First Appointment for the new season......

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Got my first appt. L6 (new this season) v a Welsh club side this saturday, could be interesting!

appts for sept also in L9,8,8,8 :biggrin:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Got My first one Saturday my own club level 8 v Millom up the road newly level 7
After recovering from Illness in Feb I'm a littl apprehensive but looking forward to it

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
After recovering from Illness in Feb I'm a littl apprehensive but looking forward to it

Ciaran, I'm glad to read you are well and back in the saddle so to speak. Take care and enjoy your run out. :bday:

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Pfft, you had priorities, whether it was crushing northern girls, drinking pints of lager 'til you peed yourself or generally eating a lot of curry, these things are all acceptable at Uni. Once you leave, they're a no-go.
Group at 22 is, well, pretty awesome (unless your a 30 year old postgraduate, or a mature student, or just a dumbass, in which case nevermind).

One out of three Bryan - he's a dumbass. :biggrin:

Two games for me already - decent run out at Doncaster v Hull followed by a right spanking of Otley by Currie. First league game on 27th with Sedgley Park visiting Cambridge. Always fun trying to keep up with the Cambridge boys on a hard early season pitch! Don't think we'll be short of tries...

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Pfft, you had priorities, whether it was crushing northern girls, drinking pints of lager 'til you peed yourself or generally eating a lot of curry, these things are all acceptable at Uni. Once you leave, they're a no-go.
Group at 22 is, well, pretty awesome (unless your a 30 year old postgraduate, or a mature student, or just a dumbass, in which case nevermind).

He went to Durham, there won't have been any Northern girls!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I already had my first 15s game last week, the WI select side vs CARFU (Chicago Area) select,
Impressive. Over here, the Women's Institute can't recruit anyone under 40 let alone U.15, possibly because they spend their time making jam rather than playing rugby. Respect to the more enlightened attitude your side of the pond.

my club's first pre-season against a side of Toff's from Surrey :biggrin:
Which set of toffs? A team not unadjacent to Chelsea FC's training ground recently built a new clubhouse. The seed-money for the project was the surplus from a member's house move. The new house cost £300k less than the old, so he donated the surplus to the club's building fund. Why doesn't my club have members like that?

Or if there were, it's so dark and grim oop there he probably missed them in the natural gloom or despondency of the area, or the enhanced version generated by being within the concrete bunker of the Student's Union.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
*awaits inevitable question from Cody*

Google it dude. Just google it.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

good job really, as they're all desperate ugly whores who smell of burgers.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I believe the SW and the Midlands groups both have a similar number to the North, and as such I probably would have moved straight across to their group. QUOTE]

SWG has 13 referees to cover the seven L5 League matches each weekend, plus one reserve referee. So fewer L5 matches each season for our guys compared to the six in London.

Sorry to break the news - no way would you have automatically transferred to SW Group. SWG has had two referees put on Panel for this season, and so promoted two Federation Refs (out of 12 good candidates from SWG's five Federations) leaving 10 disappointed candidates - why should any of their Pathways for which they have worked for at least three years be blocked due to a shoe-in transfer for you. Why would Steve H increase his referee numbers to 14 (for which he wouldn't have the budget anyway).

You would have had to go through the nomination and review process like everyone else, which starts around March time, when L6's looking good are given L5 'testers'. You would have an advantage in that you are L5 proven already. Reports are reviewed, potential assessed, Steve H would had talked to Paul R, Leysh consulted etc and a decision made.

What happened with London ? Did you give them plenty of warning that you were coming back ? Were you already on DB and Leysh's radar ? Are there really only 6 SEG refs ? So who does the extra L5 League match, and who covers for unavailability / injury etc ?

I am sure you will get yourself noticed by DB (he is a very fair guy) and things will happen for you soon enough - do you have an established mentor / champion in London Society ? As someone in your early twenties you are at the right end of your career to progress. Peter C is mid-twenties and Ben W only 20 in his second year at Uni. Both are ex-Hampshire Young Offcials and were both L5 SEG last season - so good enough = old enough.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
that'll be Crawley RFC, see you there Wert!
Good grief!! They're not toffs. They live in a sh!tpit under Gatwick's flight path - a more southerly Slough, really. In Crawley, the unemployment rate is 20% higher than for the South East as a whole, and figures for the low-paid receiving tax credits are 23% higher. Give 'em a decent square meal, and set 'em up for a good start to the season.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Whoever appointed you to that is not a good communicator. It is the Impalas vs the South Side Irish from Chicago. It will be the best level you have had so far. White River will be hosting their benefit on the day.

will the ref society have oxygen available for stoo? barker, you trying to kill him out of the gates? get ready to run matey...

