always remember your coin ...

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The referee manager Joanna Stimpson merely said ahe was disappointed.

It was Phil Neville who went further with the mome t of madneas stuff. Phil Neville gets the issues

See#57

Some stereotyping on your behalf ? You owe her an apology :)

and nealty demonstrate that you don't get the issue

I can only see Anthony Chapman's article in the Sun which is unequivocal. I dont subscribe to the Times so I can't read your attachment in #57.

Certainly, if the Sun has it wrong, then I will form a different opinion.

The BBC attributes the comments to the referee manager too

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46202509

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Does that actually make any difference? I'm interested.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The point is, do you read that quote and think - she is a woman , she is growing a pair for the sisterhood

Or do you read that quote and think - she is a high level referee manager that seems a very unlikely thing for her to say.

I traced it back.

Did that referee think, subconsciously or explicitly - it's just a woman's game, no Biggie, I will make them play RPS

Last edited:

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
There has been some press speculation that the ref has previous with RPS, and I understand that although he originally appealed the sanction, he has since withdrawn his appeal.

This made it on to the BBC TV satirical news quiz Have I Got News For You, so not entirely sure the whole incident paints anyone in a good light, except for the captains of the teams who just go on with what the ref asked.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
crossref, do me a favour please and copy & paste this article. I can't read it because I don't have a subscription. I've done a google on Phil Neville and can't find any other attribution to him on the RPS incident.

I pasted it in poat #57

- The repetition in rhe middle of the quote is a photo caption
- it was my BOLD
- tbh I could see how the BBC and the sun attributed the wholw quote to Stimpson, in a quick glance at rhe Times article it was an easy mistake to make .
- except that the journaliat should stop and think .. did she really say that ?? And them look again

So far as I can tell EVERY media report on the incident is sourced feom that Times article originally

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Phil Neville has not bathed himself in glory with some of his comments in the past. Not sure he and common sense are well acquainted.

Probably sees this as a chance to ingratiate him self with the "right people". Not sure that Neville "gets" anything.