always remember your coin ...

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's hard to believe that this is a serious story. Suspending a referee for using an alternative method to a coin toss? That's making a mountain out of a molehill.

Why does it matter? Was a fair method used to determine who kicks off / the direction of play? Yes.

I'll often not use a coin, but rather just get a player to choose what hand the whistle is in, or to 'rock off' like this referee did. Crazy.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Why does it matter? Was a fair method used to determine who kicks off / the direction of play? Yes.

I'll often not use a coin, but rather just get a player to choose what hand the whistle is in, or to 'rock off' like this referee did. Crazy.

I think the clue is here

.Manchester City’s Steph Houghton, who also captains England, and Reading’s Kirsty Pearce were made to participate in the children’s game

And here from BBC report
.FA women's refereeing manager Joanna Stimpson told The Times that the McNamara's mistake was "a moment of madness".

She added: "The referee forgot his coin and in that moment, in a TV game, he was really pushed for time.

"He should have been more prepared, he should have had a coin. It was disappointing, it's not appropriate, it's very unprofessional."

.. ie acting outside the laws and beyond his powers he forced two players to participate in something childish.
(Gosh, it reminds me strangely of some thing)

I completely understand why the FA took that view , and wanted to reprimand him for that

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Don't Panic.... at least he didn't forget his towel!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I completely understand why the FA took that view , and wanted to reprimand him for that

I can see that the FA refs bosses/mentors might want to have a little chat etc.

But suspended for three weeks? FFS. How does that help anybody?

Or are the FA saying their refs are so stupid it takes three weeks of intensive study and retraining for them to learn to remember to always carry a coin? Because I cant think of a single reason why it would take three weeks to remind this guy of that!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Its NOT for forgetting his coin

It's for making two captains play a childish game.
An error of judgement

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
So its takes three weeks for retraining as to what game/method to use instead then?

Obvious.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes the suspension is harsh
But it's a salutory lesson , not for retraining

The lesson for everyone is not : remember your coin (we knew that)

The lesson is : dont make the captains play RPS, or any other silly game. Go and fetch a coin.

Last edited:

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
It is for forgetting your coin when on TV.
I am sure the response woul dhave been different if he had he done it for Old Codgers v Dog & Duck in a Sunday league

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It is for forgetting your coin when on TV.
I am sure the response woul dhave been different if he had he done it for Old Codgers v Dog & Duck in a Sunday league

NO!!

it's for making the captains play RPS !

If he had instead borrowed a coin, or gone and fetched a coin does anyone think we would be reading about it now, and him suspended ?

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I dunno CR.

I'm frankly amazed we are reading about it because of RPS.

So to ARs not carry coins "just in case" so a ref forgetting his/hers can just get one rather than resort of alleged childish games ? Or have the FA themselves never considered this potential scenario and given guidelines for it? ie team of four all carry coins just in case #1 forgets his?

seems as likely to be a systemic failure as a brain fart by the guy in the middle.

Three week suspesion is stupidly and ridiculously harsh for what shoud be no more than a finger wag (and FA self reflection).

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Maybe it's common sense that RPS is not appropriate

The last time I forgot my coin I went back to the clubhouse and fetched it .

If that was impossible (like it's 5 min walk away) then I would use almost any method rather than asking the captains to play RPS

Which hand is better. It would make me appear slightly ridiculous which is what I deserve having forgotten the coin, rather than RPS which makes the captains appear faintly ridiculous

(This is why the referee chose it, he made the opposite choice and that is why he was suspend )

I agree that suspension was harsh !

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Childish? We're talking about grown adults larking about in a field after a ball; hardly ceremonies honouring the departed or struggles of life and death. It calls for perspective rather than pomposity.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I guess the Law makers in football, rugby, cricket and other sports applied perspective and decided that a coin toss was the best way

I remember being chided here for not doing the coin toss properly (tossing it myself rather than giving it to one captain as laid out in the Laws) .

Suitably chastised I do it properly now

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I guess the Law makers in football, rugby, cricket and other sports applied perspective and decided that a coin toss was the best way

I remember being chided here for not doing the coin toss properly (tossing it myself rather than giving it to one captain as laid out in the Laws) .

Suitably chastised I do it properly now

Funny. I didn't realise there was a proper way/etiquette as who tosses the bloody thing in the air??? On reflection I have no set way and sometimes ill hand the coin over and sometimes I'll just toss the thing myself....no one seems to care. But admittedly come finals time I hand the coin over to the "home" capt.

When I forget my coin it's a simple "you were on the field first what do you want to do?" (Again no audible complaints). But thats cause I had a sheltered childhood and RPS is too confusing.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Funny. I didn't realise there was a proper way/etiquette as who tosses the bloody thing in the air??? On reflection I have no set way and sometimes ill hand the coin over and sometimes I'll just toss the thing myself....no one seems to care. .

[LAWS]3.6 The referee organises the toss. One of the captains tosses a coin and the other captain calls. The winner of the toss decides whether to kick off or to choose an end. If the winner of the toss decides to choose an end, the opponents must kick off and vice versa.[/LAWS]

When I forget my coin it's a simple "you were on the field first what do you want to do?" (Again no audible complaints).

That would probably have earned that football ref a suspension as well :)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Funny. I didn't realise there was a proper way/etiquette as who tosses the bloody thing in the air??? On reflection I have no set way and sometimes ill hand the coin over and sometimes I'll just toss the thing myself....no one seems to care. But admittedly come finals time I hand the coin over to the "home" capt.

When I forget my coin it's a simple "you were on the field first what do you want to do?" (Again no audible complaints). But thats cause I had a sheltered childhood and RPS is too confusing.

I wonder if there are some gender politics happening here. Maybe the ref may have taken more care if it was a men's game and he's been given a big smack for disrespecting the fledgling womxn's game?

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I frequently forget a coin (or leave it in a changing room a mile away from the pitch). I don't see anything wrong with a quicklime of hide the whistle. Rock, paper scissors is a bit bizarre in TV game, but 3 week suspension? Give me a break.