always remember your coin ...

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Football referee to do RPS in solidarity ..
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46229096

Another soccer own goal here. officialdom gone mad.

Whoever complained, needed to be given a 'not interested' message from the game, whatever next .....

ps.. Surprised soccer refs aren't permitted to carry a tazer !

pps, reminds me of a U10's festival a few years back , where the kick off was decided with an arm wrestle by the coaches, a lighthearted way to get the game underway - enjoyed by most watchers

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The complainant? From the above article: "After the match, FA women’s refereeing manager Joanna Stimpson spoke to The Times, and branded his decision “very unprofessional” and “a moment of madness.” " So problably perceiving a slight on the women's game.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Correctly perceiving a slight on the game in front of him.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Tosh. A simple forgetting of the coin, could happen to any of us (and has to a lot). Ref thought on his feet and resolved the situation quickly and they got on with the game. Now a jobsworth wants to go on a power trip. Pathetic!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
This isn't about forgetting a coin, which could happen to anyone

It's about making captains play rock paper scissors .. which is an error of judgement. He should have gone and fetched his coin

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
CR, you seem to be the only person who thinks the sanction was ok.

On another note I once left the three match balls in my changing room, which was then locked up. :redface:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

On another note I once left the three match balls in my changing room, which was then locked up. :redface:

No I think the sanction was too harsh .

It should have been a reprimand . . .

When you forgot the balls I am sure you fessed up, and made sure they were retreived, I bet you didn't say : it's not important we will play with the warm up balls?

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
No I think the sanction was too harsh .

It should have been a reprimand . . .

When you forgot the balls I am sure you fessed up, and made sure they were retreived, I bet you didn't say : it's not important we will play with the warm up balls?

Funnily enough the lesson I learnt was never to take responsibility for the match balls. Not my job thanks.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

I once left the referee locked in the changing room

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I left my cards/wallet in the changing room a few weeks ago.:redface:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
When I leave the changing room I now take everything I need with me, even if I am planning to go back in later .. you never know when someone will helpfully lock the room

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The complainant? From the above article: "After the match, FA women’s refereeing manager Joanna Stimpson spoke to The Times, and branded his decision “very unprofessional” and “a moment of madness.” " So problably perceiving a slight on the women's game.

I wonder who butters Joanna's bread? If she is a referee, nothing like getting chucked under the bus by one of your own. :sad:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I wonder who butters Joanna's bread? If she is a referee, nothing like getting chucked under the bus by one of your own. :sad:

I have not seen anything to suggest she was the complainamt, she was commenting on the case.

No doubt someone who was present complained

Let's not forget the referee himself accepted that it was unprofessional, as does his advisers (they are appealing the sanction, which was harsh)

It did seem an odd thing for a referee manager to say, I tracked down the Times article ..

Note that it was Phil Neville who said it was a moment of madness and very unprofessional, not Stimpson

Joanna Stimpson merely said she was disappointed

Joanna Stimpson, the FA women’s refereeing manager, can offer no excuses for the rock, paper, scissors debacle. “Disappointed is probably the word I’d use,” Stimpson says.

Neville has said poor refereeing is his greatest concern about next year’s World Cup

Neville has said poor refereeing is his greatest concern about next year’s World Cup
NATHAN STIRK/GETTY IMAGES
“The referee forgot his coin and in that moment, in a TV game, he was really pushed for time, it was a moment of madness. He obviously thought it was the right thing to do, he probably walked away, or the second afterwards, thought it wasn’t the right thing to do.

“It’s not defendable. He should have been more prepared, he should have had a coin but he didn’t. It was disappointing, it’s not appropriate, it’s very unprofessional.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The laws of the game state you toss a coin. I can’t think it’s something we are going to ignore. He wasn’t taking the mick out of the game, it was just a really poor decision.”

Looking forward to seeing you reverse ferreting on JS and condemning PN !

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/are-male-referees-too-lenient-with-female-footballers-6h6mf0t9h

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
For Nevillie it is just a tool in his "Whingefest" aginst officials. I'd take his comments with a pinch of salt.

The ref accepting it? Well yes forgetting your coin is "unprofessional". Finding a quick solution is not.

THe ref accepting the charge but contesting the punishment? Well what a surprise! Just like a player who says sorry, wears a nice suit and brings the "good" bickies to the hearing because they will probably get a "low end" ban if they do. We can assume, with a fair degree of certainty, his "plea" is just politics.

God help this ref manager and the Womans FA if they ever have something really serious to deal with. Football cant deal with the ref abuse the violent appealing wtc. But hey let's hand tis poor sod out to dry.

Someone's got their values all wrong.

Simply sokution, and I bet it happened !

Assessor (post game debrief): "that was a bit dumb forgeting your coin"

Ref: "Yep. Felt like a pillock. Still RPS seemed to work ok."

Assesor: "It did but best not make a habit of it."

REf: "Agreed."

Assesor: "Right, how do you feel the game went? "

CASE CLOSED!

Miserable git's complaint: " Disgusting, Rant Rant Rant Daily Mail Rant!!!!!"

Women's FA: " Thanks for contacting us t obring this to our attention. The matter was raised in the referee's debrief and dealt with appropriately." Optional but best avioded PS: "GET A LIFE LOSER"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
You still don't get it. (Or perhaps you do but are misrepresenting it ?)
He isn't being punished for forgetting his coin, it's for making the players play RPS

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I get it perfectly! Note this bit: "Well yes forgetting your coin is "unprofessional". Finding a quick solution is not."

The only "issue" is the lack of preparation. Something we have all done. Double and tripple check you have everything. That's it move on.

The RPS "issue" is tosh. complete and utter codswallop. He's being punnished because some people have no sense of prespective.

I am of the opinion that, the Women's FA and Mr Richard Cranium, the prat that complained, need a comon sense transplant.

I hope that clarifies things for you.

Last edited: