Fitness for refereeing

MattSei

Referees in America
Post Likes
I started a new regimen at the start of the year, trying to improve my fitness and drop excess weight.

Training: Elliptical interval for 40 minutes 3 times a week, weight lifting ( 5 sets of 15 reps with low weight) and abdominal work the other 2 days.

Typical daily diet:
Breakfast: Small Blueberry muffin, applesauce, fat-free milk, and a slice of whole wheat bread
Midmorning: String Cheese and an apple
Lunch: Salad with grilled chicken and fat-free dressing
Midafternoon: Granola bar
Dinner: Small salad, grilled Salmon, steamed broccoli, brown rice, orange juice
And a hour before bed I have a light snack like a couple handfuls of popcorn

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
ddjamo - avatar.

Who's that girl throwing...like a girl?:eek:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I train how SHE tells me to train...

Not wearing a sports bra, yet nothing moves or wobbles when she does :chin: I'm thinking NOT REAL!

NB: I had to watch it half a dozen times to be sure!!

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Stu, age and general decripitude will perhaps militate against me doing the sort of fitness workouts that a keen young dude like Adam or Donal might undertake. You may want to consider different workouts for each decade of life, and let people pick and choose where they are? Someone more mature but with a military background and firm self disclipline (like Deeps; Phil E fails the maturity test:) ) may well be up for the 30's workout for example.

I have weakened my knees and ankles over the years, so during the last four seasons I have developed and maintained aerobic fitness with two 40' Spinning classes in the gym. One to two games per weekend on top of this is, I find, a decent exercise programme for the middle-aged man.

Diet: breakfast is a banana, oat-based cereal (perhaps with a bit of wheat chucked in) mixed with Ski fruit yoghurt. Lunch at work is soup, a roll and ski yoghurt. Evening main meal will typically be meat and three veg, with a dessert -perhaps a fruit crumble or fruit salad with ice cream.

Target weight: I aim to maintain a weight between 170 and 175 pounds throuhgout the season.

Off-season: I cycle. 28 mile round trip to work twice a week (average 16 mph); 5o miles at the weekend at about 12-14 mph.

Having read all the comments, this was my main worry about trying to write a cookie cutter style program.

Personally I train in the same manner as Bryan and ideally, would want everyone to train like that not just for rugby fitness but also for health benefits.

I would never do a program that asks me to run x miles per week but would quite happily do burpees, punch bag work and sprints until the cows come home, therein lies the tricky part in trying to write something useful!

I do think that mobility should be a good part of the program.

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
Meal program-
Breakfast- Protein shake, egg whites and blueberries
Morning snack- Apple and turkey
Lunch- Chicken breast, sweet potato and salad
Mid-day snack- Turkey breast sandwich on Ezekiel bread
Dinner- shrimp, salmon, salad and brocolli
Evening snack- Protein shake and apple

What I really ate
Breakfast- Eggo waffles
Morning snack- None
Lunch- Mongolian barbecue
Mid-day- Hershey bar
Dinner- Shrimp, salmon and brocolli
Evening snack- Rum

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
On what insane grounds is bacon not considered a superfood?

RugbyGeek

Referees in England
Post Likes
Fitness:
5km run 6 times a week
Gym (weights) 4 times a week

Diet (typical)
Breakfast: Bowl of oats
Lunch: Chicken salad
Mid-afternoon: chicken/sweetcorn sandwhich
Pre-gym: Protein shake
Post-gym: 5 peices of fruit
Dinner: Salad
...4 or 5 cups of coffee/day

Weight - pretty steady around 105kgs....(12% body fat)

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Fitness:
5km run 6 times a week
Gym (weights) 4 times a week
Hey Rugbygeek - a very warm welcome to the Forum. It's great to see a Springbok avatar here. We have plenty of Aussies, Kiwis, Boyos, Jocks and the hated English, with several Irishmen, but struggle to attract Saffers and Frogs (je m'excuse, L'Irlandais). Where are you from (apart from Sidmouth), and where else have you refereed?

RugbyGeek

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi Dixie,

Many thanks for the welcome and kind words.

Originally from CT - having played for WP back in the day, albeit briefly. Most of my rugby was played in the WP Super League for False Bay and Villagers.

Locally I spent a couple of yours at Winchester in Hampshire - mostly as a coach and CCC for the Club.

Have been reffing on/off for a couple of years whilst trying to play and coach, but had a major shoulder reconstruction in January, so unfortunately my playing days are now over. Full time reffing it is for me now :)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Welcome RugbyGeek - and you will find quite a few familiar Hampshire Refs (especially the Hampshire Welsh contingent) on here ! :biggrin:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
but don't let that put you off, there are some normal people here too :biggrin: