always remember your coin ...

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think the clue is here

And here from BBC report

.. ie acting outside the laws and beyond his powers he forced two players to participate in something childish.
(Gosh, it reminds me strangely of some thing)

I completely understand why the FA took that view , and wanted to reprimand him for that

It is the FA that needs to grow up here.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I never had over the coin (actually it is a plastic token {black and white}). If I'm up the valley I will some times make a joke about it. Never had an issue with it.

We deciding who makes a choise about the Kick off. Not about leaving the flaming EU. Life is to short for this crap.

- - - Updated - - -

because using CPS is acceptable?

or that while CPS was inappropriate, the a suspension was too harsh ?

The first. Get real.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I wonder if there are some gender politics happening here. Maybe the ref may have taken more care if it was a men's game and he's been given a big smack for disrespecting the fledgling womxn's game?

I am not sure it's about gender per se - but definitely there is a suspicion he wouldn't have done RPS if he thought the game was properly important.

see menace's post 17 above : he doesn't bother too much about coin toss etiquette in an ordinary game, but when it's a final he takes care to do it properly...

let's face it : if any one of us was reffing the highest level cup -final we would ever be likely to get (1) we'd remember the coin and (2) if we did forget it it's really unlikely we'd start an important game like that by suggesting RPS, isn't it?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
[LAWS]3.6 The referee organises the toss. One of the captains tosses a coin and the other captain calls. The winner of the toss decides whether to kick off or to choose an end. If the winner of the toss decides to choose an end, the opponents must kick off and vice versa.[/LAWS]

That would probably have earned that football ref a suspension as well :)

Noted. Ta

(But my brain has limited capacity reserved for important laws that matter so I will probably file it away in the '"Claytons laws/who cares" draw within my brain along with the 'ball dimensions and air pressure'. :biggrin:)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
doing the toin coss wrong isn't going to be a big deal.

RPS has two things wrong with it
- it does trivialize the moment and seems a little disrespectful
- it's not actually random... people can be good at it...

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I must admit Rock Paper Scissors is my go to in the event that I haven't got a coin. Doesn't happen very often and was more common in my younger, (less organised, more carefree days). I have never had an issue with it. Captains are good natured about it.

I have even seen it a few times in club games on the TV show we have here "Grass Roots Rugby", which covers a lot of clubs from all stripes, particularly from rural areas.

Having said all that, if I was refereeing a serious game on TV I would make sure I had a coin - and if I didn't I would borrow one. Serious overreaction from the FA though.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
BBC cricket social is right now disucssing the toss in cricket and the following suggestion was made..

eg SL v Eng.

Both teams put in a sealed bid for the number of runs they are prepared to "give away".

So if SL bid 33 and Englkand bid 542, England thus win the toss, but when SL bat5 they START at 42-0.

So in rugby, A bids 10, B bids 13.
B wins the "toss" and elects to kick off or receive BUT the scoreboard starts
A 13 B 0

an intriguing idea...

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
That is a great idea for cricket ... but for rugby I think both captains would bid zero

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
The reality is that in rugby the toss is worth basically nothing. It's very rare that there is really a tangible advantage in winning the toss. - say where the wind is forecast to die down later on. I admit I don't take it all that seriously because it isn't something to worry about. There has to be a way of deciding who plays which way and who kicks off, but the outcome is normally irrelevant to who wins the game. Football is the same.

Cricket on the other hand is a game where the toss is vital, and often is the difference between winning or losing.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
BBC cricket social is right now disucssing the toss in cricket and the following suggestion was made..

eg SL v Eng.

Both teams put in a sealed bid for the number of runs they are prepared to "give away".

So if SL bid 33 and Englkand bid 542, England thus win the toss, but when SL bat5 they START at 42-0.

A 13 B 0

an intriguing idea...

didds

In the cricoet scenario a variation is for the team winning to give the number of runs bid by the loser +1. (an eBay style auction)

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

eg SL v Eng.

A 13 B 0

an intriguing idea...

didds

didds, that's 542-0 .... YIKES!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I like the baseball protocol where the home always bats second.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Was the RPS done live on TV or was it in private ?

If live on TV it prob wasnt appropriate, if in private who cares !

3 week suspension either way is way over the top, a quiet word in his ear would have been more appropriate.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
If you use RPS do you have just one go at it or best 2 out of 3?