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZB9TuTJ9UY&feature=related
  11. I

Pick and Drive

Question for the law learned among us, to do with a situation resulting form tight forward play in and around the ruck. Red attacking, blue makes a tackle and tackler rolls to the defending side of the with both tackled player and tackler lying parallel with the goal lines. Players drive in...
  12. I

Releasing the Ball Carrier

I think this one has been done already but wanted some interpretations: Scenario 1: Defending player tackles high and attempts to rip the ball free. Maul forms around them. Ball carrier gets his knee to the ground. In my interpretation, as the maul has formed, ball carrier must release but...
  13. I

Sweet Mother of Myths!

Brumbies vs Chiefs, 63 Minutes in. The esteemed J. Kaplan refereeing the game. FK to brumbies after Chiefs shenanigans at the scrum, TH decides to have a bleat and JK marches him the 10. Josh Valentine, the Brumbies half, follows very closely and the instant JK makes the mark he taps and...
  14. I

Feet or Hands?

I've noticed a lot of players starting to get ready in close to the ruck in a similar position to a sprinter or NFL lineman. Crouched down with a hand on the deck, ready to charge at the attacking player, particularly a forward in close. Law 16.5, Offside at the Ruck, states "If a player who...
  15. I

Scrum Move to the No 7?

Ok, possibly a topical question, but it may be sour grapes as the Wallabies just lost :) The AB's second last try, AB scrum gets a great push on. McCaw unbinds and goes lateral, receiving a pass from the No 8 to run in and score. My question, if the No 8 unbinds to take the ball out of the...
  16. I

Line Out "Management"

Was watching South Africa vs Wallabies last night and noticed Wayne Barnes' approach to the management of the lineout. At least twice (maybe more), he pulled the lineout after the throw to get a re-throw and manage an issue that had occurred during the formation of the original line-out. The...