England vs Ireland Stamp

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
What is going through the ref's mind letting the stamp go ?

Yes Cole pulled the maul down and was penalised for it, Healey had no need to stamp on him.

If I saw that its getting a yellow at an absolute minimum if not a red.

Ben

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
How are the officials missing this a strike to the player on the floor.

Surely if the players are getting so wound up you think about why

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
dunno who that bloke in the red is on the pitch. is he the pizza delivery man?

didds

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
disgraceful by Healey and I suspect a citing will follow

unimpressed by our French friend today - off the pace and the intensity

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Straight red if I had seen it (of course we had the benefit of TV replays). I agree with Simon, the French ref just didn't (stamp!) his authority on the game at all. He kept talking to the captains about discipline but nothing changed. He also got hold of a couple of shirts during the general free for all handbags, not a good idea I've been told and why was that line out given when Kearney deliberately put his hand in touch - surely a penalty - or at least a penalty for holding on?

Gracie

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
For me the stamping was a straight red. I can only assume the ref and AR did not see it. Whilst an incident can happen right in front of you, it does not always mean you can see it.

The Kearney one is an interesting one. Surely in effect he deliberately threw the ball into touch and this was my instinctive observation on first sight. Anyone else have a view on this. My thought was YC and then wondering about PT, but would probably have settled for a penalty

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Stamp Should habve been red. The flying stiff arm right in fron of Nigel, why di dhe ignore it as he was striaght on the pitch to difuse the aftermath.
The hand into toch put me on the spot in my club. I would say he was stationary and in possession then put his arm out to make touch.
So he didn't regain his feet to play the ball, Penalty

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
why was that line out given when Kearney deliberately put his hand in touch - surely a penalty

What law was broken?

Surely in effect he deliberately threw the ball into touch

But in reality he threw nothing anywhere.

or at least a penalty for holding on?

Law 14 here not Law 15. He must release, or get up with the ball, or pass the ball - with an opponent all over him then releasing was his only option - and maybe a PK for not doing so would have been appropriate. He is required not to prevent an opponent from playing the ball, 14.1.c would seem appropriate.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
The hand in touch - absolutely fine. He managed it before the England players got hands on the ball, so put himself in touch. He chose to do that rather than give up the PK, or give up the ball (and probably i nhis mind a try). Clever play.

As for Healey - discrace to the Irish team. Enough said. For me it was a stamp to a joint, off the ball (in fact the Irish SH had the ball in hand). Straight red. Then his later actions - nuff said.

LankyStreak

Referees in England
Post Likes
I absolutely hate this "it was right in front of the ref" rubbish. My kids pull faces at me behind my back all the time without me knowing. Just because he was next to it it doesn't mean his eyes were not looking somewhere else.

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Today's match was always going to be a tough one - just a bit too much for our French friend who let it all slip away a bit.
However, he deserved the chance - will they give him another one?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just seen it on YouTube (was reffing when the game was on).
Looks as if he is in big trouble, nowhere near the ball, premeditated, deliberate, on a joint, etc.

Wouldn't surprise me if green 6 got looked at as well, ball was long gone when he went mountain climbing on Cole.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Healy should have gone for that.

Kearney's play was very smart, similar to Elton Flatley in the 2003 world cup final.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Why is the hand in touch any different from a foot in touch?

Clever play, well done.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Meh. About the same as the Tipuric stamp earlier.

3 weeks would be fair but who knows.

LankyStreak

Referees in England
Post Likes
The ref allowed Robshaw to approach him on every Irish penalty to have a debate. He did not look in control.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I don't think he was debating, more querying what they were for. Which was good because nobody else knew either.

Kempy

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
My initial reaction to Kearney's hand was penalty, you cant do that. And, may have penalised in the spur of the moment as it just didn't look right. I then thought, "what for"? and I cant think what he did wrong.

If he was turned round 180 degrees and deliberately put his foot in touch I wouldn't have thought anything was strange. Imagine it was a try scoring stretch with ball in hand, he reached out and did not wriggle or have a double movement (I know theres no such thing but you know what I mean). He did this quick enough not to be pinged for holding on so I reckon it was a clever thing to do in the circumstances.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I agree with Jones - Robshaw is very good in his dialogue with match officials. Usually calm and questioning not accusing, with good facial and body language - open, friendly, etc. And also with LankyStreak re lack of referee control.

Unfortunately neither the referee's management and communication skills, nor the styles he adopted were up to the intensity of the match in front of him in poor weather conditions. We all have to learn and he should take a lot of learned experience out of his de- briefs and DVD analysis sessions. He will return a better referee. Management got a ND from me on that performance in a highly challenging match.

He looked a little lost and out of his depth at times, but England's discipline was excellent, apart from petulant Wellie Boy Haskell (he has always been like that).

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
My initial reaction to Kearney's hand was penalty, you cant do that. And, may have penalised in the spur of the moment as it just didn't look right. I then thought, "what for"? and I cant think what he did wrong.

If he was turned round 180 degrees and deliberately put his foot in touch I wouldn't have thought anything was strange. Imagine it was a try scoring stretch with ball in hand, he reached out and did not wriggle or have a double movement (I know theres no such thing but you know what I mean). He did this quick enough not to be pinged for holding on so I reckon it was a clever thing to do in the circumstances.

especially with a pro- AR whom he could be confident would flag.
half the TJs I get I am not sure they would even notice...