Dear America....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
97% of 23% who voted.

Are you suggesting I gave an inaccurate presentation ? that my 97% wasn't factual and became misleading?

Ironically 97% is used as fact when discussing man made Co2 emissions as the cause of "climate change" or "global warming" which ever phrase is correct. I wonder how they came up with 97% in that steadfast fact.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Research and analysis?

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Mr Browder says some interesting truths about the whole Trump/Russia fiasco. Listened to him during a lively interview on Irish radio over the weekend.

:shrug: Along the lines of "Never attribute to conspiracy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" Seems Potus may be mega rich, but that in itself is no proof of intelligence. Much of Trump's wealth comes from property to Russians in the USA Strange he hasn't disclosed as much, must have slipped his mind, being that he is so busy.

It is paradoxical that somebody so gormless could defy the Darwinian evolutionary theory.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Well, what do you expect from a President who is prone to making policy in bursts of no more than 140 characters?

L'irlandais

Post Likes
I expected him to become entangled in the web of lies he has spun, much sooner. His lawyer denies he influenced his son's statement on the meeting with the Russian woman, only for Potus to contradict that "fact", now she insists it is of no consequence. Perhaps she is dumb enough to be missing the enormity of this turn of events.
from linked BBC article:
The president was flying home last month aboard Air Force One from the G8 summit in Germany when he told his son what to say, according to the newspaper. Mr Trump Jr's statement said he and Ms Veselnitskaya "primarily discussed a programme about the adoption of Russian children".
The fact the President of the USA didn't appreciate the link between adoption and the sanctions is scary. Unless he judges the rest of us by his own standards, and thinks we are all as dumb as he is.

Last edited:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Trumps tweets are the political equivalent of 'Cute Kitten' videos on YouTube. They are a distraction. And the media jump at the bait. Actually the media impale themselves on an empty hook as there is no substance there. Perhaps that's not fair as the print media still has plenty of meat but who wants to read when you can turn to the TV and be entertained by a panel of babbling heads.

I'm house sitting for a month with cable access and I've already tuned out CNN. Fortunately I've discovered "Impractical Jokers".

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Trumps tweets are the political equivalent of 'Cute Kitten' videos on YouTube. They are a distraction. And the media jump at the bait. Actually the media impale themselves on an empty hook as there is no substance there. Perhaps that's not fair as the print media still has plenty of meat but who wants to read when you can turn to the TV and be entertained by a panel of babbling heads.

I'm house sitting for a month with cable access and I've already tuned out CNN. Fortunately I've discovered "Impractical Jokers".

Have you watched Family Fued with steve Harvey?

1st paragraph is accurate BTW

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Perhaps a man in his position shouldn't be making such frivolous tweets.

A sensible approach to* this investigation needs to figure out a less-sensationalized and divisive underlying target than “treason”. It is also time to update our legislation about what wars can be in the 21st century. We are not likely to see a full-fledged armed conflict between the U.S. and any of the nuclear powers. But an insidious war of misinformation can be just as destructive to our society.*

By lifting sanctions, Donald Trump will directly comfort Putain, If not quite an "enemy" of the USA, then at least a competitor of democracy. Quoted article

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Perhaps a man in his position shouldn't be making such frivolous tweets.

By lifting sanctions, Donald Trump will directly comfort Putain, If not quite an "enemy" of the USA, then at least a competitor of democracy. Quoted article

A vote in congress with 2 nay votes was just passed concerning sanctions. I also takes away Presidential ability to remove sanctions. I think that happened just this week (end of julyish ).

Now Trump should veto it, but I do not know its current status. He should veto only because legislation should not be passed limiting powers of President. It is a dangerous precedent to have set. A veto would put the burden of precedent on Congress not Trump. In turn this will not effect the duties of future presidents.

To my knowledge the sanctions are in effect and 755 diplomats are out of work in Russia.

But hey, great article from Big Think 2 APR 17. Did you catch the other Big Think article on what the world will look like 4 degrees warmer? New Zealand and Australia had better get their immigration laws in order in preparation. A great presentation of inarguable science. There is a paradox for ya L'irl

L'irlandais

Post Likes
The passing of 4 months does make the article less valid. Trump signed the sanctions only because he had to, not because he wanted to.
That is what is worrying about DT, he wanted to let VP get away with murder. If DT is the last bastion of Western democracy then we are in big trouble.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
The article also lost me when it referred to Dick Cheney as a warhawk.