Stoo48

Referees in America
Post Likes
I'm ready to run, actually done some pre season training this year. Including rather stupidly a sprint triathlon, I'm running 3-4 times a week as well as cyclying and swimming.

Still not sure what has come over me in recent weeks with all this training, but I have changed shape significantly. Now if only I could lose some weight.

Barker tells me the teams are a level 4 (UK 6 or 7) but may play like a 5 due to South Side Irish not being quite as quick as the Impala's. Really looking forward to it although Harry Laws (Assessor) is supposed to be watching me and I hate being watched on my first run out of the year.....

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
I hate being watched on my first run out of the year.....

I hear you there. Nothing like having a bit higher game to start the year off AND being evaluated. I appreciate both, but the second or third weekend would be nice.

Stoo48

Referees in America
Post Likes
Exactly Woody, but I guess the assessors need practice too :chin:

sgoat

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I believe the SW and the Midlands groups both have a similar number to the North, and as such I probably would have moved straight across to their group.

SWG has 13 referees to cover the seven L5 League matches each weekend, plus one reserve referee. So fewer L5 matches each season for our guys compared to the six in London.

Sorry to break the news - no way would you have automatically transferred to SW Group. SWG has had two referees put on Panel for this season, and so promoted two Federation Refs (out of 12 good candidates from SWG's five Federations) leaving 10 disappointed candidates - why should any of their Pathways for which they have worked for at least three years be blocked due to a shoe-in transfer for you. Why would Steve H increase his referee numbers to 14 (for which he wouldn't have the budget anyway).

That was not the impression I got from the North as I was leaving!
What was said was that
i) L5 is L5, and the standard of all 4 groups is meant to be the same, as such if you are L5 standard in the North you are of the same standard in the SW/Midlands/SE
ii) Quid pro quo - people have transferred between groups before and have been accepted at their grade, if that happens to be at L5 why should they be demoted? Would a L6 who transferred be demoted to L7?

I understand that the size of the group plays a part and that is why I accept that I am on the fringe of the SE group.

You would have had to go through the nomination and review process like everyone else, which starts around March time, when L6's looking good are given L5 'testers'. You would have an advantage in that you are L5 proven already. Reports are reviewed, potential assessed, Steve H would had talked to Paul R, Leysh consulted etc and a decision made.

So if you got a Hampshire young official onto SWG and they refereed for a season at L5 and then went to uni in Durham you would expect that referee to have to spend a year at L6 and go through the full nomination process again???

What happened with London ? Did you give them plenty of warning that you were coming back ? Were you already on DB and Leysh's radar ? Are there really only 6 SEG refs ? So who does the extra L5 League match, and who covers for unavailability / injury etc ?
I spoke with DB at the NSS at Easter time, but at that stage I was not sure where I would be working, so it was just a heads up.

There is a group of L6 referees who cover the extra L5 each week. I have been given a couple of good pre-season games and then two L6 games leading up to a L5 league game in week 3. It will be up to me to impress in those and see where we go from there.

I am sure you will get yourself noticed by DB (he is a very fair guy) and things will happen for you soon enough - do you have an established mentor / champion in London Society ? As someone in your early twenties you are at the right end of your career to progress. Peter C is mid-twenties and Ben W only 20 in his second year at Uni. Both are ex-Hampshire Young Officials and were both L5 SEG last season - so good enough = old enough.
That is the point, I am young and want to get to panel as soon as I can.

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
I'm ready to run, actually done some pre season training this year. Including rather stupidly a sprint triathlon, I'm running 3-4 times a week as well as cyclying and swimming.

Still not sure what has come over me in recent weeks with all this training, but I have changed shape significantly. Now if only I could lose some weight.

Barker tells me the teams are a level 4 (UK 6 or 7) but may play like a 5 due to South Side Irish not being quite as quick as the Impala's. Really looking forward to it although Harry Laws (Assessor) is supposed to be watching me and I hate being watched on my first run out of the year.....

It will be a UK 6 for sure. Running over all the dead bodies buried on the haunted insane asylum campus will make you feel light. Stay away from the death tree

People say that the empty lot where the main buildings once sat is the darkest place in the world, and that no matter how many lights are used, the area remains dark and heavy. Some believe it is the result of hundreds of deaths there, combined with th pain and suffering of former patients. Those who walk passed the empty lot are also said to hear the sound of wailing moans or the cries of former patients, and see strange shadows moving across the grass. There is also a tree where screams and moans are heard; in the 1940s, two patients fought, and one killed the other by beating him to death with a large rock. Some claim the patients themselves can also be seen, running through the field.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Has Peter C got onto the panel now?