[Law] Can a player return from a Yellow Card when the clock is beyond 80 minutes?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
There is a useful clarification in Law:
[LAWS]Clarification 2 2007

Ruling in Law by the Designated Members of the Rugby Committee
Ruling2-2007
Union / HP Ref ManagerIRFU
Law Reference3
Date12 March 2007
Request
1. A penalty kick is awarded to White team. Before the kick is taken, can White team make a substitution? (If so, we assume that the substitute can take the penalty kick.)

2. A penalty kick is awarded to White team. Before the kick is taken can a previously sin-binned White player return; given that the 10 minutes have fully elapsed? (If so, we assume that the returning player may take the penalty kick.)

Ruling in Law by the Designated Members of the Rugby Committee
A substitution can only be made when the ball is dead. A referee must not let a player rejoin the match until the ball is dead. The ball is dead when the ball is out of play. This happens when the ball has gone outside the playing area and remained there, or when the referee has blown the whistle to indicate a stoppage in play, or when a conversion kick has been taken.

In both cases outlined above, the ball is dead, and therefore the answer to each question is in the affirmative.[/LAWS]

At a PK, the ball is dead, the player may return. So if 80 min has gone, but there is a PK, then the player may return.
In both cases the team awarded the penalty has the player in the bin, so of course they can decide not to take a quick tap. That will allow the referee to bring the player back on and speak to him if necessary before play is resumed.

That clarification does not apply if the penalty is awarded to the opposition, who may well decide to take a quick tap.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In both cases the team awarded the penalty has the player in the bin, so of course they can decide not to take a quick tap. That will allow the referee to bring the player back on and speak to him if necessary before play is resumed.

That clarification does not apply if the penalty is awarded to the opposition, who may well decide to take a quick tap.

of course.

Red player in bin

Red PK - he's going to be able to come on
Blue PK - if they take a tap then no time, he stays off. If they choose a scrum or kick for goal, then ball is dead, and on he comes

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I had a match last week that ran to 47 mins of playing time :swet: there were numerous PK's in that period (and yes YC too), but the only break in that period was when I asked if they wanted me to bin a defender after the 3rd PK in 2 mins.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had a match last week that ran to 47 mins of playing time :swet: there were numerous PK's in that period (and yes YC too), but the only break in that period was when I asked if they wanted me to bin a defender after the 3rd PK in 2 mins.

did you actually have time-expired YC players waiting to come on?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think the point was that he may have and that seven minutes extra playing time was played. In other words if a 71 minute YC was not allowed on he would have actually been binned for 16 minutes.

Didn;t quite get what BFG meant by "I asked if they wanted me to bin a defender after the 3rd PK in 2 mins." - maybe he meant he was asking the naughty side's skipper a somewhat ironic/sardonic/sarcastic rhetorical question ;-)

didds