A more accurate and more derogatory description is a chickenhawk, a warhawk is complementary is his case.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
DT is a bit of a chicken hawk himself by all accounts. Hasn't in any way stopped him from making bellicose statements about North Korea.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
DT is a bit of a chicken hawk himself by all accounts. Hasn't in any way stopped him from making bellicose statements about North Korea.

Tru dat.

Yes to the second sentence. That is a chickenhawk. Problem is chickenhawks can be correct.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
He should veto only because legislation should not be passed limiting powers of President.
I don't know how the legislation was framed, but I suspect sanctions are on the borders of Legislative and Executive powers, so that it is unclear who wins this game of Rochambeau. If Congress purported to take away known Executive Powers from the President, surely the third party(Judiciary) would step in and strike the legislation down?

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
The European Union has warned of possible retaliation if European companies are hobbled by sanctions aimed at squeezing Russia’s energy exports.

from

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-add-concerns-in-signing-russia-sanctions-law

for L'irl, kind of current for today 2 Aug 17

also from article for your entertainment

U.S. lawmakers said they wanted to prevent the president from acting unilaterally to lift penalties imposed by Trump’s predecessor, former President Barack Obama, for Russia’s meddling in last year’s U.S. election and for its aggression in Ukraine.

my rebuttal for L'irl, I guess this is not meddling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2PNLz5ml8A

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I don't know how the legislation was framed, but I suspect sanctions are on the borders of Legislative and Executive powers, so that it is unclear who wins this game of Rochambeau. If Congress purported to take away known Executive Powers from the President, surely the third party(Judiciary) would step in and strike the legislation down?

This would be an interesting question for SCOTUS. Given the very clear majority that this received, I'm not sure they'd be in a hurry to overturn it. Or indeed hear the case

L'irlandais

Post Likes
France was, for the most part, very relieved to avoid getting a far right-wing President.
Emmanuel Macron, like Trump, is the political outsider. The difference is, the Frenchman, has some chance of fulfilling, at least some of, his electoral promises. Even if DT does build a wall, it will not achieve what he promised. And the "If" on building the damn thing, is one very big if.

Last edited:

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
France was, for the most part, very relieved to avoid getting a far right-wing President.
Emmanuel Macron, like Trump, is the political outsider. The difference is, the Frenchman, has some chance of fulfilling, at least some of, his electoral promises. Even if DT does build a wall, it will not achieve what he promised. And the "If" on building the damn thing, is one very big if.

Is this a response to my post #256 concerning EU disappointment with Russian sanctions passed by Congress and "gleefully" signed into by Trump. ? Sanctions that were put in place in part for Russia's meddling in 2016 election

I was also pointing out the irony that these sanctions were put in place by Obama for meddling, yet he had a you tube video promoting Marcon.

The difference between these meddling instances is that that one is correct the other is not. So some meddling is good and some meddling is bad.? or should outsiders not get involved and allow the nation's voters to decide?

your opinion on the effect of Russian sanctions on France and your opinion on Obamas meddling in France's election, please

Last edited:

L'irlandais

Post Likes
I think you are missing the point, perhaps intentionally missing the point. Either way, I will leave the discussion there. My opinion of EM is irrelevant, in fact if EM doesn't live up to more of his election promises, he may soon find himself classed as irrelevant.

The Russian meddling in American politics, predates the election. See this article for details;
Why Does the Kremlin Care So Much About the Magnitsky Act?
(Or What Russian officials mean when they talk about “adoptions”). The beef here is lobbyists, must declare if they are being paid by a foreign power. Yet none of the anti-Magnitsky-lobby have done so.
It’s why Senator John McCain called it a “pro-Russia” law, and many in the Russian opposition agreed: it went after not the Russian people, but the elites who stole from them with brazen impunity.

The election of DT and Russian interference in same are beside the point. Those buying condos from DT are the same individuals targeted by the earlier sanctions. DT doesn't wish to impoverish his (potential ?) buyers, it would seem. Putin’s corrupt regime and its intention to cause global chaos is far more worrying than the growing stupidity of those in the White House. As Putin himself said, nobody will survive a war between Russia and the US.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.