[Law] Can a player return from a Yellow Card when the clock is beyond 80 minutes?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If there is injury time off does the sin-bin time clock stop also?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If there is injury time off does the sin-bin time clock stop also?

yes

[LAWS]10.5 Sanctions
(a)
Any player who infringes any part of the Foul Play Law must be admonished, or cautioned and temporarily suspended for a period of ten minutes’ playing time, or sent-off.[/LAWS]

BigClothesSir

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Haldfway through what? A scrum is a different phase because different laws apply.

Time has not expired but the 10 minutes YC playing time has. The laws do not cover the situation, so the referee has to make a decision.

However this is going to be pretty rare, so I doubt if most refs will ever have thought about it in advance.

Last play.

Just because there is a PK and a team has opted for a scrum doesn't change the fact that it is still "last play" and the binned player has no right to take part as he was in the bin when "last play" commenced.

I'm surprised how sympathetic some are to binned players. They should not transgress the laws of the game if they don't want to be off the park.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

However this is going to be pretty rare, so I doubt if most refs will ever have thought about it in advance.

I don't think he needs to, he just does the same as he would at any time in the game.
If it's a suitable break then the player can come back on, if it isn't he can't

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Last play.

Just because there is a PK and a team has opted for a scrum doesn't change the fact that it is still "last play" and the binned player has no right to take part as he was in the bin when "last play" commenced.

what's the Law you are relying on here?

I'm surprised how sympathetic some are to binned players. They should not transgress the laws of the game if they don't want to be off the park.

I have no sympathy - but once they have done ten mins they get to come back.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
the absurdio thing ...

if a game managed to play 20 minutes "extra" because of a mixture of poor ability to break the defense, brilliant defence and an occassional PK award and ended up beong won after 20 minutes of extra time by the team without the man in the biin, do you really think it totally "fair" that the team with the man in the bin in effect had him binned for 29 minutes?

I am swayed by both arguments, but its this aspect that makes me very uncomfortable.

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If he goes in the 71st minute I don't care what happens after that. There are only 9 minutes of playing-time remaining and therefore he cannot possibly come back, no matter what the circumstances.
That is an incorrect statement. There have been many instances of play carrying on well past 80 minutes.

If the 10 minutes playing time for the YC expires during those extra minutes you are asserting that there cannot be a suitable break in play for a return.

That is your view, but I see nothing in the laws that says yea or nay.

Ia a team opts for a scrum from a penalty award during normal play, would you refuse to allow a time-expired YC player to come back on for that scrum? It seems to be allowed without anybody raising questions.
Last play.

There is no such thing as "last play" because a further PK might be awarded.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
No, he flipping can't!!! :)

Oh yes he can! :)

but seriously - 10.5(a) says it's ten minutes playing time. What Law are you relying on to keep him off the field after that? (once a suitable break in play comes along, obviously)

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
You two may have to agree to disagree. (pretty please.)

L'irlandais

Post Likes
the absurdio thing ...

if a game managed to play 20 minutes "extra" because of a mixture of poor ability to break the defense, brilliant defence and an occassional PK award and ended up beong won after 20 minutes of extra time by the team without the man in the biin, do you really think it totally "fair" that the team with the man in the bin in effect had him binned for 29 minutes?

I am swayed by both arguments, but its this aspect that makes me very uncomfortable.

didds
somewhen before the 20 minutes of overtime ticked up on the clock, I would be blowing for a knock on.
Not sure anybody would be arguing with me, after 100 minutes of intense defense.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
somewhen before the 20 minutes of overtime ticked up on the clock, I would be blowing for a knock on.
Not sure anybody would be arguing with me,.

except perhaps the guy who didn't actually knock it on!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ia a team opts for a scrum from a penalty award during normal play, would you refuse to allow a time-expired YC player to come back on for that scrum? It seems to be allowed without anybody raising questions.

to heap on another complication : if circumstances had meant that scrums have been forced to uncontested pending the return of the YC player, then I think there would be a compulsion to bring the STE player back on now... as well as an entitlement.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
to heap on another complication : if circumstances had meant that scrums have been forced to uncontested pending the return of the YC player

I was thinking along those lines.

What about the following situation: Red are 4 points down and have had a very dominant scrum throughout the game. A yellow front row (they don't have any other FR players on the bench) is YC'd on 71 minutes leading to uncontested scrums. On 82 minutes, Red are awarded a 5m penalty. The red captain asks you if, since 10 minutes has passed, the yellow FR can come back on for a contested scrum.

Are you really going to tell him "no, it's uncontested scrums for the rest of the game"?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was thinking along those lines.

What about the following situation: Red are 4 points down and have had a very dominant scrum throughout the game. A yellow front row (they don't have any other FR players on the bench) is YC'd on 71 minutes leading to uncontested scrums. On 82 minutes, Red are awarded a 5m penalty. The red captain asks you if, since 10 minutes has passed, the yellow FR can come back on for a contested scrum.

?

1 -- to me - whetver your answer is, it must be the same in the 82nd minute as it is in the 32nd

2 -- IMO the answer is 'yes, his time up, he comes on'

L'irlandais

Post Likes
except perhaps the guy who didn't actually knock it on!
Don't they all say "But sir, it never was a..... .... "

My thinking is these same players have dawdled to every scrum and line-out, reducing effective playing time down to 50 minutes. And now all of a sudden they wake up, 20 minutes in the red.

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Not sure anybody would be arguing with me, after 100 minutes of intense defense.

so you are going to make up a non existent infringement/mistake? Really?

when else do you make up stuff when reffing?

isn't that rather playing God with the team's fates?

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
My thinking is these same players have dawdled to every scrum and line-out, reducing effective playing time down to 50 minutes. And now all of a sudden they wake up, 20 minutes in the red.

Whose game is it?

didds

L'irlandais

Post Likes
- - - Updated - - -

didds,
Yes really.
I have never heard of a game running to 20 minutes into the red! (Allowing that the clock shows playing time) that means that a 3pm kick-off is still going at 5pm. Every breakdown involves several faults than go unpunished for the sake of a free flowing game. ( 9 digging out the ball for example) More than happy to blow for a knock-on. You as a coach will be 50m from play, all you will be aware is the ref called time.

Last edited: