always remember your coin ...

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes, it does , you don't get it !
It's the opposite to what you said .

Forgetting his coin was a mistake, that could happen to anyone (we have all forgotten stuff)

What was unprofessional was what happened next .. making the captains play RPS

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
That's where we disagree.

I understand that some think RPS was unprofessional.

I do not agree.

RPS was a bit if quick thinking to resolve the situation. WELL DONE REF!

Sorry that you can't understand that I disagree with you. But there we go. Richard Craniumand the rest of the jobsworths acted IN MY OPINION as real bellends. THere we go I don't think #i can be clearer than that!

Now we've done this to death. I'm out.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm wary to tread in here, but...

This is the top tier of domestic Women's Football, a game that still struggles to get taken seriously. It's an issue that a lot of women playing what have traditionally been seen as "men's" sports face. We still have referees over here who patronize women players, insist on coaching them despite the fact that they are National D1 Final Four and better players than he a referee, and make "safety" based decisions that don't apply to the men's games they do.

The dynamic, therefore, is different when you have a male referee doing the top tier women's games. Do I think the referee is sexist? No. Is there risk that blowing this off as a simple accident and no biggie could look like demeaning the women's game? Yes.

No win situation for any of them.

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm wary to tread in here, but...

This is the top tier of domestic Women's Football, a game that still struggles to get taken seriously. It's an issue that a lot of women playing what have traditionally been seen as "men's" sports face. We still have referees over here who patronize women players, insist on coaching them despite the fact that they are National D1 Final Four and better players than he a referee, and make "safety" based decisions that don't apply to the men's games they do.

The dynamic, therefore, is different when you have a male referee doing the top tier women's games. Do I think the referee is sexist? No. Is there risk that blowing this off as a simple accident and no biggie could look like demeaning the women's game? Yes.

No win situation for any of them.

Maybe next time they should have a Twerking competition ? :rc:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world...-awkward-moment-with-first-ever-female-winner

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Yes, it does , you don't get it !
It's the opposite to what you said .

Forgetting his coin was a mistake, that could happen to anyone (we have all forgotten stuff)

What was unprofessional was what happened next .. making the captains play RPS
I don't really agree. RPS is fine on a one off occasion. Forgetting the coin is the greater sin.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't really agree. RPS is fine on a one off occasion. Forgetting the coin is the greater sin.

No, it was the RPS .. Simon's post 63 explains it perfectly

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
here's the bit that gets me.

Let's say its a women's 7s game in Dubai - New Zealand v USA - and Rasta is the ref. Rasta forgets his coin and does RPS.

Would we expect a public response from Paddy along the lines of:

Paddy O'Brien told The Times that the Rasivhenge's mistake was "a moment of madness".

He added: "The referee forgot his coin and in that moment, in a TV game, he was really pushed for time.

"He should have been more prepared, he should have had a coin. It was disappointing, it's not appropriate, it's very unprofessional."

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes

Let's say its a women's 7s game in Dubai - New Zealand v USA - and Rasta is the ref. Rasta forgets his coin and does RPS.

Paddy O'Brien told The Times that the Rasivhenge's mistake was "a moment of madness".

He added: "The referee forgot his coin and in that moment, in a TV game, he was really pushed for time.

"He should have been more prepared, he should have had a coin. It was disappointing, it's not appropriate, it's very unprofessional."
I would expect not.

In my view any referee manager who was once a referee should to bat any questions away with a bit of levity. Then in private he would have a quiet word with the ref concerned.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Given Paddy has hung referees out to dry previously, yes I can see that happening.

As I said earlier (and as Crossref reiterated) this isn't just about the mechanics of forgetting the coin. It's about a wider set of dynamics.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Any referee with common sense would understand that RPS was completely inappropriate in that situation and would borrow or fetch a coin , and the whole story would be a self deprecating anecdote the ref could tell at his own expense .. how he forgot his coun and made himself look foolish (rather tjan making the captains look foolish)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Any referee with common sense would understand that RPS was completely inappropriate in that situation and would borrow or fetch a coin , and the whole story would be a self deprecating anecdote the ref could tell at his own expense .. how he forgot his coun and made himself look foolish (rather tjan making the captains look foolish)

Hmmm passive aggressive statement. Anyone who disagrees with you on this has no common sense? :chin:
You have your opinion on this, others have their own. Doesn't mean they are wrong.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Every post is just someones opinion, isn't it ?

But yes, my opinion is that common sense would tell you it's not appropriate to play RPS in a high profile women's game on TV, and common sense is to borrow a coin

So you really disagree ?

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Every post is just someones opinion, isn't it ?

But yes, my opinion is that common sense would tell you it's not appropriate to play RPS in a high profile women's game on TV, and common sense is to borrow a coin

So you really disagree ?

I think the problem with your approach is when you write "any ref with common sense" agrees with me, and if you don't then you lack common sense.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think the problem with your approach is when you write "any ref with common sense" agrees with me, and if you don't then you lack common sense.

I lack common sense.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Well, if you make the captains in high profile TV game play RPS because you forgot your coin , I would say that you do lack common sense. Yes. Common sense is to borrow a coin

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As I said earlier (and as Crossref reiterated) this isn't just about the mechanics of forgetting the coin. It's about a wider set of dynamics.

Indeed. Because the referee manager was non-male, I wonder if she felt the need to express such outrage. You know, just to show the sisterhood that she had a pair.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Well, if you make the captains in high profile TV game play RPS because you forgot your coin , I would say that you do lack common sense. Yes. Common sense is to borrow a coin

See, I would think improvising a quick solution, would also qualify as common sense. But we disagree, so its not as "common" as either of us would hope/wish.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

It was PHIL NEVILLE who said all that , not the referee manager .. as my post 57 above

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Indeed. Because the referee manager was non-male, I wonder if she felt the need to express such outrage. You know, just to show the sisterhood that she had a pair.

The referee manager Joanna Stimpson merely said ahe was disappointed.

It was Phil Neville who went further with the mome t of madneas stuff. Phil Neville gets the issues

See#57

Some stereotyping on your behalf ? You owe her an apology :)

and nealty demonstrate that you don't get the issue

Last edited: