Fitness for refereeing

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
90 min bike session? Power output changing during that period I assume?
Yes. The classes do come with descriptions ("Aerobic Endurance", "Hills", "Anaerobic Intervals") but it's always the same.

HR goes from 150, up to 195, then back down, again and again, like a game. The instructors have stopped trying to tell me about my "HR zone" b/c their scales dont apply. (My AT is at 185, while their scale says it should be at 185-Age, which for me is...well...not working!)

DaveT said:
Why do refs need to do weights - OK a bit, for balance and core strength, fine, but surely stamina and sprint training are paramount.
Increased strength transfers into an increase in power, which transfers into moving yourself faster over a shorter distance.
It's not about increasing in size, but rather explosive power. I wouldnt be anywhere near as fast if all I did was sprint drills and running, but I'm only speaking personally.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Sometimes.........I deliberately leave the remote control for the TV on the other side of the room, so I have to get up off the sofa to change channel.........AND REST :swet:

Last edited:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Sometimes I wrestle too, normally to get the remote off the kids or the wife. I normally win unless they gang up. :rolleyes:

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Yes. The classes do come with descriptions ("Aerobic Endurance", "Hills", "Anaerobic Intervals") but it's always the same.

HR goes from 150, up to 195, then back down, again and again, like a game. The instructors have stopped trying to tell me about my "HR zone" b/c their scales dont apply. (My AT is at 185, while their scale says it should be at 185-Age, which for me is...well...not working!)

Increased strength transfers into an increase in power, which transfers into moving yourself faster over a shorter distance.
It's not about increasing in size, but rather explosive power. I wouldnt be anywhere near as fast if all I did was sprint drills and running, but I'm only speaking personally.
You should ask for a turn on the 7's circuit.

jeff

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Originally Posted by DaveT
Why do refs need to do weights - OK a bit, for balance and core strength, fine, but surely stamina and sprint training are paramount.)

Im in the gym 5 days a week and all i do is weights.
The reason is to build up the body mass that i have lost over the season.
And also to get the power that i have lost and it does pay off.
I have never had a bad mark for fitness.
Im in the gym for 90 mins and will have a good workout.
Im now doing dumbells on the bench of 3x10. 38kg and hope to get up to the max in the gym of 50kg. I also take a multi gain shake and have gained 16lb with no fat whatso ever.
Im still doing 7's and ref touch rugby a couple of times a week.
my main food in take is chicken chiken and chicken. and love weetabix.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i hate exercising indoors... too boring, too hot, to sweaty.

- one thing I love about cycling is that you are going somewhere, which can easily be somewhere beautiful, or new or interesting
- I always run outdoors, never on a treadmill
- swimming alas, that's indoors and soooo boring :-(

the best exercise in terms of time is surely commuting by bike. My commute is seventeen miles and on a bike it takes 60-65 mins. On the train/tube it takes .. 60-65 mins so it's effectively no time at all. On the way home, true, I lose time to get changed and showering again but overall all I get about 2h10 mins of exercise at the costs of about 20mins out of my day, brilliant.

gwgs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I go to circuit training and play squash with an occasional outdoor run.

If I do accidentally find myself in a gym I do 20mins interval on some sort of cardio machine, upper body weights for 20 mins and an all over (though I suppose a lot of core muscle) resistance circuit for 20 mins. Then I get the hell out of there.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
(My AT is at 185, while their scale says it should be at 185-Age, which for me is...well...not working!)

I'm not surprised... 220-age or 185-age*0.7 or 170-square root of your dogs former owner's shoe size times the last two digits of your zip code etc are all just huge approximations that probably fit less than 50% of the population in reality!

The only way to find your real Max Heart rate is through proper testing (usually at Lactate Threshold HR). Its frankly pretty shoddy (and indicative of something I really don't want to think about) that an alleged fitness professional either doesn't understand this, or is being told to not show understanding.

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
that's nice, thank you, but I will deserve respect only when (if!) I finish it!

I have several chums that have done L'Etape. I know the levels of training they had to do for it. I was doing 90 minute hard spinning classes in january 2010 with one group... I piked out cos I couldn't afford it (unemployed at the time) ... plus my rather measly 90Km requirement for my half ironman didn't
really warrant such beasting so early in the schedule :)

The respect is for the training your doing :)

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Actually there is a good watersports place near me - old gravel pits - that does swimming sessions - and I have been there a few times. It's wetsuits, and weeds and buoys at 250m, 500m, 750m that sort of thing. Yes its MUCH more fun! I am not a good swimmer I was training for sprint triathlon which is only 750m. 10k is VERY long way

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
Stu, keep it simple. Put together 4 week sessions, start at an easy 4 week session session and work to the final session that makes you vomit. People can pick where they are at and start there. Jamo can put our diet together and we'll be all set.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Bryan said:
What the f**k is this, a democracy? You get selected. Based on merit. There is no "turn" policy.

Hehe, :wink:

That was too easy Bryan :)

Should have probably added the :rolleyes: originally.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Stu, keep it simple. Put together 4 week sessions, start at an easy 4 week session session and work to the final session that makes you vomit. People can pick where they are at and start there. Jamo can put our diet together and we'll be all set.

I'm not getting involved...NOOOOOOO way!

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I'm not surprised... 220-age or 185-age*0.7 or 170-square root of your dogs former owner's shoe size times the last two digits of your zip code etc are all just huge approximations that probably fit less than 50% of the population in reality!

The only way to find your real Max Heart rate is through proper testing (usually at Lactate Threshold HR). Its frankly pretty shoddy (and indicative of something I really don't want to think about) that an alleged fitness professional either doesn't understand this, or is being told to not show understanding.
In the last 3 years I've undergone VO2 max testing at the beginning of each season, and the numbers are at least consistent (Max HR 206-208, with an AT at 185-189 and VO2 at 55 mg/ml/kg), so my simple goal was never to increase VO2 capacity, but rather focus on the speed and power (if I was hitting the VO2 requirements at the beginning of the season, then f**k it, that wasnt the area of concern)

Who the f**K comes up with these metrics anyways? 220-AGE means my HR should be at 192, which is nowhere close.

I also have a greater appreciation for those who train for elite events and the demands it puts on them and their lifestyle. Us referees (and rugby players in general) have it really easy compared to rowers and triathletes!

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
Well I train a little sporadically meaning if I don't work I train:
Note this is because 7s/10s
Start day off with stretching about 20-30 mins dynamic
Bike 90 mins 15 hard 30 fast 15 hard 30 medium pace
Stretch 15 mins
About mid day sprints for about 30 mins
Warm up 1/4-1/2 mile sprint 40*5 50*4 100*2 200 100*2 50*4 40*5 stretch
Evening either ref soccer games (2-7 miles age/position) or if no soccer run 30-40 mins 7:00-7:15 pace

Diet-breakfast-fruit yogurt cheese
Lunch-bread peanut butter and jelly, fruit, cracker, iced tea
Dinner-fruit meat beef/chicken vegies
Lots of water throughout day sometimes watered down gatoraid

Cody

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Actually there is a good watersports place near me - old gravel pits - that does swimming sessions - and I have been there a few times. It's wetsuits, and weeds and buoys at 250m, 500m, 750m that sort of thing. Yes its MUCH more fun!

where be that? purely OOI.

I am not a good swimmer I was training for sprint triathlon which is only 750m. 10k is VERY long way

what makes you think I am a good swimmer ? :) I've never let a lack of ability ever prevent me from doing something stupid! :)

10K IS a long way. Currently I am up to 4.2 Km in long swims ... and that is long enough! I've done 5K in a pool once - and that IS decidedly tedious.

didds